Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 33

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 19:19
IMO D seems the best. the conclusion is the last line of the para which says airlines should rethink its strategy. the premise for this is the previous line which says training cannot compensate for lack of actual flying time. essentially the author holds flying time to be most important.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 08:01
Between C and D. And I chose C. More straight forward to the conclusion than D. May be I should have chosen the more indirect D. But isn't it irrelevant? I'm confused. But my final choice is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 01:02
Correct answer is D.

If a lack of actual flying time were not an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes then the suggestion to rethink the training program would become untenable.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 07:27
I answered D only but still cannot ignore A.

Because basic rule to find assumption is without that conclusion cannot remain true. Now if Training program cannot eliminate pilot error then any kind of training program is unnecessary and that error includes lack of flying time also.

can some one explain?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:01
MA wrote:
How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane crashes? Studies have shown that pilot error contributes to two-thirds of all such crashes. To address this problem, the airlines have upgraded their training programs by increasing the hours of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit. But it is unrealistic to expect such measures to compensate for pilots’ lack of actual flying time. Therefore, the airlines should rethink their training approach to reducing commercial crashes.
Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?
(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors.
(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers.
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time.
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes.
(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs.

The current training approach = increasing the hours of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit

The airlines should rethink their approach to reducing commercial crashes.

In choice (C), if the pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time, BUT lack of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skils? What happen? The number of crashes still does not decrease. In contrast, that number maybe increase. So, (C) cannot be the assumption of the argument.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 75

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:41
(D) WINS

Negation:-
lack of actual flying time is not an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes.
severely hits the argument.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 683 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 02:10
Both C and D seem to be good answers. However, C is making an extreme statement which on normal circumstances I prefer to avoid. So I would go with D.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 21:47
IMO D. A is too extreme in this case.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 07:10
Expert's post
Initially I chose C. But after seeing the discussion here, I re-read the question and found that the keyword of the question lies in the first part of the stimulus. "How do the airlines EXPECT to prevent.
."
In option c, "will" changes the entire orientation of the option and makes it a definitely sure thing that is incorrect.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 18:02
(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors. - Incorrect because of "lack of actual flying time"
(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers. - Irrelevant
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time. - Contender but it is not the assumption that the argument depends upon.
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes. - Correct as it addresses the flying time and pilot error
(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs. - Irrelevant
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 19:26
+1 D

C is close, but there is no way to assume that the program should FOCUS ON flying time.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 20:25
(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors. - Lack of actual flying time will not compensate for training - Given in the argument - Incorrect
(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers. - Irrelevant and out of scope - Incorrect
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time. - Too strong with the usage of word 'Will' - Incorrect
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes. - Not too obvious and takes into account other factors as well - Correct
(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs. - Many factors are important and communication skills is one of them - Implied from the passage - Incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 22:13
Commercial Airlines plan to address plane crash problem by increasing hours of classroom instructions.
But training will not compansate for LACK OF ACTUAL FLYING TIME
Thus, should rethink training approach...

What about LACK OF ACTUAL FLYING TIME? Can't Training be sufficient...
The author seems to assume that this factor cannot be ignored.

This is opposite of the argument.

(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers.
Okay? Has no bearing on the argument?

(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time.
The argument assumes that flying time is an importan factor but actually decreasing it... we keep this for now...

(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes.
This is just enough. The tone is not as extreme as C but it just admits to importance of actual flying time..

Answer: D

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 20:33
Interesting question. The conclusion is deliberately written in a very vague way, and that is part of the challenge. What does "rethink their training approach" mean? The only interpretation that really makes sense, in light of the preceding statements, is that the author wants the airlines to include more actual flying time in their training. Given that interpretation, the missing assumption is fairly clear: If the airlines do NOT include more flying time in their training, then the incidence of airline crashes will NOT go down.

Once we recognize that this is the key assumption, it becomes even clearer why (D) is right and (C) is wrong. It is not merely that (C) is "too strong". It is more fundamental than that: The missing assumption is that if action A is not done, then result B will not happen. This is NEVER the same as (and NEVER proves that) if action A IS done, then result B will happen. So answer choice (C) is a trap for test takers who do not know that "IF A, then B" is totally different from "If not A, then not B" - or more likely, who do know this but don't notice that it is happening in this answer choice.

If you're not quite sure about the fact that we canNOT start from "if action A does not happen, then result B does not happen" and get to "if action A does happen, then result B does happen", consider these two statements:

If Fred doesn't work out at the gym, he will not become an Olympic weightlifting champion.

If Fred works out at the gym, he will become an Olympic weightlifting champion.

The first statement is probably true. But if it is, it does not prove that the second statement is.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 21:08
MA wrote:
How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane crashes? Studies have shown that pilot error contributes to two-thirds of all such crashes. To address this problem, the airlines have upgraded their training programs by increasing the hours of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit. But it is unrealistic to expect such measures to compensate for pilots’ lack of actual flying time. Therefore, the airlines should rethink their training approach to reducing commercial crashes.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?

(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs.

Well the argument states that :

Training approach (Increase in instruction hrs + CS in cockpit) for decreasing the crashes.However,this program will decrease the fly time of the pilots.

Conclusion: So , airlines will have to rethink the validity of their training program.

GAP:Lack of fly time induces error,although this doesn't mean that the increase in fly time reduces crashes.

Hope that helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 05:22
Hi!!!

Could any one please explain why A is not right as without the assumption mentioned in A none of the answer will hold good.Furthemore,on negation of assumption in A, Argument will rip apart.

Am i missing some thing here?
Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 05:22