Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How important is an 80/80 Split

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
How important is an 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 05:53
I have a fairly good GMAT Score 710, but my split is a bit off. I ended up with a 45q 42v, so a 71/95 split.

Now, I was a business undergrad, with a double major in marketing and finance, although it was at an unknown school and I had a 3.32 GPA, (3.78 in majors), I did well in all of my quant classes, (As with some Bs) was a math tutor throughout college, and every position I've held has been highly quantitative (E-marketing Analyst, Marketing Analyst, and IT Security Analyst)
I'm US White Male.

Now... Do you feel the fact that my quant is only in the 71st% B-schools will doubt my ability to grasp the quantitative aspect of their programs? Do you feel taking the GMAT for a 4th time, and raising my quant a few points will change my chances greatly?

I'm am very ready to put the GMAT to bed, but if it will really improve my chances that much, maybe 1 more shot is worth it... what do you think?

I'm targeting Fuqua/Darden/Ross - looking at a marketing / marketing research track
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is an 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 13:05
If I were you, I would not take GMAT again. I would not worry about the 71/95 split. As you have already taken the GMAT thrice, thats enough. I think 710 is a good GMAT score and ticks the boxes for your target schools. Focus on the other aspects of your application. Get your essays ready. I don't know when you want to apply but your essays matter more than your GMAT score now. Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For The Interview
MBA | Finance | Consulting

highwyre237 wrote:
I have a fairly good GMAT Score 710, but my split is a bit off. I ended up with a 45q 42v, so a 71/95 split.

Now, I was a business undergrad, with a double major in marketing and finance, although it was at an unknown school and I had a 3.32 GPA, (3.78 in majors), I did well in all of my quant classes, (As with some Bs) was a math tutor throughout college, and every position I've held has been highly quantitative (E-marketing Analyst, Marketing Analyst, and IT Security Analyst)
I'm US White Male.

Now... Do you feel the fact that my quant is only in the 71st% B-schools will doubt my ability to grasp the quantitative aspect of their programs? Do you feel taking the GMAT for a 4th time, and raising my quant a few points will change my chances greatly?

I'm am very ready to put the GMAT to bed, but if it will really improve my chances that much, maybe 1 more shot is worth it... what do you think?

I'm targeting Fuqua/Darden/Ross - looking at a marketing / marketing research track
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-11-2012
GPA: 3.51
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: How important is an 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 13:44
Definitely do not take the GMAT again. I have posted this earlier, but I had a friend that is at Kellog now and had a 690 Q42. He is a white male, worked at Delloitte for 3 years. He asked if he should retake the GMAT with his Quant being so low and they said no worries. They said the 690 was a checkoff. A 710 is a ridiculous score and no questions will be asked and your individual scores will probably not be looked at. Honestly, I hear a lot about the 80/80 split but I think that is more of a myth. It is easier for a native speaker to get a high verbal score and its easier for an IT/engineer person to get a high Q score.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: How important is an 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 14:21
ya I tend to agree. The only reason it would make sense to retake is if you really thought you left some serious points on the table (aka you had a Q50 on every practice test but you blew it on test day). Anything in that Q45 or above shows that you are strong quantitatively, but the GMAT quant is soooo crazy competative these days. I mean, the only scaled scores above 80% that you can possibly get are Q48, Q49, Q50, Q51, and MAYBE a Q52... that is only 5 scaled numbers. While in the verbal you can get V37 allllll the way to V51... that is 15 scaled numbers! So don't put too much emphasis on it. With so many foreign takers getting excellent math scores, but poor verbal, and then retaking, those Q48s and above are hard to come by.

Another factor to consider is that you have taken the test 3 times... that is really it. At this point, you have shown that you are capable of a Q45, and it would probably be very challenging for you to raise that score significantly. Why waste your time? At this point you should be extremely happy with your 710 and your time is much better spent on your applications.

The only time I would recommend a retake in this scenario is if you are sure that you can pull up you overall score by atleast 30 points and get a Q47 or better. Otherwise you are probably wasting your time. You are right at the average for every top 10 school.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How important is an 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 15:36
A GMAT of 710 is definitely not a deal breaker, irrespective of your split. Concentrate on your application essays now. You do not need to take the GMAT again.

Reach out to current students at your target schools. Definitely visit the schools too prior to applying. All these will help you in the admission process. Goodluck!

UberEssays
Essay reviews by your dream Schools’ students
Re: How important is an 80/80 Split   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2012, 15:36