Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do you get from 560 to 740?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan, LBS, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 03:57
Hello everyone,

This site has helped me a lot to find the right material to study as well as reading about other people's experience - it's been really encouraging to see what score people started on and what they went on to achieve. Well done! after all in my opinion GMAT is all about confidence...

I am writing this post to request some guidance; to realise what I am doing wrong or what I am not doing right, as my actual exam is apporaching (14/04) and I really want to achieve at least in the low 700s.

Let me tell you my story (sorry if it takes too long).
I took the Kaplan course and my first diagnostic was 560. I thought it was quite good for a first test comparing it with other people in class. I was then slowly moving up to the 650s (taking only Kaplan CAT tests) when the Ultimate Practice Test brought me CRASHING DOWN to 560! It was much harder, so I realised I had to reschedule to 14/04 - and look at other test material.

Therefore I got into Manhattan GMAT and the GMAT Prep (I was saving the 2 GMATPrep tests for the last week of my actual exam at the time.

Last weekend I took 3 tests (without the essays) and here are my latest results: 580 (Q.42 V.29) in Manhattan 2, 610 (Q.37 V.37) Kaplan CAT6 and 620 (Q.46 V29) GmatPrep 2 - in that chron. order as well.

It is quite frustruting because I seem to fluctuate but I believe I can do it. if I somehow combine my best scores I should be there - Q46-47 and V 37 (by the way what does that translate to?)

I was confident in Quant and not so in Verbal (not native english speaker) but now these fluctuations have made me even doubt my quant. abilities.

I would really appreciate your input guys...

Congrats again for a great site! Thanks

P.S. I am working full time so I take these test during weekends while I try quizzes at night when I get home during the week.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 08:14
Hi Buddy I think we are on the same track hehe, the test from Manhattan GMAT are good but unfortunatedly not enough and that score does NOT reflect your actual score at all, I was scoring 660 on those tests but once when I got my official score I got an awful 580.

GMAT Prep software is better however is not reflecting the real exam either, the official one is way harder.

By the way where do you come from? What is your mother language?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 08:44
Hi gmatTaker740,
I just took my GMAT yesterday and scored a 700. 10days ago I took a diagnostic test in KNEWTON and got a 620. And my practice tests in GMATprep were around 720. I would suggest you not to get worried about the scores in all these different tests. None of them except for GMATprep resemble real GMAT. Your focus should be to get exposed to different kind of questions and figure out how to approach them. Remember "FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONFIDENCE". It's the most important factor on the test day. I would suggest you to take GMATprep atleast 4 -5 times leading up to your test date. I have done each test in GMATprep and have not encountered a repeat 90% of the time. Althought it will not be a true barometer to your performance it will present you with more and more difficult problems. One of the resources I found very helpful is 800score's comprehensive package which includes 5CATs . It costs $39.95 and should be a good investment as they present good explanations for the solution. I was scoring 70% on these tests in the beginning...my retakes were around 97%..

Two most important things in GMAT

1. DS in Number properties... inequalities...absolute values..etc
2. Learn the grammar behind SC. Just having a feel for English language will not be sufficient as you shoot for higher scores.

GMAT is more psychological than you think... if you think you can slay the Dragon...you will.

Good Luck.

mmmmba
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 22:06
gmatTaker740 wrote:
Therefore I got into Manhattan GMAT and the GMAT Prep (I was saving the 2 GMATPrep tests for the last week of my actual exam at the time.

Last weekend I took 3 tests (without the essays) and here are my latest results: 580 (Q.42 V.29) in Manhattan 2, 610 (Q.37 V.37) Kaplan CAT6 and 620 (Q.46 V29) GmatPrep 2 - in that chron. order as well.

I think saving the Gmatpreps was a mistake. You said the gmatprep 2 was 620, what was your first score?

If you really, really want a a 740, you need to be hitting 700 on the preps at least occasionally...
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan, LBS, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2009, 08:24
Thank you all for your advice...GMATPrep is indeed a must! Well done mmmmba! Congrats!

I am planning to repeat GPrep a few times before the exam and in between work on questions from the OG 11 and MGMAT tests...I believe these are adequate, yes?

My first GMATPrep was 530...I found out that if I have trouble with the first few Quant questions and they take me longer to solve then this affects me psychologically and affects my overall performance!
If I start ok I seem to tackle difficult questions better when they are later on in the exam than in the beginning...I have this belief that the first 10 have to be correct...so if I dont 'see' the solution immediately in the first few 2-3 questions I panic; I feel that they would take me a long time to solve...and surprise surprise...they do!

Now that I think about it, this could be my biggest hurdle...any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 12:40
gmatTaker740 wrote:
Thank you all for your advice...GMATPrep is indeed a must! Well done mmmmba! Congrats!

I am planning to repeat GPrep a few times before the exam and in between work on questions from the OG 11 and MGMAT tests...I believe these are adequate, yes?

My first GMATPrep was 530...I found out that if I have trouble with the first few Quant questions and they take me longer to solve then this affects me psychologically and affects my overall performance!
If I start ok I seem to tackle difficult questions better when they are later on in the exam than in the beginning...I have this belief that the first 10 have to be correct...so if I dont 'see' the solution immediately in the first few 2-3 questions I panic; I feel that they would take me a long time to solve...and surprise surprise...they do!

Now that I think about it, this could be my biggest hurdle...any thoughts?

I am starting to think that Math/Verbal are not what is being tested, timing and panic management are.....I would work on solving problems within 2 minutes....narrow down choices....pick one you feel most confident with...move on, and FORGET last question...war not the battle is objective...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How do you get from 560 to 740? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2009, 23:54
The first time i gave my gmat, i was completely unaware how the actual gmat actual GMat looks like and scred bad(620),
Well i do practice a lot but yaar wo online practice is different, and on comp things are diff and when you have a limited time then pata chalta hai. But now i am trying downloade mock preperation material from gmatcoaching. I hope to do well in my next attempt which is next month as now i am more confident with the tests.
Re: How do you get from 560 to 740?   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2009, 23:54