Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Re: How hard are the OG verbal questions in general? [#permalink]
What's the best way to prepare for RC? I feel this is my strongest area in Verbal, but I didn't purchase any books for it (e.g. MGMAT RC or Powerscore RC).

If I consistently get about 2 RC questions wrong in an entire Verbal section, I feel that there is not much I can do right? Also, to get let's say 40V, 45V, or 50V, how many questions can you get wrong in each scenario?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
IMO, it is beneficial to practice with passages that are dense with complex info. I find that The Economist is a great resource for this. Especially since it has articles on science, culture, etc. Also, the Editorial page of a major newspaper has nice size passages. Also articles in FT, WSJ on business earnings, etc since they mix numbers with words. Practice reading at a quick pace, making a mental note of what might be pertinent and where it is located. After whatever you read, do a quick mental summary of the article, its format, and tone.

Skimming a passage never worked for me. I just found reading the way I described above every day built up my reading and retention skills.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
topher wrote:
What's the best way to prepare for RC? I feel this is my strongest area in Verbal, but I didn't purchase any books for it (e.g. MGMAT RC or Powerscore RC).

If I consistently get about 2 RC questions wrong in an entire Verbal section, I feel that there is not much I can do right? Also, to get let's say 40V, 45V, or 50V, how many questions can you get wrong in each scenario?

I've had a similar experience with RC. I typically miss about 2 questions per exam, but I'm not sure if a book would be a significant help. One way you might be able to improve is if you're consistently missing the same type of question (inference, tone, etc.).

40V vs. 45V vs. 50V - Although this varies significantly based on when you miss questions and their proximity to one another, this is the best case scenario from what I've seen (reading posts).

40V ~10 Questions Wrong
45V ~5 Questions Wrong
50V ~0-1 Question Wrong

Don't take that to the bank, because someone may step in and correct me, but I use those approximate numbers as a guide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Ross
Send PM
Could you tell how hard the SC questions are in OG, please? I hardly get 60% correct.
Please pour some tips to improve in SC.
Current Student
Send PM
couple of the passages from the OG 12 really beat me up - the last couple were really hard to understand and i ended up guessing on them... In a real test do I just have to read it again and again or make educated guesses when the passage is really difficult to understand?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Avernusaur wrote:
topher wrote:

I've had a similar experience with RC. I typically miss about 2 questions per exam, but I'm not sure if a book would be a significant help. One way you might be able to improve is if you're consistently missing the same type of question (inference, tone, etc.).

40V vs. 45V vs. 50V - Although this varies significantly based on when you miss questions and their proximity to one another, this is the best case scenario from what I've seen (reading posts).

40V ~10 Questions Wrong
45V ~5 Questions Wrong
50V ~0-1 Question Wrong

Don't take that to the bank, because someone may step in and correct me, but I use those approximate numbers as a guide.

Alright thanks for the 40V/45V/50V breakdown. I would like to get myself to 45V, but right now I am upper 30's. Most of my wrong q's come from SC (working through MGMAT SC). CR is ok, but I need to work on it as well. RC, as stated before, is pretty good.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
vannu wrote:
Could you tell how hard the SC questions are in OG, please? I hardly get 60% correct.

What are you using to learn the material? If you're scoring that low, something is wrong with your approach to the problems.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
vannu wrote:

What are you using to learn the material? If you're scoring that low, something is wrong with your approach to the problems.

I am using MGMAT SC and the Spideys notes. What else should I read? When I do the same question second time(without seeing the right answer),I get it right most of the time.

I split the questions as suggested by the SC and after the completion of the chapter, I am working on the questions. How can I improve? Is there any scope to improve? WHen it comes to RC, most of the times my strike is around 75-100% depending on the passages. Please suggest me few things which would help me improve my score.
Current Student
Send PM
vannu wrote:
Quote:
vannu wrote:

I am using MGMAT SC and the Spideys notes. What else should I read? When I do the same question second time(without seeing the right answer),I get it right most of the time.

I split the questions as suggested by the SC and after the completion of the chapter, I am working on the questions. How can I improve? Is there any scope to improve? WHen it comes to RC, most of the times my strike is around 75-100% depending on the passages. Please suggest me few things which would help me improve my score.

i just started to do SC following MGMAT SC's question suggestion. I guess since the questions are laid out by topic you could see what topic you are getting wrong on and practice that particular topic.

for RC, can you find anything particular about the passage itself that you are getting ~75% wrong on? I know for me i found couple of the theory/economic passages to be extremely boring and hard to read/understand while the science and other parts were a breeze with decent results. I am planning to go through all the MGMAT books and the suggested questions (which will cover most the ques in the OG) and after all that go through the OGs again and try to see if i make the same mistakes again etc.

Do you also try to cross out answers you know are wrong when doing problems? I am doing that and for questions i am not sure on i put question marks so i will check it out even if i "guessed" it right.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
vannu wrote:

It sounds like you have an approach issue. MGMAT SC and Spiedys notes are helpful, but (from what I'm gathering) your shortcoming seems to be material and not strategy.

Getting a question right the second time around is useful, but you want to consistently score 80% or higher on practice problems.

Do you know what concepts in SC give you trouble (tense, agreements in #, order of events, idioms, etc.)? Simply reading the chapter and then doing the problem doesn't mean you've acquired the proper written English rules. Try to be aware ALL the time to improve your proper written English (writing emails, speaking, IM'ing, etc.). The more aware you are of proper written English, the better you'll do on the SC section.

Try to figure out what's tripping you up in SC.

Different people will swear by different approaches for RC problems. I found writing a sentence for each paragraph helped me retain information, and also ranking the solutions (depending on the question) helped eliminated obvious incorrect answers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
i just started to do SC following MGMAT SC's question suggestion. I guess since the questions are laid out by topic you could see what topic you are getting wrong on and practice that particular topic.

for RC, can you find anything particular about the passage itself that you are getting ~75% wrong on? I know for me i found couple of the theory/economic passages to be extremely boring and hard to read/understand while the science and other parts were a breeze with decent results. I am planning to go through all the MGMAT books and the suggested questions (which will cover most the ques in the OG) and after all that go through the OGs again and try to see if i make the same mistakes again etc.

Do you also try to cross out answers you know are wrong when doing problems? I am doing that and for questions i am not sure on i put question marks so i will check it out even if i "guessed" it right.

I get 75-80 percent correct in RC questions.Most of the times,I miss the primary purpose and suggest or inference(details) questions.I am sure with practice I can improve.

I am doing 30-45 SC problems at a time so I may be rushing when attempting the answers.I'll try working 10 problems at a time and see if I can reach to 80 %. And I guess I should concentrate on the rules and approach.Another problem is I try to read one or two answer choices(not in an order, mostly catchy answer choices) and pick one of them.I don't know when I'll give up this...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
It sounds like you have an approach issue. MGMAT SC and Spiedys notes are helpful, but (from what I'm gathering) your shortcoming seems to be material and not strategy.
-- -- could you explain in detail? and what is the solution? I want to put my full effort to score above 700 - another concern is I am not very good at quant too. So I have to give equal importance to verbal and quant
Getting a question right the second time around is useful, but you want to consistently score 80% or higher on practice problems.

Do you know what concepts in SC give you trouble (tense, agreements in #, order of events, idioms, etc.)? Simply reading the chapter and then doing the problem doesn't mean you've acquired the proper written English rules. Try to be aware ALL the time to improve your proper written English (writing emails, speaking, IM'ing, etc.). The more aware you are of proper written English, the better you'll do on the SC section.

Try to figure out what's tripping you up in SC.

Different people will swear by different approaches for RC problems. I found writing a sentence for each paragraph helped me retain information, and also ranking the solutions (depending on the question) helped eliminated obvious incorrect answers.

I have problem with the tense, order of events. Most of the times, I rush..I work on 30-45 SC problems at a time and tend to rush..One bad habit is I try to fix one answer by just seeing one or two answer choices and most of the times, I ignore to read rest of the answer choices...Another pattern I observed is, I get 3-4 questions straight incorrect... I am not a native speaker so I should push myself to cross the barriers.

Please suggest.
GMAT Club Bot