Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I go from 700 to 750?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How do I go from 700 to 750? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 17:59
I have been preparing for the GMAT since the last two months. I'm not doing an extensive preparation but I spend one hour every day including on the weekends. I 'm not able to spend more time because of the crazy workload I have in my job but I have now decided that I'll wrap up my GMAT within 2 months and want to work on my preparation accordingly.

I have taken the following CAT's until now and here are my scores:

PowerPrep CAT1 720 (Old Test, I guess not valid anymore)
Powerprep CAT2 740 (Old Test, I guess not valid anymore)
MGMAT CAT1 710 (Q47 V40)
MGMAT CAT2 690 (Q47 V38) (Took this CAT a month after the 1st MGMAT CAT with no practice in between. SC & CR really screwed me. Also timing was a big problem on both the MGMAT tests because the CAT's were pretty tough than GMATPrep, especially the Q section)

From the above scores I would think that my average score is around 700 and I would want to get my score upto 750. Are there any suggestions/recommendations that I can use to get my Quant score upto 50 and my verbal score upto 44?
Is it a question of doing more practice or are there any advanced concepts in Quant and Verbal that I need to learn? I have already gone through the MGMAT guides once and keep referring to the Word translations and SC guide periodically.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 12

Re: How do I go from 700 to 750? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 00:02
Expert's post
Have you worked through our Advanced Quant book? There's a lot of material there that is designed to help you fine-tune your high-end skills.

On the timing front, you should work on making sure that you are never more than 2 minutes behind the clock. If you find a particular problem especially challenging, let it go! Don't fall behind because of one problem. Even at the 750 level, you are going to miss many problems, and that's okay--it's part of the adaptive nature of the exam. So choose wisely where to invest time and where to cut loose.

On the verbal side, it depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are. Some of our students have benefitted from cross-training on the LSAT, which has more challenging Reading Comp and Critical Reasoning (called Logical Reasoning on the LSAT). You just need to avoid the "oddball" question types that show up on the LSAT, and focus on core skill such as Strengthen/Weaken and Inference.

If you can provide some more detail about your verbal experience and strengths/weaknesses, I may be able to provide more specific suggestions.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How do I go from 700 to 750? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 21:56
Thanks for your help, Dmitry.

In Quant my weakness is with word problems and probability. I sometimes take a lot of time to read and understand the problem and by the time I figure out what to do I have wasted precious time which then eats into the time allocated for other problems. I guess I need more practice.

In Verbal I think that I spend a lot of time on SC's to get them right(I still get 4/15 questions wrong) and then because of that I have to rush through the last questions getting them wrong. I have now read enough posts on this forum and I now realize that I have to avoid repeating this error. I'll make an effort to make sure that I do better time management during the test and make a few guesses on the way.

Any advice as to how to approach 700 level CR questions would also be appreciated. Sometimes I get a bunch of them wrong in the same test which affects my score esp Find the assumption CR problems.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 12

Re: How do I go from 700 to 750? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 23:26
Expert's post
Aha--I have just been talking about this issue with a few others in this forum.

Here's a link with more links:

practice-tests-scores-in-670-range-what-to-do-123101.html

And, to cement the timing issue, here's my take on timing:

gmat-in-5-weeks-strategy-122721.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: How do I go from 700 to 750?   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2011, 23:26