Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How I got into business school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [5] , given: 0

How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I probably decided to go to business school around this time last year. I'd long been considering where to take my graduate education, and as I work in a field that doesn't have many MBAs (international development), B-school was far from my obvious choice. In fact, I was a little reluctant to consider it. But I finally decided the degree (along with a joint degree in a related field) would serve my interests better than any other, and began studying for the GMAT sometime last March or April.

Part One - the GMAT

Everyone goes about studying for The Test differently, but I tend to think that if nothing else, the law of diminishing returns limits how much time you can productively use preparing for it. As a native English speaker who happens to have very strong verbal skills, I wasn't worried about that section of the test - I might have done two practice sections, max, in the entire time I studied. The quantitative section would be my biggest challenge, so I set out to hit it hard.

I bought two books - Kaplan's Comprehensive book and the GMAC's official guide, with a bunch of real tests included. I resolved that I would begin my prep work by reviewing all the basic concepts and then doing 10-15 problems a day until I killed the Kaplan book. That didn't take long. Then I began doing a full quant section every few days, and a full test (or two) each weekend. I did that for at least a month. These were all paper-based tests... which, in hindsight, was probably a mistake. I didn't like the Kaplan software too much and frankly didn't have the patience to simulate real CBT conditions, so I did all my full tests the old fashioned way. Altogether, I probably spent 8-10 weeks on the prep stage.

On test day, I drove 1.5 hrs to the site, sat down and scored a 690. I was pretty satisfied until I saw my score breakdown - I verbal-ed pretty well, but only scored a 57th percentile on quant. Screw it. I took my score and rolled with it.

Part Two - the GMAT... again

I took a few months off, scored a hot girlfriend, had a great summer and even got some traveling in for work. I also set about studying for the GRE, which I figured I'd need to apply to one of the joint programs I was looking at. I took the same approach there - a month or two of taking practice tests followed by the real thing. By comparison, the GRE math was real easy. I scored a 760/750 verbal/quant and went home a happy man.

Shortly thereafter, I reconsidered my original GMAT score. That 57th percentile really stuck out, and as a guy coming from a non-quantitative background, I would need something stronger to have a shot at the schools I was looking at. I decided that using my GRE math prep as a base, I would take another three weeks, really knuckle down and try again. This time, I bought a Kaplan quant prep book and just did several sets a night. I retook the test on my birthday and scored a 700 - this time with a 78th percentile quant. Score.

Part Three - Schools

Yale - I spent a summer working at Yale, so I'd seen the B-school, but wasn't about to travel up to New Haven again just to put in an appearance. In retrospect, I don't think I'd want to spend two years in New Haven, and probably could have saved myself the two hundred bucks. Ding.

Haas and Stanford - I have a close friend who lives in Palo Alto, so on a trip to see him I went on visits at Haas (where I met Kryzak!) and Stanford. Haas is easily the most attractive school I saw, and I was very impressed with my tour and discussion with FY students there. I wasn't the biggest fan of Berkeley, though. I was deeply unimpressed with my visit to Stanford. The GSB is simply unattractive. The info session was interesting but pretty general, and the adcom member there was cheerful and helpful, but not all that engaging. (Of course, they have so many prospectives wanting info that I guess accommodating them all would be awfully hard.) Overall, I don't think living in the Bay Area for two years is for me. I applied to both schools more or less because, hell, why not? (Answer: five hundred bucks. That's one.)

Darden - My alma mater. I applied there as one of my "high-mid-range" schools. I knew the school already from my undergrad days, so I didn't go to tour or sit in on a class or anything. I did get an interview, and after it I went on a tour led by a girl who had also gone to UVA for her undergrad. The interview itself was friendly, straightforward and enjoyable. The school is beautiful, the case method sounds fascinating, and the lunch we had with some professors there was very interesting. Plus, I got some really hot blonde chick's number (I later learned she got in and is matriculating - score!). Overall, Darden probably had the best admissions process I went through this year. I declined, though, because they didn't show me any financial aid love.

Duke - Similarly, I didn't do any tour/class visit before applying. At my self-initiated interview day, I met some current FY kids who had some pretty diverse backgrounds. My interview was with a SY student whose questions I unwittingly addressed in my "why the MBA" schpiel, so we had a very easy discussion. The whole "Super Saturday" thing was exceptionally well organized and kinda fun. I was admitted with a generous aid package, and start this fall!

Texas - For lack of a better term, one of my "safety" schools, made particularly attractive because I was interested in a joint degree with their Public Policy school. Similarly, never visited. Their online system is a pain, but the interview I had with an alumnus in my area was relatively easy to set up, frank and painless. Their admit package was easily the coolest of all the ones I got - lots of cool information and very well presented. But even the coolness of Austin isn't enough to make me move to that backwater state.

UNC - Another safety, sort of. I don't think Kenan-Flagler gets enough respect for the strength of its program. I'm a NC resident, so going here was an attractive option... but while my interview was okay, the students I met (all two of them) were kind of unimpressive. I wasn't blown away by their organization, either - I arrived ten minutes early for my interview, and the office secretary wasn't there yet. They were setting up tables for coffee and bagels and whatnot. Their admit package was also cool, but particularly after Duke's aid package brought the COA to comparable levels, I couldn't justify going there over Fuqua.

Questions everyone is dying to ask

How I picked schools: Basically, I looked at my numbers and decided which schools I'd have a realistic shot at after I wrote a bomb-diggity essay. I also looked specifically at schools that were strong in areas I'm interested in - social entrepreneurship, the "social sector" or whatever you want to call doing good things with your degree. I wasn't totally in love with any of them, though if I'd had my druthers, I would've gone to Haas. I'm very excited about Duke, though.

What would I have done differently: Firstly, I wouldn't have applied to three "reach" schools. I probably would've nixed the Yale application entirely and instead of Stanford, put in an app at Kellogg, where I would've stood a better shot. I also probably would have done more computer-based test prep instead of on paper. But overall, I have no huge regrets about the process.

Hope this is informative to some folks out there. I'm stuck in a hotel room on business and had some time to kill. Enjoy!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [2] , given: 5

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
please see this thread...might be good to just add this story to this thread and keep it growing. p404910

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
nice post Toubab +1

rhyme, bb ,praet .... maybe we should have a sub-section with each members story as opposed to these stories scattered and lost in the boards.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 08:28
I second Terp's suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"George is getting upset!"

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 08:33
i think stories like this should go into user profile's...or at least the profile should possess a link to a space that the member can use for stories like this.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 09:39
terp26 wrote:
nice post Toubab +1

rhyme, bb ,praet .... maybe we should have a sub-section with each members story as opposed to these stories scattered and lost in the boards.

Isn't that what the Member Profiles section is for?
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 09:41
I think the members profile is more just to see an in-depth and more personal recap of a trusted member's profile. Not actually a story "from GMAT to Acceptance" per se.

isa wrote:
terp26 wrote:
nice post Toubab +1

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 09:53
Raabend wrote:
I think the members profile is more just to see an in-depth and more personal recap of a trusted member's profile. Not actually a story "from GMAT to Acceptance" per se.

isa wrote:
terp26 wrote:
nice post Toubab +1

Gotcha. In that case, I agree - having a section for these would be great.
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 15:10
I completely agree. I think admissions season obituaries are an excellent idea!

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 15:29
Expert's post
First of all, Toubab, thank you for the great post. It is a pearl that needs to be saved.

About the subforum - I see a number of moderators are supporting this suggestion but I think we should still follow the standard procedure of moderator voting and discussion before any major change to give a number of others to express their opinion, so I will be posting it in the Moderator-Only forum - All moderators are encouraged to visit and take a vote.

P.S. Isa - thank you for posting it in the Support/Suggestions forum.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 15:46
terp26 wrote:
nice post Toubab +1

Ditto.

Let's have a sub-forum for personal bschool journey and put stories like that in there.

However, I think a sub-forum like that exist. I am sure I saw a sub-forum where stories like that from former members reside....

Was that knowledge vault?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 16:15
Great post, Toubab!

I concur that a separate section for our "stories" would be great -- I had something similar and posted it to the Member Profiles section since I wasn't sure where it should have gone.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 16:52
Sadly my story was lost in a database crash, but the suggestion is good.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 21:58
Expert's post
Maybe the most courageous moderator can sticky the thread or merge threads or start a 2009 one.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 22:20
Let's just leave this thread here.

I added the link to the Business Knowledge Vault main page created by Kryzak

p459014-gmat-clubbers-b-school-application-journeys#p459014

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How I got into business school [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 06:07
the story was a great idea. Just started reading another MBA's journey into B school. He had 720 GMA, 10+ years career and spoke 3plus languages. Check how he rates his schools. http://www.businessbecause.com/news/mba ... -one-81282
Re: How I got into business school   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2012, 06:07