Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:34
Hi Freinds,

Just wanted to see how age plays a role in getting admitted to one of the top B schools.

Below is my profile:
B.S (Electrical Engineering) GPA: 3.7
M.S (Electrical Engineering) GPA: 3.9
Work Exp: 8 Yrs. of Work Exp. leading a team of 10 ppl

I have not given GMAT yet but just wanted to see if age would be a deterrent in my application.
I understand there are several other criteria’s like GMAT Score, GPA, Work Ex, Essays, Recommendations...Is age also a deciding factor in the admission process.

Please share your thoughts!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 114

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 11:01
Age is not a disqualifying factor, but once you hit about 30 and beyond it becomes increasingly more difficult to attend the typical 2 year full-time MBA programs. There are a few things for you to consider:

1. Have you thought about an executive program? These are directed towards individuals that have 10+ years of work experience, and can still be very prestigious
2. Have you thought about a part-time program? There are plenty of very strong part time programs, and often people have an average of 7 or so years of experience (this is much higher than full time programs)
3. Why do you want an MBA? To the outsider who is the typical 25 year old applicant, it would sound to them that you are already successful. Manager of 10 individuals... so why an MBA? Adcoms don't want to think that you are just going to an MBA b/c you've hit a roadblock in your career. They want individuals with lots of upside potential, and that's why younger strong applicants have an advantage. So what's motivating you? And how will that be looked upon?
4. Age is definitely something that Adcoms will look at, and most likely something that you will have to address very well in your applicantions. You have to decide why an MBA will still be benficial for you at 33, and what your exit opportunities will be once you leave school. Be realistic. If you are trying to do Investment Banking, it's going to be extremely challenging to land an entry level MBA job with no exerience at 33. So when you tell your story, you have to have a realistic growth plan that will show the Adcoms that you know where you've been and where you're going

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 12:35
Thank you for the detail reply!

I have given Executive and part time MBA some thought and am equally inclined towards them as well. My only concern is...Are they prestigious, well recognized and can get me a good job?

Now, I am in Boston, working for one of the top US bank. Boston also has some really good schools like HBS, Sloan…but I am not sure if their Executive/part time MBA programs are equally good or even comparable with Full Time programs?

I am in the IT division of a top US Bank and doing pretty well in my career BUT I have started to feel that I am not being challenged enough and am not using my skills to the fullest. Also, I have a strong desire/interest to get into Investment banking and this is motivating me to do an MBA.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 20:59
any specific schools you are planning to apply? I am "exactly" on the same boat as you are
Intern
Intern

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 18:42
After lot of thought and consideration, i am leaning towards part time MBA. I did some research and have been talking to folks...i think NYU Stern offers a great part time MBA program. Have you shortlisted your schools?
Intern
Intern

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 22:42
hi friends i have a one question in my mind can some one tell me what is B school .... plz explaine it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :arrow: .....................?

experthandicapper
Intern
Intern

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 03:01
THANKS FOR THIS KIND ACT. really i was looking for such kind of information as u gvn a answer thanks again........................experthandicapper........................
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon Business School - Class of 2012
GPA: 3.91
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 10:05
I don't see age as a major factor in qualifying you for a particular b-school. There were several students in my class who were over 30, and they were obviously accepted! The major consideration for these students was the opportunity cost of leaving the workforce for 2 years in order to pursue their education.

If you're worried about not having a peer group, that could be another consideration, as most students are in their twenties. However, in my experience, they older students fit in perfectly well and found a peer group. There is such a wide variety of people at business school that you'll most likely find a group of friends.

Amy Cope
MBA - Marketing & Pricing, 2012

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Reviews Badge
Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 16:25
Older applicants tend to flock to European schools so maybe you can check out few of them.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!!

Re: How Important is Age when Applying to B Schools   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2014, 16:25