Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How does previous management background affect application?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How does previous management background affect application? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 04:22
I have a general questions here: how does having a MS degree in management (from a top European school, say, LSE)affect one's chance of getting an offer from a top America B-school?

Heard people say that admission people seriously don't like this kind of applicants, thinking it would be waste of educational resources. How would you guys comment on that?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How does previous management background affect application? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 10:35
I would think, as with other applicants, that you just need to provide a very compelling, and specific reason why you are pursuing an MBA. If you can provide that reason, I think you will be fine.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How does previous management background affect application? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 12:31
You may need to explain in the additional information/optional essay section what aspect of management training you found lacking in your previous studies (without being too negative about it), and what you expect to get out of an MBA from the US.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How does previous management background affect application? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 04:40
Thanks for your input, guys. I am mostly thinking about a career change (from an european consulting firm to IB in America) and I do believe experiences in American b-schools can facilitate this processs both professionally and academically. Guess the admission board can take into account of this. It's just that I rarely heard of similar cases.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: How does previous management background affect application? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 06:22
Performing well in the MS, getting good grades will confirm your academic prowess. If you had any extra-curr. will in the MS, that would show you can handle the pressure. It all depends on how you spin it in your essays.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: How does previous management background affect application? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 05:42
Depending on the electives you chose for your MS, I would suggest focusing on the non-managerial aspects of the MBA as the reasons, of which there are plenty, or consider emphasising the soft skills you have developed since the MS and how they contribute to the hard skills the MBA will try to give you. Also consider that a lot of MBA's don't actually go into management (e.g Consulting and IB) so if that is your goal you could work on those aspects.
Re: How does previous management background affect application?   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2008, 05:42