Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How early is too early to begin studying?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

How early is too early to begin studying? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2006, 20:57
I'm a second semester senior, and I have begun worrying about the GMAT. Although I realize that it is customary to wait anywhere between 3-5+ years before applying to business school, I also realize that as a second semester senior I have much more free time to study for the exam than I will once I begin my career. Unfortunately, scores are only good for five years. If I score well on the exam but have not yet applied--or worse, been accepted--to a program, then my scores will become invalid.

So, as a second semester senior, is it too early to begin preparing for the GMAT? I know for a fact I want to go to b-school earlier than later. I'd go straight out of undergrad were it not for the fact that admissions officers want work experience.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2006, 21:30
You can start right-away if you want. Just don't start a full-fledged preparation.

Keep brushing your Math and Verbal skills from time to time. Give about 30 minutes a day to refreshing concepts so that you don't forget them over time. Once you have graduated from college and started working, I am sure that you can give at least 30 minutes or an hour maximum for GMAT Math and Verbal.

Once you have achieved sufficient work experience (at least two years), start your GMAT preparation in earnest. You should give at least two-three months for thorough preparation. Don't quit work during this time though, as it may be counted as a negative perception during your admission.

No time is too early. It all depends on how much time you can give. Just don't burn yourself out during studying.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2007, 18:48
There is no reason to prepare so early. You should take it only if you made up your mind to study MBA. You may not find you wanna study MBA after you start working.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 01:25
I've read somewhere from GMAC that you can request your scores from longer than 5 years by special request.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 02:11
If you're seriously determined about going for an MBA - I'd say go kill the GMAT now. When you start working, your ability to solve mathematical puzzles will degrade; you will never be as smart an flexible as you are during undergrad years. So if you have a lot of time - I think it's worthwhile to do a 1-2 month hardcore preparation and go get a 780 or so.

After all, if you end up not going for an MBA - well, you lose $250. Big deal. The satisfaction and pride you get from acing the GMAT will be with you anyway ;)
  [#permalink] 05 Jan 2007, 02:11