Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do schools evaluate work experience?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How do schools evaluate work experience? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 18:29
When evaluating work experience, do schools count the number of years you have worked at the time of application, or the time you will have worked by matriculation?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How do schools evaluate work experience? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 19:32
It depends on your schools. You can find it on each school's application form. Schools will evaluate both quality and length of work. IMO, quality of work is more weighted!

justin520 wrote:
When evaluating work experience, do schools count the number of years you have worked at the time of application, or the time you will have worked by matriculation?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 1479 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How do schools evaluate work experience? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 20:56
justin520 wrote:

Depends on the school. Some schools have minimums, some do not. Some are more openly friendly to younger kids (Harvard) and some seem to be more adverse (Kellogg). I will say that over the last few years things have changed - and almost all schools look less and less at years of experience.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 21:37
I would agree that most schools are trending downward on work experience.

Based on the stats from 2 years ago, US News reports that 99% of students at Wharton have 3+ years of work experience. In the past year, Wharton has stated in a number of forums that they are interested in bringing in more students with less experience, and I that really showed up this year (just going by personal observations).

I would also agree that if you are within the normal range of 2-6 years that quality is more important than number of years. If you've been on the job for longer than that, you'll have to work harder to show great career progress.
  [#permalink] 31 Mar 2007, 21:37