Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I go from here? Stuck at 600/620.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

How do I go from here? Stuck at 600/620. [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 22:50
I appreciate any help/pointers.

6 months back I took my very first diagnostic test without preparing for the GMAT.
I took a Manhattan GMAT CAT and scored 530 ( Quant - 33, Verbal - 30)

I bought the Manhattan Guides and read them all (did not do the OG questions) and took a second MGMAT CAT. I messed up on my timing pretty bad on this test.
I scored 600 ( Quant - 39, Verbal - 34).

After I gave this 2nd CAT, I solved the Official Guide verbal and math questions and took a GMAPrep CAT. I did way better with my timing on this test.
I scored a 620 (Quant - 40, Verbal - 35).

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am disappointed since I thought that after spending a month solving all the questions in the OG I would score much better.

Where do I go from here? My aim is to score a 720 or so.

Should I enroll in a GMAT Prep class with ManhattanGMAT etc? What other resources can I use to boost my score? My Quant scores are pretty bad although my verbal are not great either.

Thanks a lot for pointers.

Monika
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: How do I go from here? Stuck at 600/620. [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 01:45
A class will probably help. But if you can afford it, a tutor would be the best. Personally I used gmatninja.com and improved 150 points. I know there are plenty of great tutors out there, but I definitely recommend him.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

Re: How do I go from here? Stuck at 600/620. [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 02:59
monikajudd wrote:
I appreciate any help/pointers.

6 months back I took my very first diagnostic test without preparing for the GMAT.
I took a Manhattan GMAT CAT and scored 530 ( Quant - 33, Verbal - 30)

I bought the Manhattan Guides and read them all (did not do the OG questions) and took a second MGMAT CAT. I messed up on my timing pretty bad on this test.
I scored 600 ( Quant - 39, Verbal - 34).

After I gave this 2nd CAT, I solved the Official Guide verbal and math questions and took a GMAPrep CAT. I did way better with my timing on this test.
I scored a 620 (Quant - 40, Verbal - 35).

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am disappointed since I thought that after spending a month solving all the questions in the OG I would score much better.

Where do I go from here? My aim is to score a 720 or so.

Should I enroll in a GMAT Prep class with ManhattanGMAT etc? What other resources can I use to boost my score? My Quant scores are pretty bad although my verbal are not great either.

Thanks a lot for pointers.

Monika

Hi Monika,

As per your scores that read as below :

Before Mgmat Books :

Quant - 33 roughly translates to 38 % (Read percentile not percentage)
Verbal - 30 roughly translates to 56 %

After Mgmat Books and before OG :

Quant - 39 roughly translates to 55 %
Verbal - 34 roughly translates to 69 %

After OG :

620 You are struck at
Quant - 40 roughly translates to 59 %
Verbal - 35 roughly translates to 74 %

I could infer that ,

After Reading Mgmat books and doing OG,
    you have increased quant percentile from 38% to 55-59% i.e a meek increase by 17 to 21 %
    Also after doing the OG there was again a very insignificant increase in quant by a mere 4 %
    you have increased verbal percentile from 56% to 69-74% i.e a meek increase by 13 to 18 %
    Also after doing the OG there was again a very insignificant increase in verbal by a mere 5 %

A few things that might actually help:

1. Quant concepts are weak, Did you complete all Mgmat books for quant ? if so, review them again.
    2. Also use Mgmat Companion to understand the OG quant explanations better ! (OG quant explanation aren't that easy and subtle to understand).
    3. Use an error log for Verbal and Quant while doing OG problems. Search the forums on what an error log is and how to make best use of an error log.
    4. You stand at a good level as far as verbal is concerned. All you need is increase it by 5 more points to 40 (roughly translates to 89%). So, Get used to more and more 700 level problems in verbal
    5. Use the Mgmat test review to get a break up by topic in quant. Understand if you are actually facing problems in Data Sufficiency or conceptual weakness as far as quant is concerned.
    6. Use the Mgmat test review to get a break up by topic in verbal. Standing at a 35 or 74 % definitely indicates you already have a good base in verbal (This is true if you are a native speaker). You can review Mgmat books to brush up on your verbal skills further (In fact most of the folks here review the Mgmat SC book at least twice). Use the break up to see if you are actually facing problems in 700-800 level problems or any sub section such as SC or CR !

Perhaps, if you can post more on your test breakup from Mgmat, people here might help you with more accurate information or give you guidance on how to improve your specific problem areas. All you need to do is identify your problem areas through Mgmat test breakup or even the folks here might help you to identify if you can post a detailed analysis here.

I am retaking GMAT and no expert by any means. But yes I love to analyze things (I am into an analyst kinda role at work).

Hope it helps.
Re: How do I go from here? Stuck at 600/620.   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2012, 02:59