Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 0

How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (02:11) correct 18% (01:39) wrong based on 392 sessions
How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane crashes? Studies have shown that pilot error contributes to two-thirds of all such crashes. To address this problem, the airlines have upgraded their training programs by increasing the hours of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit. But it is unrealistic to expect such measures to compensate for pilots’ lack of actual flying time. Therefore, the airlines should rethink their training approach to reducing commercial crashes.

Which one of the following is an assumption upon which the argument depends?

(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors.
(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers.
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time.
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes.
(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 23:22
should be D

A - out of scope - doesnt talk about the lack of flying time or anything related to the arguments.

B - out of scope, what trainings ? is not specified.

c - close, but doesnt look an assumption to me.

d- my choice.

e- absurd !
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 23:26
Lets wait for others postings.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 04:56
(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors. (this might be it) It is not said that lack of training or insufficient training is the cause of pilot errors.
(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers. (out of scope)
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time. (well the passage didn’t say that)
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes. ( could be this as well, but the stem does not really emphasize lack of actual flying time that much)
(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs. (out of scope)

This is down to A and D.
I will pick A
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:Plane Crashes [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:16
MA wrote:
How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane crashes? Studies have shown that pilot error contributes to two-thirds of all such crashes. To address this problem, the airlines have upgraded their training programs by increasing the hours of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit. But it is unrealistic to expect such measures to compensate for pilots’ lack of actual flying time. Therefore, the airlines should rethink their training approach to reducing commercial crashes.

(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers.
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time.
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes.

b/w C and D, I go with D.

C is too absolute.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:19
I believe it is (D). I came close to chosing (C).

The author says that lack flying time cannot be compensated by training on other factors. That means lack of flying time must an important factor.
(C) is a trap because if we negate (C) we get

The number of airline crashes will not decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time.

Well this could be true if the airline companies just focused on more flying time and other factors could lead to crashes. This does not break the author's argument but (D) does.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:30
I will go with 'D'

The 'will decrease' in 'C' is too strong.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:37
Folaa3 wrote:
(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors. (this might be it) It is not said that lack of training or insufficient training is the cause of pilot errors.
(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers. (out of scope)
(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time. (well the passage didn’t say that)
(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes. ( could be this as well, but the stem does not really emphasize lack of actual flying time that much)
(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs. (out of scope)

This is down to A and D.
I will pick A

Hi, the author said training programs such as increasing the hours of classroom instruction or emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit are not the major factors to reduce crashes. We do not know whether pilot errors are caused by the lack of training programs because he said it is unrealistic to expect such measures.

Also, he implied in fact pilots' flying time is the major factors. So, the lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 06:15
It's bet C and D....but "D" is better. Once u negate it argument falls apart.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:Plane Crashes [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 08:58
(C) and (D) are close, but i'll take (D).
(C) is too strongly worded (training programs should focus)
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 09:30
thanx guys, OA is D.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 148 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
1) How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane crashes?

2) Studies have shown that pilot error contributes to two-thirds of all such crashes.

3) To address this problem, the airlines have upgraded their training programs by increasing the hours of classroom instruction and emphasizing communication skills in the cockpit.

4) But it is unrealistic to expect such measures to compensate for pilots’ lack of actual flying time.

5) Therefore, the airlines should rethink their training approach to reducing commercial crashes. <--conclusion

- No. The author here is challenging airliens to rethink their trainig approach by providing more actual flying time. A is out.

- If so, any form of training will do. B is out.

- C is close, but 'will' says that the number of crashes decreasing is definite as long as there is an increase in actual flying time.

- This is the assumption required. If lack of actual flying time contributes to pilot error in plane crahses, then the pilot should be given more actual flying time so he/she becomes more proficient.

- Out of scope.

D is best.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 148 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 19:08
This post received
KUDOS
anandnk wrote:
I believe it is (D). I came close to chosing (C).

The author says that lack flying time cannot be compensated by training on other factors. That means lack of flying time must an important factor.
(C) is a trap because if we negate (C) we get

The number of airline crashes will not decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time.

Well this could be true if the airline companies just focused on more flying time and other factors could lead to crashes. This does not break the author's argument but (D) does.

Just to touch on a little bit more on negation here:

If we negate (D), then it will read as:

Lack of actual flying time is not an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes.

Obviously, by negating D, the conclusion can no longer hold.

However, if you negate (C), then it will read as:

The number of airlines crashes will not decrease if pilot training program focus on increasing actual flying time.

Okay, by negating this, we know that the number of airline crashes will not decrease, but it does not improve either. So negating C does not hold up the conclusion.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2005, 08:49
I pick D

Here the assumption is that flying time will decrease pilot errors...

A) is to broad in its scope
B)out of context
c) is the conclusion not the assumption!
d) correct
e) not true...
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 51

Re: CR:Plane Crashes [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 11:38
this is an interesting question . i picked D in 1:27 min , looking at C , negation test got rid of it .
i simply rejected A but negating A yields funny result.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 109

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 10:45
+1 D

Beautiful question.
C is tempting, however let's read it again:
"The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs FOCUS ON increasing actual flying time".

The argument says that something must be done to solve the lack of actual flyinng time, but it doesn't claim that the training programs should FOCUS ON that aspect.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 03:46
conclusion:
the airlines should have unrealistic training approach to reducing commercial crashes and should include more actual flying time

Conclusion is based on the assumption :
Lack of Actual Flying experience is also one important factor impacting nbr of acceidents and " Actual Flying experience" should also have more concentration during train

D states exactly the same

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 11:44
Really good question...took me 1 min 30 secs to get this.

Used the negate rule to choose between C and D... Pretty Close :shock:

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 22

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
(A) Training programs can eliminate pilot errors. - It is already stated in the argument. Cannot be an assumption. Argument talks about increasing the training programs. - Incorrect

(B) Commercial pilots routinely undergo additional training throughout their careers. - This is also a given piece of information which can be inferred from the given passage. - Incorrect

(C) The number of airline crashes will decrease if pilot training programs focus on increasing actual flying time. - The use of words like "will" makes it an obvious thing. Focusing on actual flying time may not decrease crashes. - Incorrect

(D) Lack of actual flying time is an important contributor to pilot error in commercial plane crashes. - "Important contributor" states that the lact of actual flying time is one of the contributors for pilor errors. This fills the gap in the argument. Hence this is the assumption - Correct

(E) Communication skills are not important to pilot training programs. - It can be considered to be out of scope - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 4

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 10:50
But it is unrealistic to expect such measures to compensate for pilot's lack of actual flying time.

This line made me think about D as it says that flying time is important factor for a pilot which is assumed that it should not be neglected.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Re: How do the airlines expect to prevent commercial plane   [#permalink] 23 May 2012, 10:50