Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 06 Jul 2015, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 18:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hey all,

First off thank you in advance for your help.

I just took my official gmat and scored a 25... a 25!!!
I've taken all my mgmat and averaged 32 in six practice exams.
I got a 46 in Quantative. Overall score of 590. I'm about 60 off from my target score of 650.

Now, I have a month left to improve my score in Verbal. (I think my Quant is good enough for a 650). Any suggestions?
I'm thinking about hiring a private tutor from Manhattan. Is this necessary? Anybody have alternative, cheaper, sources?

Best Regards,
Noobie
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 18:56
the powerscore books for SC and CR are really good. And I think if you get your verbal to at least 40, your quant makes you good enough for almost 700 ish.
Intern
Intern

Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 20:11
I have the Manhattan gmat's SC, RC, and CR strategy guides... I guess I'll just have to master those books...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 20:20
I would practice, practice, practice verbal everyday and review in-depth the ones you got wrong. And for SC, make sure you know ALL of the idioms and are a master of subject/verb agreement.
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 56

Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 21:02
The first thing I would have done is prepare an error log and identify the weak areas. You can still do that by analyzing the tests you have attempted so far (e.g. MGMAT, GMATPrep etc) and plan accordingly.

I guess most of the time, the problem area is either SC, CR or pacing with time. For SC or CR you can pick one of the books written specifically on the subject. Also, on GMAT club, solve as many problems as you can - but do remember to indulge in discussions rather then merely giving the answer, this will certainly help in clarifying your concepts.

If time is the problem, then start reading articles, books etc etc and start practicing in strict timed env.

These are the cheapest resources :) available which I also used.
all the best.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 56

Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 21:05
One more thing, if you feel you are good at quants, then improving your quant score from 46 to 49-50 would be much easier than improving verbal score from 25 to 30+
But if you feel that quant is not your strong point, then just concentrate on verbal.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern

Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 11:40
Thank you for your replies...

I do feel my quant is stronger... however, at this point, I think it'll be easier to improve my verbal (easier questions) than improving my quant with 700-800 questions.

I found a possible solution to my problem on gmatclub. Reading novels recommended by a fellow gmatclubber. Found this source under Verbal questions forum.

This website, btw, is by far the most helpful I've found on the web.

Thanks guys!!!

Noobie
Re: How do I improve my Verbal score in the next month?   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2009, 11:40