Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Send PM
Re: How I upgraded my 700 to a 770 (Q50, V44) [#permalink]
Kudos
bjmillan wrote:
Wow, that truly is an amazing score. Congratulations!

You really do make Jeff Sackmann's products sound tempting, but how would his Total GMAT Math compare to the Manhattan GMAT math series?

I just started MGMAT Number Properties, and plan to finish this book. But afterward, should I jump ship or continue with MGMAT?

Thanks in advance!

I can't make a fair comparison, because I've only used the Number Properties book, which I thought was very good. I think the real value in Jeff Sackmann's book is the practice material and answer explanations for each chapter. It's also worth mentioning that Total GMAT Math also covered all of the concepts that were covered in MGMAT Number Properties, so it wasn't necessary to use both for that subject.

Maybe someone else who has used both resources can comment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Avernusaur

Great score!

I just finished the challenge set for geometry and i was pretty impressed (espc DS is much more challenging that PS)

Good luck with ur apps!
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Hey Avernusaur, thanks for sharing your experience.

After reading this post, I decided to purchase Total GMAT Math. The book, however, is not exactly what I had expected. Of course, I did not think it would be a miracle worker, but something seems a little off.

The book does cover a great deal of topics, but the amount of space devoted to each section is miniscule - 1.5 to 3 pages at most. The rest is spent on questions. This would normally be fine, but it seems that the book doesn't cover the material sufficiently for readers to answer the end-of-chapter questions. I have dealt and looked at other math guides, and they don't have this characteristic.

Is my approach to this book wrong? I'm concerned that, even after reviewing the answers, I will only be able to answer these particular questions and not different ones because I lack the necessary math skills and concepts.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be VERY grateful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management, Strategy & Finance
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V42
Send PM
CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Sentence Correction
Schools:BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Send PM
Congrats again.

And we appreciate the thorough review.
Director
Director
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
Hey Avernusaur, thanks for sharing your experience.

After reading this post, I decided to purchase Total GMAT Math. The book, however, is not exactly what I had expected. Of course, I did not think it would be a miracle worker, but something seems a little off.

The book does cover a great deal of topics, but the amount of space devoted to each section is miniscule - 1.5 to 3 pages at most. The rest is spent on questions. This would normally be fine, but it seems that the book doesn't cover the material sufficiently for readers to answer the end-of-chapter questions. I have dealt and looked at other math guides, and they don't have this characteristic.

Is my approach to this book wrong? I'm concerned that, even after reviewing the answers, I will only be able to answer these particular questions and not different ones because I lack the necessary math skills and concepts.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be VERY grateful.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't been very active on the forum lately. I'll try to give you some advice, but I everyone's learning experience is different.

Although the book does cover every topic, I had a pretty decent foundation before I started (Q47-48). In my experience, everything in the Practice Questions was covered in the previous text. If you think you need a stronger foundation of the fundamentals, I'm a fan of the Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook - this is the book that I used for my first GMAT attempt. If you want to test your knowledge, start doing practice questions from a variety of resources.

What I liked most about the Total GMAT Math approach to learning is that it teaches you the GMAT question framework through repetition. After a while, you'll start noticing patterns that will allow you to pick your approach very quickly. At times it might feel like the questions are all the same with a different outfit on them, but that's the way the GMAT really is. Knewton actually uses the same strategy.

I hope my response wasn't too late! Let us know how you're doing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 461 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
Send PM
Congrats!! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2860 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Wow.. Really inspiring post!
Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
Congradulations!!! Awesome score and great debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
The Recommendations
Quant
For quant, I used Jeff Sackmann’s Total GMAT Math, as well as his Extreme Challenge Questions Set. Total GMAT Math is by far the most thorough quant book available for the GMAT. It starts with the assumption that you know nothing about the GMAT and ends with the most difficult subjects, such as combinations, permutations, probability, and symbolism. Total GMAT Math contains every concept that you will need on the GMAT, but it won’t expose you to every combination of concepts. This is where the Extreme Challenge set comes in. The question set contains 100 questions that are all 720+ difficulty level. What I liked most about this question set is that it requires you to solve difficult questions by combining concepts. Consider the following question:

"How many ways can you select 4 people from 5 married couples if no two people from the same couple can be selected?"

You know that order doesn’t matter, but you can’t really solve this question with the combinations approach either. What’s the solution? You use the permutation approach and divide out the number of ways they can be ordered.

(10x8x6x4)/(4x3x2x1) = 80

Jeff Sackmann’s explanations are outstanding and all of these questions appear to be based on official questions.

Can you guide me from where can I get these books... I dont see them in Amazon! :( Moreover they aren't listed in the forum site too!
Director
Director
Send PM
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
The Recommendations
Quant
For quant, I used Jeff Sackmann’s Total GMAT Math, as well as his Extreme Challenge Questions Set. Total GMAT Math is by far the most thorough quant book available for the GMAT. It starts with the assumption that you know nothing about the GMAT and ends with the most difficult subjects, such as combinations, permutations, probability, and symbolism. Total GMAT Math contains every concept that you will need on the GMAT, but it won’t expose you to every combination of concepts. This is where the Extreme Challenge set comes in. The question set contains 100 questions that are all 720+ difficulty level. What I liked most about this question set is that it requires you to solve difficult questions by combining concepts. Consider the following question:

"How many ways can you select 4 people from 5 married couples if no two people from the same couple can be selected?"

You know that order doesn’t matter, but you can’t really solve this question with the combinations approach either. What’s the solution? You use the permutation approach and divide out the number of ways they can be ordered.

(10x8x6x4)/(4x3x2x1) = 80

Jeff Sackmann’s explanations are outstanding and all of these questions appear to be based on official questions.

Can you guide me from where can I get these books... I dont see them in Amazon! :( Moreover they aren't listed in the forum site too!

https://www.totalgmatmath.com/

It's an e-book that's delivered in PDF format via email. Great content, but a bit of a pain to print out and organize in a binder.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
congrats
and thanks for sharing your experience
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Avernusaur,

How did you study Jeff's book? Did you read the whole book, or did you skip some chapters?

How long did it take you to finish the book?

Why did you prefer to use an ultimate set rather than GMAT Club tests? I know you wrote that GMAT Club tests had been demoralizing. However, wasn't they good for practice?

When solving problems from the Ultimate GMAT Math, did you time yourself, or not?

Thank you for answering my questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nonameee wrote:
Avernusaur,

How did you study Jeff's book? Did you read the whole book, or did you skip some chapters?

How long did it take you to finish the book?

Why did you prefer to use an ultimate set rather than GMAT Club tests? I know you wrote that GMAT Club tests had been demoralizing. However, wasn't they good for practice?

When solving problems from the Ultimate GMAT Math, did you time yourself, or not?

Thank you for answering my questions.

1/2) With Jeff's book, I skimmed over the subjects that I already knew and spent most of my time working on the areas that I thought needed more attention. I don't remember how fast I worked through the book, but it was mostly paced by time required to complete the practice questions.

3) I preferred the Extreme Challenge set over the GC tests, because I thought they were the best representation of genuinely difficult GMAT questions. The explanations for each of the Extreme Challenge set questions are also really good, so you're not left on your own trying to figure out how to properly solve each question.

4) I don't remember if I timed myself with Jeff's material, but I had already developed a natural rhythm for solving questions in 1-2 minutes, so I typically made a note if I felt like the question took longer than it should have.

When it comes to selecting study materials, sample everything and choose what you think will work best for you. I used a larger variety of materials than most people, but that was mostly out of curiosity (I didn't use each resource 100%). You should take the free GC math test and see if it works for you. If you don't like it, try something else :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Avernusaur, thanks for answering my questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Really good info about Sackmann's study material!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Congrats on the awesome score and thanks for sharing your experience!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts