Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [6]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: How do you stay motivated? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi :)

I haven't found much mental support for the GMAT online, and sometimes, I wish I had more readings and stories to relate to.
I started preparing for the GMAT three months ago. I've been studying full time and already put in 450 hours. To be honest, I am not 100% sure that I want to do an MBA, but it's been on my mind for some years now, so I thought if I could get a good GMAT score, the door to a top MBA school would be a little more accessible if ever I decided to go down that path.

My experience studying the GMAT has been tough. I am very driven and self-motivated, studying everyday, having a tight schedule drawn out on an excel spreadsheet including study time, sport session and sleep hours (I know it's intense ;) ). I've really been putting in my best. I started at 590, and I'm still stuck around 650 (best score is 670 so far) aiming for 700. I expected it to be hard, but I am surprised at how hard it is to hit the top 600, 700 scores. I have a masters in Neuroscience, I worked in big firms, I -modestly- don't think I'm not smart. But I haven't done any pure math or logic in over ten years, and I struggle with the quant section. Learning a new way to think, developing new brain patterns, adopting logic and quants habits are things that take time and a lot of hard work. After 450 hours, I see a huge improvement but I also hit a tough reality : for me, it's not enough.

You read a lot of success stories; friends, family members, colleagues have told me "of course you can do it, you're smart". And it's disheartening to face the fact that I don't have their easy ability to score well on the GMAT. Of course I know that I have the capacity. We all do, but for some people this means 2 weeks of studying, for me, probably 6 months, for others maybe 2 years.

I get so frustrated. I have highs, where I see myself improving and reaching my goal, and then I'll be disappointed by a score and feel down and lonely in this battle.

Anyways, my test is in one week, and even though I won't score 700, I'm glad I tried so hard. No regrets. Of course, I know that I have learned so much from this experience and I like to think that my brain is a lot stronger than it was four months ago, which will benefit me for the rest of my life. I guess, that, in itself is a huge reward.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
Bookmarks
It can certainly be difficult to maintain a positive attitude throughout your entire study plan. As with all things, some days will be good, and others bad. That's life.

You might feel particularly overwhelmed once you think of the big picture. Nobody can handle thinking about the GMAT, MBA, and life and family afterward. It's simply too much. Just focus on what you have to do today and things will fall into place. Just take things one step at a time. It's much easier to accomplish smaller goals. Eventually, things will add up.

YourDreamTheater has a good point; read some of the GMAT Experience topics. That helped me, especially when I needed a break.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
I am terrible at standardized tests. I had a hard time with the SAT, so GMAT is another dead end to me. However, I totally forgot about how terrible my SAT studying was, and the only thing that stays with me is the SAT score, which determines what schools accepting me and then what jobs opening up to me. Perhaps, one day I will forget about my current struggles with GMAT, and what matters for the long run is how high on GMAT I can score now. I always try to hinge on this thinking path when motivation dries up. Good luck with the studying!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
i have the same problem--staying motivated!! now i am trying to believe that good education= good job (since i don't realy like what i am doing now)...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
I'm not sure if it's gonna help but I try to make the GMAT thing personal for me. Like for now, screw all the grad apps and the essays and ultimately whether I get in or not, right now, at this moment in time, it's the GMAT vs Me. And I try to think about the rewards that will come with having a good GMAT score, not to mention the bragging rights as I have some pretty friendly/intense competition around me with fellows students whom are also taking their GMAT's as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
You might find this useful:

gmat-prep-burnout-77149.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Stop Comparing Yourself to Others With These statements
1. Trust in yourself.
2. Try not to say you don't have enough timer.
3. There are individuals who work throughout the day.
4. Confidence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I always try to relax if I feel that I can not learn anything. If you are very nervous, then the result can be sad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I come to the "GMAT Experience" board here on GMATClub and read a few of the 700+ write-ups.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
romie75 wrote:

I haven't found much mental support for the GMAT online, and sometimes, I wish I had more readings and stories to relate to.
I started preparing for the GMAT three months ago. I've been studying full time and already put in 450 hours. To be honest, I am not 100% sure that I want to do an MBA, but it's been on my mind for some years now, so I thought if I could get a good GMAT score, the door to a top MBA school would be a little more accessible if ever I decided to go down that path.

My experience studying the GMAT has been tough. I am very driven and self-motivated, studying everyday, having a tight schedule drawn out on an excel spreadsheet including study time, sport session and sleep hours (I know it's intense ;) ). I've really been putting in my best. I started at 590, and I'm still stuck around 650 (best score is 670 so far) aiming for 700. I expected it to be hard, but I am surprised at how hard it is to hit the top 600, 700 scores. I have a masters in Neuroscience, I worked in big firms, I -modestly- don't think I'm not smart. But I haven't done any pure math or logic in over ten years, and I struggle with the quant section. Learning a new way to think, developing new brain patterns, adopting logic and quants habits are things that take time and a lot of hard work. After 450 hours, I see a huge improvement but I also hit a tough reality : for me, it's not enough.

You read a lot of success stories; friends, family members, colleagues have told me "of course you can do it, you're smart". And it's disheartening to face the fact that I don't have their easy ability to score well on the GMAT. Of course I know that I have the capacity. We all do, but for some people this means 2 weeks of studying, for me, probably 6 months, for others maybe 2 years.

I get so frustrated. I have highs, where I see myself improving and reaching my goal, and then I'll be disappointed by a score and feel down and lonely in this battle.

Anyways, my test is in one week, and even though I won't score 700, I'm glad I tried so hard. No regrets. Of course, I know that I have learned so much from this experience and I like to think that my brain is a lot stronger than it was four months ago, which will benefit me for the rest of my life. I guess, that, in itself is a huge reward.

Hi romie75,

You clearly have been working hard, so as long as you know you've put in your all, you have nothing to be ashamed about! At this point, just focus on doing the absolute best you can on your GMAT. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck!!
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
romie75 wrote:

All the best romie75. Just focus on the process now. Do not worry about the results. Do reach out if you need any help with the prep.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
maiphgx wrote:
I am terrible at standardized tests. I had a hard time with the SAT, so GMAT is another dead end to me. However, I totally forgot about how terrible my SAT studying was, and the only thing that stays with me is the SAT score, which determines what schools accepting me and then what jobs opening up to me. Perhaps, one day I will forget about my current struggles with GMAT, and what matters for the long run is how high on GMAT I can score now. I always try to hinge on this thinking path when motivation dries up. Good luck with the studying!

Don't psych yourself out because you had issues on the SAT. Your brain has developed since then. You will have to work hard, but you can do it. Just make a plan and commit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
maiphgx, Thank you for your note! I ended up getting 690 on the GMAT which I'm satisfied with. I was aiming for 700, but given how hard I work and how tough it was to get my grade up from 580, I decided I was happy with 690. I also thought standardized test wasn't my thing, (it's really not something you learn in the french education system). But I kept telling myself, anyone can achieve anything if they put in the time, effort, and determination, and I was no exception. I gave myself a three months deadline and didn't give up until the very end... and it paid off!
I also know many brilliant people who don't enjoy studying, maths or tests and they never bothered with the GMAT. Doesn't make them less brilliant. That's what I told myself in tough times. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Set goals.
Choose goals that interest you.
Find things that interest you within goals that don't.
GMAT Club Bot