Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How I failed GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-19-2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

How I failed GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 14:52
I am too stressed now to write something coherent, I am thinking about everything and nothing simultaneously...
I need a minimum of 650 to be accepted at Rotman, Schulich and Wilfred Laurie I am looking at. I scored 640 at the exam 1 hour ago...
Math part was very stressful, I encountered a couple of question types I've never seen before. One of the was sudoku-like, another was a table and one more ridiculous geometry question, which didn't have 180-sec solution at the first sight. I am sure that I had at least 12-14 DS questions, most of them coming in a raw. Difficulty - I would not say that I saw even 1 question at 750+ comparing to Bunuel's pickings (except unknown questions mentioned above). My perception was that I following a constant flaw of 650-700 GMAT questions. Eventually, despite my anxiety, Math part came up to Q49. I was working with Manhattan 8 books pack and CATs. For sure, real GMAT is easier than that. And, of course, gmatclub 700+ questions are harder.
But Verbal part completely destroyed me. I can hardly remember even one obvious answer, which you can pick without hesitation in 30 sec in either SC, RC or CR. I am sure that I saw at least two correct "being" usage in SC. I didn't even have a feeling of the difficulty. It was constantly "WTF is going on", which I sometimes experience on 700+ questions. I believe that first of all, I failed on SC, which I find many times harder than that from Manhattan: they were time consuming and testing on meaning and tense at once; only a couple of times I made a decent split based on idioms or other obvious mistakes. English is not my native thus verbal was never my strongest part, however I have never scored bellow 30... CRs were slightly harder than I expected, RC were at expected level.

I don't know if I should retake an exam or apply as is.

MGMAT1 - 610
MGMAT2 - 670
MGMAT3 - 640

OMG

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2279

Kudos [?]: 8818 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How I failed GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 19:15
Expert's post
Seems like very little difference between 650 and 640.

I understand that it is very annoying and tragic to be short by just 10 points. I would suggest to focus on your applications and plan to submit as is. If you have time, and can wait 31 days, then you can show up and take the test again without much prep and chances are, you will get 650+

Another strategy could be to brush up a bit and focus on a few things - you should be able to easily raise your score by 20-40 points.

I think you are in a decent shape. You did not win this one but the victory is DEFINITELY within reach and should be yours in a month :)

Take a rest and good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-19-2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: How I failed GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 12:08
bb wrote:

I understand that it is very annoying and tragic to be short by just 10 points. I would suggest to focus on your applications and plan to submit as is. If you have time, and can wait 31 days, then you can show up and take the test again without much prep and chances are, you will get 650+

Another strategy could be to brush up a bit and focus on a few things - you should be able to easily raise your score by 20-40 points.

I think you are in a decent shape. You did not win this one but the victory is DEFINITELY within reach and should be yours in a month :)

I want to thank everybody related to this forum. It was a great help to me. I enjoyed sharing my GMAT-ideas and felt the enthusiasm of people involved in GMAT-discussions.
I got admitted in Rotman School of Management for the Master's of Finance program for the Fall of 2013 intake. It is a little bit sad, but I think I will not come back to GMAT again (it will be always in my heart).
CFA is the next stop.

MGMAT1 - 610
MGMAT2 - 670
MGMAT3 - 640

OMG

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: How I failed GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 12:16
fukirua wrote:
bb wrote:

I want to thank everybody related to this forum. It was a great help to me. I enjoyed sharing my GMAT-ideas and felt the enthusiasm of people involved in GMAT-discussions.
I got admitted in Rotman School of Management for the Master's of Finance program for the Fall of 2013 intake. It is a little bit sad, but I think I will not come back to GMAT again (it will be always in my heart).
CFA is the next stop.

Congrats!! From what I hear - CFA is pretty tough as well, but I'm not sure it'll be as difficult as the GMAT stuff is - especially if you're interested in finance!

Good luck at Rotman!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Re: How I failed GMAT   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 12:16