Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How does MGMAT CAT CR compare to the real GMAT? Advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: The University of Texas at Austin
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

How does MGMAT CAT CR compare to the real GMAT? Advice? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 05:32
Hey all,

I'm 9 days from my GMAT. Between now and then I've scheduled two GMATPrep practice tests and lots of review. Over the last few months I've taken 6 MGMAT CATs with the results of the last 5 below:

620 - Q42 (66%), V33 (69%)
650 - Q43 (70%), V36 (81%)
710 - Q44 (74%), V42 (96%)
700 - Q46 (79%), V40 (91%)

with the latest 700 being today's score. I'm fairly content with my Quant score - MGMAT Quant is supposed to be harder than the real thing but I'm looking to attack a few weaknesses there.

Verbal hasn't improved during my last two tests which is most frustrating. Running analysis reports on my last two test confirms that CR is my weak Verbal spot. If I can just get my Verbal in the 42-44 range I'll be where I want to be.

So I'm looking for some advice about tackling CR as I'm obviously doing something wrong. How did you 700+ guys prep for CR? Any tips or tricks?

Many thanks!

-Aaron

Last edited by Toploader on 02 Sep 2007, 08:08, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR is my Achilles heal - hovering around 700 as a result [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 07:05
DrivinWest wrote:
Hey all,

I'm 9 days from my GMAT. Between now and then I've scheduled two GMATPrep practice tests and lots of review. Over the last few months I've taken 6 MGMAT CATs with the results of the last 5 below:

620 - Q42 (66%), V33 (69%)
650 - Q43 (70%), V36 (81%)
710 - Q44 (74%), V42 (96%)

with the latest 700 being today's score. I'm fairly content with my Quant score - MGMAT Quant is supposed to be harder than the real thing but I'm looking to attack a few weaknesses there.

Verbal hasn't improved during my last two tests which is most frustrating. Running analysis reports on my last two test confirms that CR is my weak Verbal spot. If I can just get my Verbal in the 42-44 range I'll be where I want to be.

So I'm looking for some advice about tackling CR as I'm obviously doing something wrong. How did you 700+ guys prep for CR? Any tips or tricks?

Many thanks!

-Aaron

if those are your scores from all MGMAT tests, don't worry. your done. you will break 700
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 07:49
I've changed the title of this post as it seems that some people think the MGMAT CR passages are a little iffy. I sure hope so. I'm getting less than half of them right on MGMAT CATs which give me an abundance of 600-700 and 700-800 level questions.

The OG sample problems do seem easier...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 11:15
My OG hit rate for CR's is almost near perfect now. The only probs. I have trouble on still are difficult assumption CR's and the really difficult boldface CR's. Occassionally, I miss the other types, but I am always able to narrow down to 2 choices.

Now as for MGMAT CR's... i miss more than usual. Not sure why. I dunno if they are harder or not. Maybe MGMAT CAT's just have more of the harder CR's than a usual GMAT would. Meaning the harder level CR's that would normally be 700-800 on GMATPrep are 600-700 on MGMAT. That was my experience w/ GMATPrep vs. MGMAT. but I could be wrong.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 21:06
you have done well over the last few CATs and your verbal seem to be consistent on the last 3. Dont worry you should be near 700 on the real test.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 02:25
Thanks, I hope so! I'm aiming at something in the mid-700s... let's say 740 or higher. Tweaking my V score can go a long way there.

I'm good at SC, and since I've changed my approach on CR I'm doing much better on OG problems. I've started read the question 1st, then the passage, and as I read the passage I outline it per the MGMAT diagramming method. Depending on the question I then determine if I need to add another agreeing premise (to strengthen), add an opposing premise (weaken), find a reasonable conclusion within the scope of the passage, infer another "conclusion" based on the premises given, or add a necessary assumption.

I was not diagramming before as I was skeptical about whether the time required was worth it. Now I think it is. The act of diagramming the passage basically paraphrases the important parts into my own words and allows me to attack it more easily. The OG11 CRs are taking me between 1 and 2 minutes to get through with 90-95% accuracy.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 02:39
DrivinWest wrote:
Thanks, I hope so! I'm aiming at something in the mid-700s... let's say 740 or higher. Tweaking my V score can go a long way there.

I'm good at SC, and since I've changed my approach on CR I'm doing much better on OG problems. I've started read the question 1st, then the passage, and as I read the passage I outline it per the MGMAT diagramming method. Depending on the question I then determine if I need to add another agreeing premise (to strengthen), add an opposing premise (weaken), find a reasonable conclusion within the scope of the passage, infer another "conclusion" based on the premises given, or add a necessary assumption.

I was not diagramming before as I was skeptical about whether the time required was worth it. Now I think it is. The act of diagramming the passage basically paraphrases the important parts into my own words and allows me to attack it more easily. The OG11 CRs are taking me between 1 and 2 minutes to get through with 90-95% accuracy.

You seem to be on the rght track. Goodluck
  [#permalink] 04 Sep 2007, 02:39