Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How far can I reach with a medicore GMAT and high GPA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How far can I reach with a medicore GMAT and high GPA? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 08:31
Hi,

I just took the GMAT and am now ready to complete the MBA application process. Hoping for your opinion on my profile.

White American Male
Age- 27
GPA- 3.9- University of Massachusetts- Finance major
GMAT- 600 (Q-42, V-31)
Work Experience- 4.5 years working for the US Department of the Navy(government job) which began in a competitive, fast track 2 year development program. I have progessed just about as quickly as you can in a government capacity to this point.

Outside of work- 2 years volunteering teaching English, All-American triathlete

I think my GMAT prevents me from applying to any top 10's. I hoped to include at least one as a stretch school. I'll save my $200. My top choice right now is University of Colorado.

My long term goal would be to make my primary living in Real Estate working independently. In the short run, I would like to continue working for the federal government with increasing capacity while developing a small Real Estate business.

What strong(stretch) MBA programs could I add to the below list?
What GMAT would give me a reasonable chance of admission to a top ten knowing my background and Stats?
What are my chances for the following schools?

Applying to:
University of Colorado
Syracuse
BU and Northeastern- Part Time

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: How far can I reach with a medicore GMAT and high GPA? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2006, 15:24
gmatring wrote:
Hi,

I just took the GMAT and am now ready to complete the MBA application process. Hoping for your opinion on my profile.

White American Male
Age- 27
GPA- 3.9- University of Massachusetts- Finance major
GMAT- 600 (Q-42, V-31)
Work Experience- 4.5 years working for the US Department of the Navy(government job) which began in a competitive, fast track 2 year development program. I have progessed just about as quickly as you can in a government capacity to this point.

Outside of work- 2 years volunteering teaching English, All-American triathlete

I think my GMAT prevents me from applying to any top 10's. I hoped to include at least one as a stretch school. I'll save my $200. My top choice right now is University of Colorado.

My long term goal would be to make my primary living in Real Estate working independently. In the short run, I would like to continue working for the federal government with increasing capacity while developing a small Real Estate business.

What strong(stretch) MBA programs could I add to the below list?
What GMAT would give me a reasonable chance of admission to a top ten knowing my background and Stats?
What are my chances for the following schools?

Applying to:
University of Colorado
Syracuse
BU and Northeastern- Part Time

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Gmatring,

Your odds at Syracuse, Northeastern, and Boston U.'s part-time program are good. Because of your GMAT Colorado has to be regarded as a "long shot," however, your GPA, industry (military), career pace, and community profile all work in your favor, so quite possibly Colorado will come through for you. If you have traditionally been a poor standardized test taker you will want to make this case in your optional essays. Other good schools where you have a decent to good shot (though I can't speak to the quality of their real estate resources) include:

--Pittsburgh Katz
--Vanderbilt
--South Carolina
--Babson

If you're interested, I also think you have a shot at UMass and Boston College. See Accepted.com's advice for low GMAT applicants.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 14:28
Thanks. I may add UMass to the list. Hopefully they'll give an alum, the extra look I need.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 12:06
gmatring wrote:
Thanks. I may add UMass to the list. Hopefully they'll give an alum, the extra look I need.

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter