Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: How hard is OG11 when compared to the GMAT? [#permalink]
Read this thread for suggestions on which study materials to order:

best-gmat-books-77703.html

If you haven't yet, I also suggest reading these:
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

and:
everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Relations
Send PM
Since you're working from the OG11, you may find this analysis of the differences between the OG11 and the OG12 helpful as well: https://www.manhattangmat.com/official-guide-12.cfm

You might also try taking our free practice test, since the free analytics that come with a test might help you identify where it is that you'll be able to make the progress you're looking for: https://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm

In addition, we've heard generally that OG problems do get more difficult the higher the numbers get, though there are a few outliers (there are a few easy questions sprinkled throughout.) If you're looking to get more strategy guides, and ours are in the running, I would suggest looking at the problems we reference in the "Advanced" section of each book, since we've categorized those as more difficult problems.

If you're not looking to buy more study materials at this point, you might find some of the free articles we have to be useful. This one, for example, discusses the distinction between a 700-level scorer and a 760-level scorer: https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions about any of our materials (free or otherwise.)

Best,
Caitlin
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
For tougher Quant questions you can have a look at gmatclub tests. Tests are best designed to achieve higher score on GMAT! You can try 2 free tests from here https://gmatclub.com/blog/free-gmat-test ... b-members/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TehJay wrote:
dokiyoki wrote:
If you are looking for a score of 750+, OG certainly isnt enough.
Did you use Manhattan study material for Verbal and Quant ?

Well damn. Have I wasted the past month?

I haven't used any other books. I read in the book thread that this was one of the best all-around ones, so I got it. My biggest weakness is actually in the Quant section, which is funny because I have a math degree. I've been downloading and studying a lot of the material I've found in the Quant forum here, which has helped, but do you think I should get the Manhattan book too?

Oh, doing OG is certainly not a waste of time. Infact now that you've completed OG, you may have an idea of the sections where u need to improve. Accordingly, you may want to look at only a particular (or may be even none) MGMAT Quant Book.
GMATClub, indeed, is very resourceful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Insead,NTU,NUS
WE 1: 6.5 years in Decision Sciences
Send PM
I am confused on which addidtional book to buy for practice. I am currently doing OG 12 edition. best-gmat-books-77703.html - says Verbal OG & Quant OG+ Princeton for an ultimate plan. Should I buy these 3 or Kaplan 800. Please advise.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
libra269 wrote:
I am confused on which addidtional book to buy for practice. I am currently doing OG 12 edition. best-gmat-books-77703.html - says Verbal OG & Quant OG+ Princeton for an ultimate plan. Should I buy these 3 or Kaplan 800. Please advise.

OG Quant and OG Verbal are pretty good considering they contain retired GMAT questions.
I have heard good things about Kaplan 800 (good practice questions).
If you want to brush up your math skills then i would suggest you to have a look at the Manhattan books.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
libra269 wrote:

I am using Manhattan Turbocharge Verbal Companion and it s gr8 for practice.Definitely prefer over Princeton.Gmatclubtests for quants.Rest Powerscore CR and OG for RC.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Subhash,
Where can I get this Turbocharge Verbal Companion?
Tx.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
If you want a higher quant score then I think the gmatclub math tests are better prep than the OG11.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I took the GMATClub math diagnostics test last night. Got 28/45 right, so not great. Definitely learned some things and will study it intensely. I'm also going to pick up the Manhattan Number Properties guide, since number theory seems to be my weakest category in quant. Thanks for the advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
TehJay wrote:
I took the GMATClub math diagnostics test last night. Got 28/45 right, so not great. Definitely learned some things and will study it intensely. I'm also going to pick up the Manhattan Number Properties guide, since number theory seems to be my weakest category in quant. Thanks for the advice!

The Manhattan Numbers Properties Guide will also give you access to 6 CATs online plus some more questions to try. I think gmatclub Quant section is a better resource than anything else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
From what i red, I m pretty sure that you will get a 680+ score. While OG is easier than the hardest questions on GMAT, it gives you a good insight! Wish you all the best!!
GMAT Club Bot