Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do schools view retail work experience?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

How do schools view retail work experience? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 20:58
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad and I'm planning way ahead for my B-school applications.

I interned at the HQ of one of the largest retailers in the US over the summer and I'm planning to go back for a full time position right after graduation. The position is generally where people start to eventually become buyers (lots of data analysis, inventory forecasting, collaborating with the sourcing and presentation departments, ect).

Do you think this will be good work experience for top B-school applications?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [1] , given: 114

Re: How do schools view retail work experience? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
Really depends on the company, your job, and your growth while you're there. If this is a top brand, you have good work experience there, and you show strong job growth, this will be positive work experience for a lot to top bschools. But obviously if it is a company no one has heard of, you are just an office assistant, and you don't have any job growth while your there, then it wouldn't look as good. So you have to make the best of it.

Also, since this would be unconventional work experience, that is also a plus. Top schools don't want all consultants and investment bankers, so you can definitely play up unconventional work experience.

Work experience isn't the easiest place to "improve" for your bschool app. You will get what you can get, and it's tough out there. I would concentrate your time on bettering yourself outside of the workforce including: GMAT score, extra curriculars, and formulating your story.

Best of luck to you!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: How do schools view retail work experience? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:27
Thanks! That's really helpful.

The company has a really good brand and I'll have plenty of responsibility (after 12 weeks of training...)

So I'll just have to make sure I'm able to move up while I'm there.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: How do schools view retail work experience? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 21:32
Yes, you should be great. A friend of mine, his wife went to a top 10 bschool and now works as a buyer for GAP. She worked in retail before that at a smaller place in LA.

When you are at your job, really try to take on some special projects, take on initiatives, and be proactive. If you can work on some projects that really add quantifiable value (save money, make money, etc...) they will be HUGE resume builders. Show that you're a "go-getter". Good luck with your new job, and your future MBA journey.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How do schools view retail work experience?   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2012, 21:32