Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I increase SC accuracy? Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 2.0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 04:33
Hi All,

I went through the Kaplan material for SC strategies a month back and attempted those strategies on OG 11th edition. My accuracy was in the range of 60% to 65%.

Panic Round 1 set in.

Post that, I read the Manhattan SC Guide, a gem of a book. Attempted the OG 12th edition and OG Verbal Review. My accuracy is now in the range of 80% - 85%.

Panic Round 2 has set in!! My GMAT is scheduled for 11th May.

I have always gone back and checked the explanations for the questions that I made mistakes in and have revised the corresponding topics. What baffles me is that my mistakes are all over the place. My mistakes cannot be clustered to a topic.

I check my accuracies against sets of 20 questions. Is that the right way to do it?

How do I up my game from here on. Do I go through Manhattan again or do I get more practice? 1000SC perhaps? I have exhausted the OG material.

Please advise!!! Anybody!

Thanks,
maxpain - now in extreme pain
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
you have to use error log to see what type of SC your are getting wrong. If they are truly "everywhere" then make sure you understand the rule being tested. Many questions has more than 1 error/rule so check up on that too. Are you consistently getting 80%- 85% now?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
Don't take this the wrong way but...

80%-85% accuracy on SC is pretty damn good.

This means for every 10 questions, you miss, at most, two.

Most people who struggle with SC have a strike rate of 30% or 40%.

You simply need to identify WHY you are getting the remaining 15%-20% incorrect and move on (as noted in the post above)

You could check the strategy thread (link in my sig). If you've read the MGMAT SC book, you likely know this strategy. Take a look and see if it helps.

You're doing great. Calm down.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8858 [1] , given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Max Pain. Welcome to GMAT Club.

You are doing very good, just make sure you time yourself when you practice.
Also, the best way to evaluate yourself is to take a GMAT Prep or a CAT test - much better indicator than batches of questions.

maxpain wrote:
Hi All,

I went through the Kaplan material for SC strategies a month back and attempted those strategies on OG 11th edition. My accuracy was in the range of 60% to 65%.

Panic Round 1 set in.

Post that, I read the Manhattan SC Guide, a gem of a book. Attempted the OG 12th edition and OG Verbal Review. My accuracy is now in the range of 80% - 85%.

I have always gone back and checked the explanations for the questions that I made mistakes in and have revised the corresponding topics. What baffles me is that my mistakes are all over the place. My mistakes cannot be clustered to a topic.

I check my accuracies against sets of 20 questions. Is that the right way to do it?

How do I up my game from here on. Do I go through Manhattan again or do I get more practice? 1000SC perhaps? I have exhausted the OG material.

Thanks,

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:35
shaselai wrote:
you have to use error log to see what type of SC your are getting wrong. If they are truly "everywhere" then make sure you understand the rule being tested. Many questions has more than 1 error/rule so check up on that too. Are you consistently getting 80%- 85% now?

Thanks for your time shaselai, I have been consistently getting 80% - 85%. I have been tracking it for more than 250 questions now, but I measure it against sets of 20. Is that ok?
Intern
Intern

Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:42
mohater wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but...

80%-85% accuracy on SC is pretty damn good.

This means for every 10 questions, you miss, at most, two.

Most people who struggle with SC have a strike rate of 30% or 40%.

You simply need to identify WHY you are getting the remaining 15%-20% incorrect and move on (as noted in the post above)

You could check the strategy thread (link in my sig). If you've read the MGMAT SC book, you likely know this strategy. Take a look and see if it helps.

You're doing great. Calm down.

Thanks mohater!! :)

I have attempted more than 250 questions now. I religiously go back and internalize the topics that I make mistakes in. But, even after, I am unable to breach that 85% accuracy and move up!

Is it concentration? Stamina? (I solve about 3-4 sets of 20 questions in one sitting)
Intern
Intern

Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:44
bb wrote:
Hi Max Pain. Welcome to GMAT Club.

You are doing very good, just make sure you time yourself when you practice.
Also, the best way to evaluate yourself is to take a GMAT Prep or a CAT test - much better indicator than batches of questions.

maxpain wrote:
Hi All,

Panic Round 1 set in.

Thanks,

Thanks bb. Points well taken. I'm due to take a CAT this weekend, will update this post with my scores :)

maxpain
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
maxpain wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Thanks for your time shaselai, I have been consistently getting 80% - 85%. I have been tracking it for more than 250 questions now, but I measure it against sets of 20. Is that ok?

Do you see a trend on your wrong answers when you compare all of them from the sets of 20s? Do they share a common theme - were you "guessing" on them or overly confident? Perhaps use a timer when taking the test. But like BB said you should check it out on a real test since the difficulty varies than the "static" difficulty on question sets. you might also find perhaps more pressing topics to improve upon. If SC is the only part you need to improve upon then you are very well off.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 22:19
shaselai wrote:
maxpain wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Do you see a trend on your wrong answers when you compare all of them from the sets of 20s? Do they share a common theme - were you "guessing" on them or overly confident? Perhaps use a timer when taking the test. But like BB said you should check it out on a real test since the difficulty varies than the "static" difficulty on question sets. you might also find perhaps more pressing topics to improve upon. If SC is the only part you need to improve upon then you are very well off.

That's interesting shaselai! I will analyze the wrong ones the way you have mentioned and post my finding here in a while.

Thanks so much for pitching in guys! Really appreciated! :)

maxpain - now in a little less pain
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 05:24
how is you accuracy so far? did it increase and if it did what did you do to increase? am really desperate to find anything that can help conquer this section

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 15:19
elevinty wrote:
how is you accuracy so far? did it increase and if it did what did you do to increase? am really desperate to find anything that can help conquer this section

he hasn't updated us maybe he failed :|
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8858 [0], given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 15:25
Expert's post
DAYNE wrote:
elevinty wrote:

he hasn't updated us maybe he failed :|

PM's usually work - let's try one.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 06:13
this is for bb, what was your accuracy rate?
I heard Tommy says when it your accuracy reaches 80% and above it's time to move on.

Nanquam Fractum

Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help!   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2010, 06:13