Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I raise my quant score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

How do I raise my quant score? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 22:39
Hi, I'm new here. =) I am supposed to take the GMAT in a week and have been studying for months on end, it seems. I already postponed the exam once and am probably going to postpone it again because I am not satisfied with my performance on the Quant section. I was an English major and perform pretty consistently on verbal, but I can never seem to even finish the Quant section. I either end up leaving 10+ questions blank or guessing on all of the last 10+. I've gone through the OG 11th ed. and some of the EZ Solutions material (I'm outraged to read here that they faked reviews on Amazon! No wonder they were not up to par with the reviews!) and am now working through MGMAT's Number Properties and will soon hit the Equations, Inequalities, VICs book. I also have the OG Quant Supplement but am saving it for after I work through more content.

I'm getting discouraged and am not sure how much longer I can study. I think that the MGMAT guides are very helpful, and my score did go up on the test I took today, but I still had to guess on a bunch. I'm not sure if I should just keep plugging away at the MGMAT Guides and purchase one or two more of them or if I should try Total GMAT Math or possibly sign up for Knewton. The upside of Knewton (trying the free trial right now) seems to be that it will help me stay motivated and prevent me from burning out. I like being able to have someone teach me the material. But the downside is the cost, especially since I've already invested in so many books. Also, I've read on your forums that Knewton isn't the best pick once you're scoring 700+. I would like to stick with MGMAT, but I think I need a lot more practice problems to cement the content after I study it.

Can't remember my GMATPrep scores exactly, but I think my last one was a 690.
MGMAT CAT1 610 (Q33, V40) --> Is it just me, or is MGMAT's free diagnostic much harder than GMATPrep tests?
MGMAT CAT2 700 (Q44, V41)

My goal is to get a 750 if possible. Any advice?
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How do I raise my quant score? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
i actually think knewton is the "safest bet" if you got to 700 and your goal is 750 since they have the 50 point guarantee - so if you happen to get 740 you get a full refund and you might call it a day at that score. But if you are really advanced knewton might not help as much since the materials might not be all advanced questions for someone with a 700...

Anyway, it seems your quant is getting better. i would suggest taking more CATs to see if you get those scores consistently or not. To reach a 750 you probably need quant and verbal mid 40s+ or one of them being high 40s and the other one mid 40s - check out some of the stats on people who got 750+s for a general idea. I dont know if it is a good idea financially to keep pushing the test since you dont get much refund.. If you did delay i would take few more CATs, find your consistent scores and then find what type of questions you got wrong and work on those.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: How do I raise my quant score? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 14:36
Haha yeah this test-taking process is costing an arm and a leg. But the more I get into it the more I think I can still get better and figure it's worth the investment to go all the way with it. Especially because I'm improving. But you know what the sad thing is? I think the huge score jump from my 1st and 2nd MGMAT tests was due largely to the fact that I left 10+ questions blank on the first one and just guessed randomly on the last 10+ on the second one. Crazy, huh? Well, that and the fact that the second test seemed generally easier.

Yeah, I thought about doing Knewton because of the guarantee, but I was worried that their diagnostic CAT might be extra hard to skew scores lower. Because when I took MGMAT's free diagnostic I got a 610. Does anyone who has experience with Knewton's diagnostic know if they try to make it harder? Or did anyone have success with using Knewton to break past 700?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How do I raise my quant score? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
imkabob wrote:
Haha yeah this test-taking process is costing an arm and a leg. But the more I get into it the more I think I can still get better and figure it's worth the investment to go all the way with it. Especially because I'm improving. But you know what the sad thing is? I think the huge score jump from my 1st and 2nd MGMAT tests was due largely to the fact that I left 10+ questions blank on the first one and just guessed randomly on the last 10+ on the second one. Crazy, huh? Well, that and the fact that the second test seemed generally easier.

Yeah, I thought about doing Knewton because of the guarantee, but I was worried that their diagnostic CAT might be extra hard to skew scores lower. Because when I took MGMAT's free diagnostic I got a 610. Does anyone who has experience with Knewton's diagnostic know if they try to make it harder? Or did anyone have success with using Knewton to break past 700?

well reason i suggested knewton is because it helped improve my score from 640 to 720. I have to admit my Knewton CAT average is 660ish but i am not sure how to compare it though. I suggest you to take a real gmat then if it is "high enough" that if you get 30-50 points you will be satisfied then go for knewton - in your case i would go knewton if i get 680+ since your goal is ~750.

From your story on quant score guessing... you should get your timing right if you are indeed short on time on ~1/3 of the quant questions. I am sure you might be even worse off if you take the real one (pressure etc.). Try to limit to 2 minutes per question and use 1-2 more minutes IF you are on your way to the answer - if you are still "lost" then just make an educated guess and move on.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: How do I raise my quant score?   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 15:17