Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V45?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 37

How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V45? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 18:03
It's probably clear to most users of this forum that the core user is a highly skilled in Quant, non-native English speaker. As a result, there is a healthy contingent of users on here who are hitting high 40's and maybe 50-51 on Quant while failing to achieve 40 on Verbal (at first). Let's talk about the other side.

For instance, I was hitting mid 40's in my Verbal split in my early practice tests (while hitting high 30's in Quant). After reading the MGMAT books, my Q level increased to low-to-mid 40's while V didn't budge. In theory, the GMAT Club Tests will increase Q level to high 40's. However, there is a lack of information on how to increase Verbal from mid 40's to the 50-51 range. Continuing with my example, I'm not particularly weak in any one area (or even difficulty level), but I'll randomly miss enough questions of varied difficulty to keep a ceiling on the score.

How does one increase V to 50-51 from an already relatively high score (e.g., a 99th percentile 45)?

Last edited by vandygrad11 on 02 Apr 2013, 14:28, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V43-45? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 18:16
I personally think high level verbal is more about your natural aptitude and ability to notice subtle differences than having conceptual knowledge of topics (which I guess someone scoring V40+ already has).
Moreover, verbal section penalizes heavily for mistakes, V51 means a perfect strike rate while the same is not true for quant. According to some gmatprep algo analysis difference between V45 and V51 is as little as 2 mistakes.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V43-45? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 20:27
I do not know if this is relevant.. But I don't think going from a V45 to a V51 will have a great impact on your total score if the Quants is constant... I should think at most, it would be a 20 point difference while increasing your quants from 49 to 50 alone could bring about a 20 point difference..

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 37

Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V43-45? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 21:18
MacFauz wrote:
I do not know if this is relevant.. But I don't think going from a V45 to a V51 will have a great impact on your total score if the Quants is constant... I should think at most, it would be a 20 point difference while increasing your quants from 49 to 50 alone could bring about a 20 point difference..

Hope you don't mind me correcting you on this. The published GMAT Score Matrix indicates that an increase from Q45/V45 to Q45/V50 increases your composite score from 730 to 770 (and to 780 if you go to V51). Likewise, an increase from Q49/V45 to Q49/V50 increases your composite score from 760 to 800. There is no instance in which increasing your Q score from 49 to 50 increases your composite score by 20 or more points. In fact, there are many scenarios of V scores where that increase would have no effect (and a max effect of 10 points).

So, clearly, there is great benefit to increasing from V45 to V50/51. Will someone who has done it help us to learn how?
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V43-45? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 02:26
foars wrote:
I personally think high level verbal is more about your natural aptitude and ability to notice subtle differences than having conceptual knowledge of topics (which I guess someone scoring V40+ already has).
Moreover, verbal section penalizes heavily for mistakes, V51 means a perfect strike rate while the same is not true for quant. According to some gmatprep algo analysis difference between V45 and V51 is as little as 2 mistakes.

I haven't achieved V-5X ever on my practice tests and more or less, believe in the quoted post. Like the OP, I'd love to hear from someone who has achieved the feat, on whether:
1.) He/She felt they lacked conceptual knowledge and did something to overcome that
2.) It was more of a tweak in the test taking strategy
3.) Or whether it was 'intangible' factors such as - confidence, doing well on the quant section of the test etc. that helped them.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V45? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 20:10
My advice would be:
-Read every SC in full while substituting each answer choice. This means that you read it in full 5 times. No shortcuts! Sometimes a word quite far from the underlined portion will reveal a mismatched pronoun or some other detail.
-Consider the purpose of every paragraph in RC. Each paragraph serves a purpose, and your job is to figure out what it is.
-Consider the word choice in RC. Is the diction neutral? Or do the terms have some bias, whether positive or negative? What do you think that suggests about the author's perspective? What can you infer about the author's intent/purpose for the piece?
-CR is simply a logic test. I can't succinctly offer advice; you simply need to be able to recognize when an argument takes a wild leap or relies on an unstated assumption. I've heard LSAT questions are useful practice for CR.

My GMAT debrief

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 4

Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V45? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 10:11
Hi, I'm not sure you'll find too many V50 or even 51 out there.

For my pov on how i hit 48, as a native speaker ( a help I think to get you started) it was simplifying.

If you learn every single grammar rule in the world you brain will just become overloaded. I did all my prep in very limited areas, that I knew would add value to my 'native' brain.

I.e what are the rules in sc that are not picked up in every day English.

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: How Do You Increase Verbal to V51 from V45?   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2013, 10:11