Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How good are the Verbal Challenges?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
Almost everyone on this forum praises the GMATClub Math Challenges but what about the Verbal? I took part of the first Verbal Challenge and the question and answers don't seem to correlate that well with the real test (especially with RC).
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 450 [2] , given: 210

Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
They are OK for practice, but the style of questions is not very similar to the GMAT. Unfortunately, I found many questions open to debate and far too subjective for my liking. So, if you have the time and the inclination for practice, take these tests, however, be wary that they are not an accurate representation of the GMAT and a poor score on these is not a guaranteed indicator of a low V score in GMAT (and vice-versa).

The Quant ones on the other hand are out of this world. Simple the best Q practice material that money can buy.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 712 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 03:24
Hi, guys. We really appreciate your input and willingness to make the verbal Tests better. However, to improve the verbal Challenges we need more precise comments about the quality of the questions. We encourage you to post in the 'GMAT Club Tests' forum and give us some clue how to improve the quality of a particular question or the Verbals as a whole.

Thanks a lot. +1 for both of you.
bsd_lover wrote:
They are OK for practice, but the style of questions is not very similar to the GMAT. Unfortunately, I found many questions open to debate and far too subjective for my liking. So, if you have the time and the inclination for practice, take these tests, however, be wary that they are not an accurate representation of the GMAT and a poor score on these is not a guaranteed indicator of a low V score in GMAT (and vice-versa).

The Quant ones on the other hand are out of this world. Simple the best Q practice material that money can buy.

lionheart187 wrote:
Almost everyone on this forum praises the GMATClub Math Challenges but what about the Verbal? I took part of the first Verbal Challenge and the question and answers don't seem to correlate that well with the real test (especially with RC).

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 450 [3] , given: 210

Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
dybuzam - here's some more details of what I thought of the verbal challenges and where I feel they could be improved :

1. The SCs are rather straight up. What I mean is, more often than not, they only test one concept. A typical GMAT SC is not that robotic, it tests 2-3 subtle concepts and it throws answer choices that look correct, but are not. Also, the GMAT sentences tend to be longer. This is because GMAT test creators put in lots of "padding" in sentences to obfuscate the meaning of the sentence. GMAT also tests the overall meaning of the sentence quite frequently. Furthermore, GMAT sentences are out of publications, books etc. The sentences in the challenges felt very "contrived". Its not they are incorrect or are a poor test, its just that they don't "feel" like the real GMAT (I could argue the same about MGMAT's verbal tests).

2. CR - we can debate this one till the cows come home, but after looking at several LSAT and GMAT (and MGMAT, Kaplan CRs), I felt that the CRs in the challenges were more open to debate - i.e. they were not water tight enough.

3. The order of the questions. This is a minor gripe, however, it may help usability of the verbals. Typically GMATprep throws at least 2-3 CRs , 1 passage (3-4 questions) and 2-3 SCs by the end of the 1st 10 questions. The variety might have something to do with its internal scoring algorithm. The challenges should try to "mimic" this order, at least initially.
CIO
CIO

Kudos [?]: 712 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 05:39
Thanks for the detailed explanations, BSD. +2.
We'll do our best to improve the Verbal Tests.

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2419

Kudos [?]: 10393 [0], given: 3780

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 10:58
Expert's post
Thanks for the feedback. We are hoping to expand the number of verbal tests available.

If anyone has time/ability to work on the Verbal tests and create several new tests - we are interested to work with you and will compensate for your time. Certain requirements will apply. Please PM me for details.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 23:56
Hi ,

Has anyone taken GMATCLUB TEST V5??

I took it just now and had a disappointing score of just 17 :-(.

I know I am bad at verbal but score of 17 is kind of frustrating.

All other test which I took, I had a score ranging from 26 to 31.

Unfortunately, CR section in which I thought to be very confident has become my weak point.

I am struggling in RC and CR.

Anyone please help..
1 KUDOS received
CIO
CIO

Kudos [?]: 712 [1] , given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

You might want to go through this thread if you haven't yet:
new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html

It has a lot of valuable info and links.

Don't be frustrated because of the score you get, but rather pay attention to the cause of your errors. Make sure to analyze all questions that you got wrong. Maintaining an Error Log is also very helpful in tracking down your weak areas. If you notice a pattern in your errors, do your best to eliminate the errors using that info.

Good luck with your prep!
bhanupra wrote:
Hi ,

Has anyone taken GMATCLUB TEST V5??

I took it just now and had a disappointing score of just 17 :-(.

I know I am bad at verbal but score of 17 is kind of frustrating.

All other test which I took, I had a score ranging from 26 to 31.

Unfortunately, CR section in which I thought to be very confident has become my weak point.

I am struggling in RC and CR.

Anyone please help..

Re: How good are the Verbal Challenges?   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2010, 01:50