Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do you calculate the GPA in India ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

How do you calculate the GPA in India ? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2004, 23:54
I am a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering graduate from Mumbai (erstwhile Bombay) University, India. We are not awarded GPA's from the University but rather are given a percentage score. The thing is that the average percentage in different university boards of India varies wildly. For example, in Gujarat state, an engineering student (Bachelor's Degree) can expect to graduate with an 80% quite easily while in Maharashtra, a 65% is considered an achievement.

My question is - in the midst of the non-standard grading, how do I know my GPA or calculate an equivalent so I can gauge the competency of my application with the existing student profile of a prospective college? Do the colleges have an existing database of students from that country against which they calculate my GPA equivalent ?

Also when an MBA programme mentions "credits" what is the exact meaning of it. I've heard it very often but unfamiliar with the term. (e.g students are required to complete at least nine credits) Very often the tuition fee is given per credit or term.

Thanks,
Conal
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2004, 11:41
Hi,

There is no reliable universal conversion to US-style nominal GPA. The most reliable guide is generally your class standing. If you were ranked near the top of your graduating class then this is usually taken as a good indication of your ability (there is an astounding number of technical problems with this type of analysis but it appears to be used frequently).

The terms "units" and "credits" are used to describe the value of a class toward graduation and (often) GPA calculation. A typical scheme is for a typical college class to be worth four units with 120 units required for graduation. The credit value is usually associated with the number of hours of class per week (e.g. 4 credits would correspond to about 4 hours of class per week). Sometimes classes might be worth fewer units because they meet only 2 hours a week.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2004, 11:22
Hi Hjort,

Thanks for the tip. I too have heard of this method of computing the GPA by taking into account the the scores of the top four people in the class, but am at a loss to know how this computed for my specific class. Would I be compared with my college class, the Elec Engg Dept for the Bombay University or the entire Bombay University as a whole. Would I be expected to compute this or provide this information to the university ?

Just for my information, suppose the person who scored the highest score in my class scored a 80% and I got a 70%. What would my GPA be ? Is there a formula of sorts ?

Knowing how you like to put a formula down on things ( like your calculate-your-GMAT formula :)) was wondering if you know.....

Warm regards,
Conal

P.S Your formula got my GMAt score down to within a few percentage points !
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2004, 12:37
conalcharles wrote:
Hi Hjort,

Thanks for the tip. I too have heard of this method of computing the GPA by taking into account the the scores of the top four people in the class, but am at a loss to know how this computed for my specific class. Would I be compared with my college class, the Elec Engg Dept for the Bombay University or the entire Bombay University as a whole. Would I be expected to compute this or provide this information to the university ?

Just for my information, suppose the person who scored the highest score in my class scored a 80% and I got a 70%. What would my GPA be ? Is there a formula of sorts ?

Knowing how you like to put a formula down on things ( like your calculate-your-GMAT formula :)) was wondering if you know.....

Warm regards,
Conal

P.S Your formula got my GMAt score down to within a few percentage points !

I'd just like to add that there are actually professional "credential evaluation" services that help people deal with this issue in the context of international admissions--I honestly don't know enough about what's out there to recommend any one in particular, but they do exist! That's a very different area of expertise than my own, though, so I hesitate to get too far into it.

I do agree that your class ranking is probably the most important thing here, since it shows how you perform relative to your peer group.

Best of luck getting it all sorted out!
Sonia

--
Sonia Michaels
smichaels@accepted.com
Accepted.com ~ helping you write your best!
http://www.accepted.com

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2004, 16:49
Hi conalcharles,

I'm glad to hear the formula worked! Just out of curiousity, did the formula overpredict or underpredict?

Regarding the GPA conversion, in my experience, schools generally will "convert" on their own. Some, however, ask students to make use of a transcript service as mentioned by Sonia. For your class ranking, I would start by looking at your transcript to see if you are compared with any students on the transcript.

Hjort
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 0

Re: How do you calculate the GPA in India ? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
this is a good question
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: How do you calculate the GPA in India ? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 04:27
i guess there is a calculator on wes site
Manager
Manager

Re: How do you calculate the GPA in India ? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 04:27
but they mention that percentage should not be converted
Manager
Manager

i hope this helps!