Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I reflect community service??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
How do I reflect community service?? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 07:10
Hey guys,

I have a little community service that I am not able to package too well. I have basically used my essays for goals/ extra curriculars/ whatever

Now I have the option of either simply adding the community service in the activities list, or I can use my peer reco to reflect it. And of course - I can do both.

OK oki I'll try again - class of 08'ers I am sure there would be some of you who sis comm service, but not enough for devoting an essay - in such cases what did you do???
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 19:49
Include in resume. Plus put in extracurricular/post collegiate activities in the application forms
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 21:55
Thanks Avi,

So its not a good idea to use the additional essay to showcase whatever lil community service I have done??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 22:13
sangoman, I'm using my Berkeley and UCLA optional essays to talk about my community service, but that's an important part of my application that none of the other essays address. If you have done a lot of community service over the past few years, then I would write an optional essay to add that extra dimension to your application. If the community service isn't significant, I wouldn't write an extra essay to talk about it.

Just my 2 cents.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 01:45
sangoman wrote:
Thanks Avi,

So its not a good idea to use the additional essay to showcase whatever lil community service I have done??

I echo kryzak's sentiments. If you find space anywhere else in your application where u can include community service go for it.
Else as an optional essay, you can write it, but I think that essay will sound too fluffy.

I mean can you write a 500-1000 word essay on your community service. Unless you work in social services or were a NGO, it would be hard to talk about it without putting in filler. you are saying you have lil community service.
You want to use that in ur package to show some diversity. The idea is good but it can backfire if you dont have enough material.

I would recommend not to use the essay unless the community service was very very important and significant.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 15:56
A couple of extra comments:
- Extracurricular does not equal community service, so don't look for community service into your story if it isn't there.

- Only use the extra essay following the instructions. Don't just write stuff you couldn't fit elsewhere into the extra essay just because. Make sure to distinguish between a "is there anything else you'd like us to know?" question and the traditional extra essay where you would explain any felonies, really bad grades or how there's not place for your grad transcript elsewhere in the app.

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 17:36
lepium wrote:
...and the traditional extra essay where you would explain any felonies...

do I have to explain them ALL or just the big ones? this might just put a damper on my app package :(
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 08:31
thanks guys - you are right - I dont have 1000 words worth of comm service - its just that it relates to me in a unique way. Guess I'll leave talking abt it for the interview (big man upstairs willing)
  [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 08:31