Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How good is 660?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How good is 660? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 04:15
Hi

I have got a GMAT score of 660 (87 percentile)
Q- 49 (90%)
V - 33 (70%)
Essays - 6

I have got almost five years IT experience with a reputed firm.
And 2.5 years (included in the above 5 years) international experience in US in a lead position.

GPA of 3.6

Good Enough Community Service....

Considering all this, how good is my GMAT score and what are the best schools that I should be applying ?
My interest is to change from IT technological lead to General Management and senior leadership in an IT or Telecom firm.

I know I belong to a group of Indian IT male - but, I am confident I can demonstrate my uniqueness.

Thanks A Ton,
Satish.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 12:58
Hi,

Responding to the subject of your post a 660 would place you a bit above the Gen Rep Near Elite, close to the middle of the Gen Rep Transelite, and a bit below the Gen Rep elite.

I would suggest some Transelites such as Texas and USC and perhaps some Near Elites such as MD.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: How good is 660? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 19:20
Expert's post
svudayag wrote:
Hi

Q- 49 (90%)
V - 33 (70%)
Essays - 6

And 2.5 years (included in the above 5 years) international experience in US in a lead position.

GPA of 3.6

Considering all this, how good is my GMAT score and what are the best schools that I should be applying ?
My interest is to change from IT technological lead to General Management and senior leadership in an IT or Telecom firm.

I know I belong to a group of Indian IT male - but, I am confident I can demonstrate my uniqueness.

Thanks A Ton,
Satish.

I have a few questions:

Where did you go to college?
What did you major in?
Have you worked anywhere else besides India and the US?
Would you be willing to retake the GMAT and do you believe you can improve your verbal score?[/list]

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 21:35
Thanks Linda & Hjort !!

I have completed my Engineering in Electrical & Electronics at one of the most reputed schools in India (top 10) ... with 77 % aggregate (Topper % =80%)

I have worked only in US and India, though I was supposed to go to Sydney couple of months back, I choose not to go, because of my GMAT preparation.

My Age: 25

I can consider retaking GMAT if it really helps, but I doubt !! ( I almost fell asleep during my verbal section of GMAT !!, The test was in the afternoon)

Considering my goals and dreams, I am more interested in Consulting. Any ideas of what stream I should be going to taking into account my IT background.

Sorry Hjort, I did not understand the jargon of Gen Rep, Transelite etc, Also, it would be cool if you can write names of the school, so that I don't have to resort to wild guesses and google :)

Thanks,
Satish.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 07:01
Good point- I suppose I was a bit vague about the schools.

For simplicity, consider schools as having two main reputation values
1)Gen Rep= General Reputation of MBA program
2)Domain Specific Reputation(s)= Reputation for each specific subfield (finance, IT, accounting, etc.)

Some schools with outstanding Domain Specific Reputations such as Rochester and Carnegie Mellon have somewhat weaker General Reputations.

General Reputations are represented by clusters. The transelite cluster is just below and to some extent overlaps the bottom edge of the elite cluster. This cluster includes schools such as University of Texas-Austin and the University of Southern California.

The Near Elite cluster is just below the transelite and to some extent overlaps with the transelite cluster. These are often smaller schools that concentrate on fields with strong Domain Specific rankings but might have few offerings in other fields. I believe I mentioned the University of Maryland (Smith) which is strong in IT.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: How good is 660? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 10:12
Expert's post
svudayag wrote:
Hi

Q- 49 (90%)
V - 33 (70%)
Essays - 6

GPA of 3.6

Thanks A Ton,
Satish.

I don't think you're going to like this suggestion, but here it is: retake the GMAT. Increasing your verbal above the 80% level would make you a competitive candidate at the schools, like Tuck, Darden, Kellogg, Michigan, that feed the major management consulting firms. A 660 from an Indian IT male is a low score for those schools and is a major hurdle in an intensely competitive sub-group of applicants.

If you choose not to retake the GMAT, consider schools like UT, Cornell, UNC, U of Maryland, Indiana, and USC.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog