Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How I went from a 540 to a 740 on Test Day

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How I went from a 540 to a 740 on Test Day [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 16:12
I took the GMAT today, 10/19/2004, and got a 740. When I started taking the GMAT, I got a 540 on the PowerPrep test 1. I found the OG to be the most helpful; while on the internet I found some other sources and here I review them:

800score.com - They just copied questions verbatim from the Offiical Guide. This is not some brand new concept. To give them some credit, the review was useful.

Kaplan - Helpful initially but I don't recommend relying on these texts, way too difficult. Regular books are way too easy.

Princeton Review - These tests were way easier than the real test. However, their material is the best I have seen.

Thomson Petersons and the Cambridge CAT - Much better than Kaplan or TPR because the questions are more realistic.

Crack-Gmat - Is this web site a fraud if there ever was one. OK, so some of the math imparted useful information to their credit, but these tests were not written by native or fluent English speakers and you will spend more time trying to figure out non-standard English than you will learning anything useful. Regarding the verbal section, I think this could be detrimental to your score. I was worried I would be unable to 'unlearn' the material. GMAT English = American English, not Indian English.

Best of luck my test taking friends,

Gmat 740 in Chicago
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 18:12
Very impressive..Congratulations! :cool

Did you use Thomson Petersons for the test only? Do you know where one can get Cambridge CAT tests? Is it the one similar to Manhattan GMAT CAT?

Thank you in advance!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2004, 06:24
You can order Thomson Petersons books on the web. Yeah, the CAT used by Manhattan GMAT is the same one Thomson uses. You can just order it directly from Cambridge Review or Cambridge Education. Good luck!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2004, 09:38
Wow! Inspiring. Few questions
1. Quant verbal breakup
2. How many months did u prepare
3. Practice test score
4. Advise on how tough the math was or the verbal was in real test.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2004, 05:17
Can you elaborate on 'petersons GMAT' ?
How are their questions compared to the OG or real test?
Thanks
  [#permalink] 21 Oct 2004, 05:17