Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 13:35
Hi All,

I started preparing for GMAT about 2 months back and am still unable to decide on when I will be ready to take the real GMAT exam.
My initial diagnostic scores were Above average in Math and average in Verbal. I scored a 490 when I first took my GMAT Prep and am aiming for around 650.
My verbal is poor compared to Math. So concentrated more on CR and SC during my preparation.
Had a strict study plan for the last two months where in I concentrated on :

OG 12 -

PS - Fully completed
DS - Last 40 questions left
RC - Havent done much tried some 20 randomly
SC - Did it parallel to MGMAT SC Guide.
CR - Around 40 questions left

OG 11 -

CR - 40 Questions left
SC - 50 Questions left
PS , DS -not started

CR Bible by powerprep
Manhattan SC Guide
Manhattan Word Translations
Veritas Prep Sentence correction 2

GMATPrep Test 1 - 580

Took a series of McGrawHills GMAT TEST and was able to score in the higher range : 680-700.But considering it too simple not planning to get over excited.

From then my scores were in and around 580 but find it hard to cross that.
Tried test 1 from 800Score and scored M41 ,V21.
I need to work on Verbal section more.

In the coming days am planning to concentrate on:
-SC is one area where people are able to make huge improvements.
-CR comes next.
-Planning to take up more practice questions on these two areas in the coming days.
-Need to complete the rest of my OG 12 and OG 11
-Planning to take the remaining 4, 800-Score tests.

Can you help me rate my progress rate? I need to know how do you know when you are ready?
I assume that when you get your expected score consistently in your practise exams you may get some idea.But is that the only criteria people follow or do they book a date and work hard to complete their preparation in that time period?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

Re: How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 16:59
Take the Manhattan GMAT CATs and see if you get a consistent score / or ideally a slightly uptrending score. If your scores are all over the place it suggests you still need to get a better grasp on fundamental principles. Work on the areas the MGMAT tests suggest as weak areas and once you polish those take the second GMATprep.

Now in the meantime, go to mba.com and just pretend you wanted to make an appointment just to see when the next opening would be. I am in the Midwest and here the 3 closest test centers around me were all booked out about 2 months in advance when I scheduled my exam last December. So this is something to take into consideration! Might just want to sign up for the next available date if it is that far ahead. For me that extra pressure of knowing when I need to be at my A game was extra motivation as well.

Best of Luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 36

Re: How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 13:03
good advice. i never thought that the test center might be booked. what time of the year did you take you test / do you know when it's the busiest?
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

Re: How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 13:51
I took my exam in February of this year.
Generally, I would think right about now should be a slow time. Most people that are shooting to apply for the Fall 2010 admissions cycle (program start in Fall 2011) probably have not yet taken the GMAT, but as R1 gets close, let's say June, July, August I'd think it can get filled up pretty easily. Then it probably continues at least through R2.
Those would be my guesses, I dunno if anyone would be able to actually provide you 'real' data.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern | Tepper | IESE | CEIBS | Anywhere that takes me!
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 02:50
Do the members here prefer to start the application process (essays mainly) before finalizing their GMAT score?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 36

Re: How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 08:29
i would rather not do that. i want to get the gmat done and out of the way before starting on the app.
Re: How do you decide on when to take the GMAT exam?   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2010, 08:29