Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:02

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Do You Sell Round 3?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
How Do You Sell Round 3? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 05:26
I'm not applying Round 3 anywhere, but for those of you that have applied Round 3, how exactly do you say with a straight face, "I'm really excited about going to school here, I love the students, and I love the teaching model. This is the school for me."

Isn't it obvious to schools that Round 3's are hail mary passes?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Do You Sell Round 3? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 05:38
johnnyx9 wrote:
I'm not applying Round 3 anywhere, but for those of you that have applied Round 3, how exactly do you say with a straight face, "I'm really excited about going to school here, I love the students, and I love the teaching model. This is the school for me."

Isn't it obvious to schools that Round 3's are hail mary passes?


Well. Theoretically speaking a strong candidate might hold a better chance during R3 than R1&2 because he will be competing not with his equals but with with rejects from other schools, who did their apps in a hurry 8-) Provided however that the seats available are split equally between applicants of all the three rounds.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 05:43
I don't think the seats are equally split. Some schools really do use R3 on an as-needed basis. I believe Cornell and Stanford both specifically say that applicants to their final rounds will receive admits on a space-available basis.

Some R3 applicants are hail-marys, some are panic-apps, and some are probably just procrastinators.

I never said in any of my apps that "this is the school for me." I always just talked about how this or that aspect was a good fit for me and why. That can still be true whenever you apply.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Do You Sell Round 3? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 05:44
helg wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:
I'm not applying Round 3 anywhere, but for those of you that have applied Round 3, how exactly do you say with a straight face, "I'm really excited about going to school here, I love the students, and I love the teaching model. This is the school for me."

Isn't it obvious to schools that Round 3's are hail mary passes?


Well. Theoretically speaking a strong candidate might hold a better chance during R3 than R1&2 because he will be competing not with his equals but with with rejects from other schools, who did their apps in a hurry 8-) Provided however that the seats available are split equally between applicants of all the three rounds.


Actually in R3 he'd be competing with rushed apps. AND with waitlisted people (who are arguably quite strong). And all of them will complete for about 10% of the total seats (with the 90% going to R1ers and R2ers).

Cheers. L.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Do You Sell Round 3? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 05:47
lepium wrote:

Actually in R3 he'd be competing with rushed apps. AND with waitlisted people (who are arguably quite strong). And all of them will complete for about 10% of the total seats (with the 90% going to R1ers and R2ers).

Cheers. L.


*in a high-pitched voice*

OMG!!! I'm doomed, DOOMED!

*dances the dance of desperation of an applicant waitlisted till R3*
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How Do You Sell Round 3? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 07:05
johnnyx9 wrote:

Round 3's are hail mary passes?


That strategy got John Elway into five Superbowls, didn't it?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 08:15
That's true, but he only won the last two.

I guess what I meant was, there are some schools that are big on "community" (actually, I'm sure most schools say this) and they want to know that you really want to be a part of their school. It just seems ironic that in an interview for this desperation Round someone would be in an interview and the interviewer would say, "Why do you want to go to our school?" And obviously both the interviewer and the interviewee know the answer is, "Because I didn't get in to my top choices, so you're my emergency back up plan."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 14:10
johnnyx9 wrote:
That's true, but he only won the last two.

I guess what I meant was, there are some schools that are big on "community" (actually, I'm sure most schools say this) and they want to know that you really want to be a part of their school. It just seems ironic that in an interview for this desperation Round someone would be in an interview and the interviewer would say, "Why do you want to go to our school?" And obviously both the interviewer and the interviewee know the answer is, "Because I didn't get in to my top choices, so you're my emergency back up plan."


Well, its no more silly than "Why do you want an MBA?" Which if people were honest, 90% of time, boils down to one of two answers:

Either
A) I want more money and power
or
B) I hate what I'm doing and want to do something else.

Which I spose would translate into:

'My job sucks. I'm really tired of doing what I'm doing and I should have picked better out of undergraduate. I've kind of hit a plateau at work and I don't see a lot of opportunities for advancement. My salary isn't what I think it should be and I want to make more money. Your MBA will help me do all that. Thats why I pay you so much money for it."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2006
Posts: 374
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 14:21
I've only applied in R3 to a few elites, basically i underestimated the input required (in the UK people don't plan their lives around a MBA) in the admit process. I have a pretty respectable profile - 750 gmat, 3.8 ish gpa, managerial exp at a top IB. Its not all hail marys in R3 :-D
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 14:52
There's a common sentiment that candidates with quirky profiles tend to do better in the final round. I believe this is based on the belief that schools will admit their core students in the early rounds, so people with strong but fairly typical profiles do well early on. I also think that the typical strong candidate (those that have been planning for an MBA for some time) tend to apply earlier because they are aware of the process.

In the final round, schools are looking to fill out the class with some diversity so people with unusual backgrounds will stand out. People with typical profiles might find that seats for people like them have already been filled.

I've seen versions of this theory in several b-school consultant blogs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 440
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 16:48
Done! Submitted Tuck 5 min. ago. The reason I went for the last round is because I just wasn't ready to submit by R3 and I felt like I learned so much from the process of applying to earlier rounds, that I can really show this in my essays. Tuck is definitely not my backup school, I just started the whole application process way late.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1023
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 17:34
or

C) I want a two year vacation, want to meet interesting people and at the same time put a degree on my resume that can only help further my career.

rhyme wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:
That's true, but he only won the last two.

I guess what I meant was, there are some schools that are big on "community" (actually, I'm sure most schools say this) and they want to know that you really want to be a part of their school. It just seems ironic that in an interview for this desperation Round someone would be in an interview and the interviewer would say, "Why do you want to go to our school?" And obviously both the interviewer and the interviewee know the answer is, "Because I didn't get in to my top choices, so you're my emergency back up plan."


Well, its no more silly than "Why do you want an MBA?" Which if people were honest, 90% of time, boils down to one of two answers:

Either
A) I want more money and power
or
B) I hate what I'm doing and want to do something else.

Which I spose would translate into:

'My job sucks. I'm really tired of doing what I'm doing and I should have picked better out of undergraduate. I've kind of hit a plateau at work and I don't see a lot of opportunities for advancement. My salary isn't what I think it should be and I want to make more money. Your MBA will help me do all that. Thats why I pay you so much money for it."
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 05:14
Apparentely my final round at Darden went really well, just got an admit!
So, there are still some spots around! keep on tying guys, there is hope!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 05:28
Congrats Antapple!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 07:20
Thanks alot!
  [#permalink] 05 Apr 2007, 07:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic How do you solve this Luning1 2 07 Feb 2014, 15:19
How to sell your "Why do you want to do an MBA"? autoexpect 10 14 Aug 2010, 06:08
How do you study gi 1 22 Dec 2009, 21:49
How do you do withdraw togafoot 5 10 Jan 2008, 03:41
How do you know if you are doing well? saturnring11 1 07 Mar 2006, 16:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How Do You Sell Round 3?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.