Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: How do I inform adcoms of my class rank without my class rank? [#permalink]
Hey there,

Yes, you're absolutely correct in that they're not substitutes. But they're 2nd best options. To your point, however, yes, hundreds of people could qualify. That's where 3rd tier information comes into play (major, difficulty of institution, etc.). It isn't a science and it leaves a bit in the hand of the reader. The problem with not being given a rank is that you can't just make one up. And if you don't know, you have to be conservative. And if you do that, then adcoms will assume something worse than is actually the case. Let's say you're top 15% but you're not 100% sure, so you say top 20%. Then the adcom is going to assume you were 19% or something because you put the lowest number that applies. In this case, you're better off with your GPA and honors as well as any awards / merit based scholarships. Class rank isn't a requirement after all.

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, I actually figured out last night I ranked 3 of 8 for a summer graduation but I'm not about to include this percent since I believe I would've ranked much higher had I graduated during a spring or fall term. I suppose I'll just just work on drafting a killer optional essay over the next 9 months that attempts to explain the school's grading policies and my hardships.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Ah yes, the curse of summer graduations! One last piece of advice, if you had significant hardship (i.e. something more than "I was immature" or a family situation that legitimately took away from your studies) then yes, explain that in your optional essay. But if it is something less significant, it might not need explaining. Because you don't want to seem like you're making excuses, right? Also, you don't need to explain your school's grading policies unless they are so utterly abstract no one would be expected to understand that. Which, I assume, is not the case here?

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nothing out of the ordinary, just worked ~20 hours a week from 16 through college graduation, commuted an hour each way everyday for four years and graduated from a difficult major and school that actively tries to weed people out well into the third year through course load and grades.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Hey there,

So working through college is something to share - and you should bring it to their attention. But not in an optional essay - perhaps in the resume somehow might look more natural. The commuting, difficult major, school, etc. - that's nothing you should bring up. They'll know about the latter two and the former isn't really relevant.

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hey there,

So working through college is something to share - and you should bring it to their attention. But not in an optional essay - perhaps in the resume somehow might look more natural. The commuting, difficult major, school, etc. - that's nothing you should bring up. They'll know about the latter two and the former isn't really relevant.

Bhavik

Thanks for the insights. Instead of posting a new thread, what are your thoughts on 42 months WE and 30 years old at matriculation? (I took a year off after undergrad to travel and then did a 2 year masters)
Send PM
You're on par for the WE but your age puts you a little high. Traveling for a year isn't the end of the world but a 2 years master will need to be explained. You're going to need to weave together a really strong story around why a 2 year MBA is now necessary on top of that.

Bhavik
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Do b-schools verify the class rank? I am sure I was in the top 10 in my batch but my university doesn't give this in any written form
GMAT Club Bot