Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
Re: How does the adcom view going back to your old company? [#permalink]
This question is an important one for me; I come from a family business setting and intend to return to the company after obtaining a MBA (perhaps after several years working elsewhere for a different perspective). I would like to think that the adcom views this positively because it shows your commitment to grow with a company you believe it. Also, it supports the idea that you want to have a lasting impact on the business (thanks to a MBA from [x]).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
I feel they might view it positively since you would already know about the company and have contacts.

I agree with Class2012. I think the adcom with either view it in a neutral or positive manner. I can't see why it would be a negative.

It's important that your goals are reasonable. Why? Because employment stats have a large impact on school rankings.

So in addition to well thought out careers goals, I would assume that returning to your old company would make your placement even more likely.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
triple5soul wrote:
This question is an important one for me; I come from a family business setting and intend to return to the company after obtaining a MBA (perhaps after several years working elsewhere for a different perspective). I would like to think that the adcom views this positively because it shows your commitment to grow with a company you believe it. Also, it supports the idea that you want to have a lasting impact on the business (thanks to a MBA from [x]).

Family businesses are definitely their own special case. I know a few programs (Kellogg in particular has a fantastic family business program) look particularly favorably on family business applicants.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think these days its going to be looked at in a very positive light. Lots of people returned to their former employers for the summer and a pretty hefty number of grads headed back too. While its not something many schools talk about, employability is something they care about. So knowing you pretty much can walk back into a job thats going to help your cause.

I would suggest you research sponsorship. Some companies dont have dedicated programs like consulting companies but are willing to do one off sponsorships for certain schools. They may not want to sponsor a local no-name program but if you are heading to a top 5 school it might be possible depending on the company...and definitely is worth looking into.
GMAT Club Bot