Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How far does the GMAT follow you after a top school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How far does the GMAT follow you after a top school? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 07:43
Howdy all,

I recently graduated with two degrees and three majors (two were honors majors as well) from a top public school and have a job at a top 3 consulting firm. So far everything seems to be falling in place to go to an ultra-elite in a few years. My question is "how long does the GMAT follow a job candidate?"

I remember when looking for a full-time job last year that some employers still asked for SAT scores (as well as score breakdown) and while my score was good, my quant kept me from applying to a NY hedge fund (needed a 750+).

I received a 730 on my GMAT a couple of days ago, scoring Q45 (77%) and V46 (99%). Although that might be a good enough score to get into a top school with my resume, I am worried that my quant score might haunt me if I decide to look at PE/Hedge Funds/some Banks as they get to choose from the top of the top of the top. My math was at the lower end of my Princeton Review online practice tests and I am wondering what y'all thought about retaking the test.

Important enough to retake? Not worry about it and be happy with my score? What do you think?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great,

D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

No One? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 22:04
No one has any idea nor input?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 01:55
If you've spent this long thinking about it already, I would consider simply posting a higher score and clearing the issue.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 08:42
Yes, that would clear the issue but it misses the point.

There is still a valid question here that I think deserves to be explored. The GMAT doesn't just get you into business school, it becomes part of your resume. How far does the GMAT follow you?

Does it keep people out of some top jobs or is two years with stellar grades at a top-tier business school enough to clean the slate?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 12:45
It follows you to the grave. You should really consider retaking the exam to bump up that quant score.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 21:35
Sorry, I did not understand that you were interesting in exploring this issue further. Like most test scores/academic grades, the value of the GMAT decays pretty rapidly. During and immediately after business school, the GMAT has value, especially if grades are suppressed in your MBA program. For the initial job it has value for the highly selective, mass application fields such as finance and consulting. After that the first few years, its value would be largely depleted and reliance would be placed on your post-MBA record.
  [#permalink] 09 Aug 2007, 21:35