Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 17:40
omg, i was at barnes and noble to get a gmat study book. i was checking it out before i was going to buy one. now i have a bs in education and graduated with a gpa of 3.1, but again i graduated in 2000.

i was thoroughly stunned at some of the questions, or at least the math part of it.

my questions are,

for those who have been out of school for a few years and had to do the testing, how did you cope with not knowing much of the material???

are there books out there to help you prepare for the gmat book???

i am not a total moron and have some intelligence. i now realize that it is going to take me longer to prepare.
i had college algebra about 10 years ago and struggled through it, but passed.

i feel helpless.........
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 11:00
You just have to plough through it and re-learn the basics. I only had 2-3 weeks to study for it on top of a project that was publically launched gloablly on the same day as my GMAT exam, so i couldn`t focus too much on it. I also haven`t studied maths since 1992!!!

Learn the principles behind the maths, and then practise practise practise.
If it feels daunting, break it down into component parts, e.g. focus on geometry, then algebra, then probabilities, etc.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7596 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 21:35
Expert's post
Moved to "Share Your GMAT Expereience" Should get more traction here.

Dallison - welcome to GMATCLUB!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 12:41
dallison wrote:
omg, i was at barnes and noble to get a gmat study book. i was checking it out before i was going to buy one. now i have a bs in education and graduated with a gpa of 3.1, but again i graduated in 2000.

I gratuated college in 2000 and I know what you feel. I have always considered math my strenghten. That until I opened the OG 11th. Then I realized how much I forgot. I didn't even remember the area of the circle. :beat .
So you should renew your basic and then practise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 14:21
I graduated in 99 with a degree in Communication. The only math that was required for that major was Intro Statistics. It might not be as easy as for someone who graduated in 2007 with a BS in engineering, but it can be done. Don't psych yourself out. First step is to take a practice test and identify your weak points.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 15:05
My recommendation is to get a tutor. If you live near a university, try finding a grad student who tutors on the side. They tend to charge very affordable rates.

I have been working with a tutor for 6 weeks and my learning curve has shortened dramatically compared to preparing on my own. For example, I used to struggle with exponents. However, in reality, I was only making one type of error in my logic. My tutor was able to see this immediately, show me how to correct my logic, and now exponents are one of my strongest areas.

What I did was purchase the Kaplan math workout, and hire a tutor to work through it with me. I know that is heresy to this board, but I think Kaplan is great for learning the basics. Learning the basics is essential. Speed will come with time, which is why it's good you're starting now. Unless you're a natural test taker, or have a strong quant background, the GMAT isn't something you can cram for. Plan on giving it some time to prepare for. I recommend giving yourself 6 months at least (this all depends on the score you're aiming for). To learn the subtleties of the way the GMAT words the questions you will want to work though the official materials and perhaps consider supplementing with Manhattan GMAT guides. But the Kaplan guide will ingrain the basics in you. What I've found is most of the test prep guides have good questions that will help you learn the basics, but often do a less than quality job in explaining the answers to the questions. I personally believe they do that on purpose so you take their courses. Rather than take a course that goes at a set pace, invest in getting the one-on-one attention of a tutor. It will pay off enormously.
Intern
Intern

Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 16:35
awesome info. i am planning to go to psu for an mba. their qualifications require a 450 score, so it is not as high as some others but i am sure it will be difficult. i will definitely look for a tutor at some of the local colleges. i know this is going to be difficult, but i need to get to the next step in my employment. i will most def use this site for a while.

god, i love the interweb
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 10:06
Have you tried taking a PowerPrep exam?

You can download them for free from mba.com

There are two exams. Use the first one to get a idea of your current score. Save the second one to gauge where you are as you approach your real exam.

Unless you're really out of the loop as far as studying, I'd almost be willing to bet you could score a 450 with a week or two of studying on your own. If you want a more competitive score you should learn how to tackle all of the topics on the GMAT. For this I'd recommend a tutor. For a 450 you won't need to study topics such as permutations or any of the harder concepts. You could probably prep on your own pretty efficiently.
Intern
Intern

Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 17:10
i just want to get into graduate school. i never spent much time in college studying, but i know this will be much more challenging. i will purchase a book or two and start reading
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 07:56
dallison wrote:
i just want to get into graduate school. i never spent much time in college studying, but i know this will be much more challenging. i will purchase a book or two and start reading

I graduated 2001 and hadn't taken a math course since frosh yr. My advice: Take it slowly. Your glass will be filled to the brim if you pour in the information slowly. If you throw it in haphazardly, you'll have a glass half full of jumbled misinformation.

Just grab a Princeton Review book and re-learn the concepts slowly.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 10:06
kidderek wrote:
dallison wrote:

I graduated 2001 and hadn't taken a math course since frosh yr. My advice: Take it slowly. Your glass will be filled to the brim if you pour in the information slowly. If you throw it in haphazardly, you'll have a glass half full of jumbled misinformation.

Just grab a Princeton Review book and re-learn the concepts slowly.

great analogy
Re: how do you study for a gmat test after you have been out of   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2008, 10:06