Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how far is too far for school visits?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:13
How far do adcom think that the applicant is "far enough" so not visiting the school doesn't look bad? I am interested in Duke but i am about 12 hours away driving - is that "legitimate" or I should go visit regardless?
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:35
There are no hard and fast rules, but I'd say that 12 hours is likely far enough to not raise any red flags provided you try to make up for not visiting by interacting extensively with the school community. If you really like the school though, it's always a good idea to visit and it might matter especially if you're more or less a borderline case IMO.

BTW what is Keenan? Never heard of it, do you mean Kenan, as in KFBS? Probably a good idea to get the name right on apps ;)
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 12:33
oh right.. thanks :)
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 12:38
Uhm not Keanan either, try again ;>
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1120
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 19:24
Expert's post
12 hour drive is definitely excusable for not visiting. Since Duke allows self-initiated interviews, and you need to interview to get admitted, maybe you can kill two birds with one stone - visit and interview. This way you won't have any doubts.

Good luck.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 937
Location: New Haven
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 18:43
yeah, 12 is a bit too far. IMO, i think anything less than 4 hrs (i.e. NY to Boston) is fair game for traveling to the school at least once to show interest
_________________

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 19:22
I guess I don't know your financial situation but plane tickets aren't really that expensive...that 12 hour drive is at most a 1.5 hour flight. I live in the midwest and visited Darden, Duke, Columbia in addition to all of those in the midwest...
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 20:23
ACNguy wrote:
I guess I don't know your financial situation but plane tickets aren't really that expensive...that 12 hour drive is at most a 1.5 hour flight. I live in the midwest and visited Darden, Duke, Columbia in addition to all of those in the midwest...


i did check plane and its about 200$ for 3.5hr plane ride. with rental hotel prob 300$ish. I get crap for vaca days (~1 day/month) as well. Major thing is probably me trying to juggle vacation time for visits to closer schools and saving for family stuff (like thanksgiving, xmas etc.).
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 151
Location: Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 21:51
12 hours isn't much domestically. If it means that much to you, I think the plane ticket cost is worth it. Especially this early in the game, you have tons of flexibility for buying a ticket based on price as opposed to paying for a last-minute ticket.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 43
Schools: UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:32
Spent/wasted a bunch to visit and interview at Tuck. If it's important, you'll find a way to get where you need to.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:41
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
I guess I don't know your financial situation but plane tickets aren't really that expensive...that 12 hour drive is at most a 1.5 hour flight. I live in the midwest and visited Darden, Duke, Columbia in addition to all of those in the midwest...


i did check plane and its about 200$ for 3.5hr plane ride. with rental hotel prob 300$ish. I get crap for vaca days (~1 day/month) as well. Major thing is probably me trying to juggle vacation time for visits to closer schools and saving for family stuff (like thanksgiving, xmas etc.).


Duke has an open interview period (October) that has availability on Saturdays if you sign up early enough. You could then fly in Friday night (after work), interview/tour/show interest on Saturday and fly out Saturday night or stick around and fly out Sunday night if you want to get a better feel for Durham. Then, no vacation wasted, and EXTREMELY cheap visit plus you got your interview in(trust me, $300 total is not a bad cost).
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 937
Location: New Haven
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:42
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
I guess I don't know your financial situation but plane tickets aren't really that expensive...that 12 hour drive is at most a 1.5 hour flight. I live in the midwest and visited Darden, Duke, Columbia in addition to all of those in the midwest...


i did check plane and its about 200$ for 3.5hr plane ride. with rental hotel prob 300$ish. I get crap for vaca days (~1 day/month) as well. Major thing is probably me trying to juggle vacation time for visits to closer schools and saving for family stuff (like thanksgiving, xmas etc.).


don't forget that for many schools, if you do get an interview invite, you'll likely have to make the trip back to campus again to interview. and while phone interviews are ok in some situations, the school might wonder why you made the trip to visit them, but not to interview, which is arguably more important to do in person.

if you could bang out all (visit the school, city, and interview) during the same trip, it would be worth it as ACNguy posted above
_________________

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:55
yeah i think i might do that. I might even visit Kenan while I am there since they are petty close.

A bit off topic - for those schools like duke where they can invite you for interview and you can request for interview - does it matter consideration wise if i wait for them to offer vs just going there to do it? I guess the worst case scenario is bombing the interview which gets me a ding right away vs feeling good about the invite then bomb and get dinged?
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 07:06
shaselai wrote:
yeah i think i might do that. I might even visit Kenan while I am there since they are petty close.

A bit off topic - for those schools like duke where they can invite you for interview and you can request for interview - does it matter consideration wise if i wait for them to offer vs just going there to do it? I guess the worst case scenario is bombing the interview which gets me a ding right away vs feeling good about the invite then bomb and get dinged?


Schools want you to do the self-initiated interview, it shows interest and passion for the school. You will NOT be at a disadvantage if you self-initiate the interview. You're simply taking one more variable out of the equation (actually being invited).
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 25
Schools: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
WE 1: Marketing
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 15:09
Don't ever visit a school without at least an interview invite. Its a complete waste of time and money and does not factor into your application AT ALL. If its within 4-5 hours driving distance, then maybe.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 15:29
crazy question but,

anyone try to visit kellogg and booth the same day?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 43
Schools: UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 05:11
ozzy10fl wrote:
Don't ever visit a school without at least an interview invite. Its a complete waste of time and money and does not factor into your application AT ALL. If its within 4-5 hours driving distance, then maybe.


I wouldn't say it's a complete waste; the experience can add a personal touch to essays, which is turn shows effort on your part. At the least I'd get in touch with a current student to pickup some quotes and program-specific themes.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1879
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:37
lbird33 wrote:
ozzy10fl wrote:
Don't ever visit a school without at least an interview invite. Its a complete waste of time and money and does not factor into your application AT ALL. If its within 4-5 hours driving distance, then maybe.


I wouldn't say it's a complete waste; the experience can add a personal touch to essays, which is turn shows effort on your part. At the least I'd get in touch with a current student to pickup some quotes and program-specific themes.


What would the best way of contacting students be? I have tried LinkedIn and Facebook messaging and even shooting a couple of emails. But a lot of the current students seem reluctant to respond to these. Would attending the lunch program (like at HBS) be a good idea?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:49
I was 11.5 hours away and I visited twice. :) I think you should do your interview together with the visit to get the most out of your trip.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 43
Schools: UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:51
whiplash2411 wrote:
lbird33 wrote:
ozzy10fl wrote:
Don't ever visit a school without at least an interview invite. Its a complete waste of time and money and does not factor into your application AT ALL. If its within 4-5 hours driving distance, then maybe.


I wouldn't say it's a complete waste; the experience can add a personal touch to essays, which is turn shows effort on your part. At the least I'd get in touch with a current student to pickup some quotes and program-specific themes.


What would the best way of contacting students be? I have tried LinkedIn and Facebook messaging and even shooting a couple of emails. But a lot of the current students seem reluctant to respond to these. Would attending the lunch program (like at HBS) be a good idea?


The lunch program would probably work but I can't speak from experience, as I didn't have the chops for HBS. I went through friends-of-friends and received some good, unbiased feedback on my candidacy and the school. They can give you hints on what aspects to really stress in your application and I would weave a quote into my essays (usually in response to "Why this school?" or "What will you bring?" questions) to show I had taken some time to understand both. Just my opinion.
Re: how far is too far for school visits?   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 07:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic How far is A from C? kashishh 7 20 Jun 2012, 11:14
How far are you moving for school? Just wondering jamesrwrightiii 14 04 Aug 2007, 21:38
How far does the GMAT follow you after a top school? Dtark 5 01 Aug 2007, 07:43
experiences - how far back is too far? EconGirl 3 26 Dec 2006, 10:43
Are PP Quantitative Questions Far Too Easy? Lazio 1 09 Feb 2006, 11:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

how far is too far for school visits?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.