Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do schools evaluate the work experience of entrepreneurs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

How do schools evaluate the work experience of entrepreneurs [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 17:15
I'm what would be called a non-traditional student. I finished my undergrad degree (engineering) later in life. Following that, I worked for a little over 4 years. Had my first child, left my job, and after a year of being a stay at home mom, I created a sub-chapter S corporation. I was fairly successful designing databases and websites for 5 years and then closed the business shortly after having baby number 2. (Both of my children have special needs and they needed me full-time)

Although I did not work full-time consistently at my business, how will that work experience be viewed by admissions? Additionally, I have worked since the age of 15. Mostly full-time, but will they even look at that considering it was pre-college?

One of my applications will be for an executive/weekend program. Sure, I am not working full-time nor do I have the full post-undergrad work experience of X yrs at full-time, but I am willing to "donate" my fee just to get my application in front of them.

Bottom line, I don't want to be viewed as a stay at home mom with less than 5 years work experience because I have so much more experience than that.

Thanks for any advice.

Kelly

Give Me Kudos if you like my post!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do schools evaluate the work experience of entrepreneurs [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS
In my opinion, you can show the strength of your entrepreneurial experience by discussing key points in your experience

Managing Clients, Managers and Chief Executive Officers demands.
Team work displayed while working, with client team, on integrating data management solutions into the client servers.
The number of clients that you had to handle every day/week/month
The various modes of communication that you implemented.
Revenue saved and performance improvement in percentages.
Cite any Travel and pressure situations in which you excelled.

In the end, you need to remember that you are selling your experience, so just present it in the best possible way.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: How do schools evaluate the work experience of entrepreneurs [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
work is work.... regardless if its self employed or working for someone.... so just state ur experience...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 40

Re: How do schools evaluate the work experience of entrepreneurs [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 10:49
BlueRobin wrote:
In my opinion, you can show the strength of your entrepreneurial experience by discussing key points in your experience

Managing Clients, Managers and Chief Executive Officers demands.
Team work displayed while working, with client team, on integrating data management solutions into the client servers.
The number of clients that you had to handle every day/week/month
The various modes of communication that you implemented.
Revenue saved and performance improvement in percentages.
Cite any Travel and pressure situations in which you excelled.

In the end, you need to remember that you are selling your experience, so just present it in the best possible way.

Good one.

If u think this post is useful plz feed me with a kudo

Re: How do schools evaluate the work experience of entrepreneurs   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2011, 10:49