Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How important is old low gpa with new respected credentials?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How important is old low gpa with new respected credentials? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 09:44
Hi,

I have a unique (at least I think it might be) possible application, and was curious of other applicant/admission officers perspective on the matter.

I went to Texas Tech for undergrad, general business/finance. I started there as a freshman, but my mom got cancer, so I left right after final drop day,
and got all F's and 1 C the first semester. I went back home, took care of mom, and came back to finish. But my community college gpa didn't transfer in,
so I have 5 extra 0's in the denominator and my undergrad gpa is about a 3.

Well, in college, and shortly after, I did very well financially, and when I was about 26, I retired, and live off my investments.
I traveled for about a year strait, lapping the globe.

So I also wanted to challenge myself and keep learning, even while traveling. So I took some extra accounting classes, and sat for the CPA exam.
And I took the first two CFA exams, and passed those in Dec, and the following June. I'm signed up for the 3rd and final exam, this upcoming June.

I'm also considering signing up for some actuary exams. I study math for leisure, and have reviewed the exam fm and p, and don't think I'd have any
problem with those, so I'll be signing up after the CFA exam.

I'm also a dual citizen (Italy and US). I've also been managing mine and some friends money. You'd classify me as a 'hedge fund' even though I don't hedge (of haven't anyways) and don't market to the public.

So my questions: I'd like to possibly enroll in Europe somewhere, as I'll be moving to London soon anyways.
My preferences would be LSE, Oxford or Insead. Maybe Berkeley or NYU in the states. I'd love something more economics or finance based.
I'd like to go for the network and several select courses and teachers at these respective universities. I'd estimate I'll get a low 700 on the gmat.

- Will such a low gpa from a mediocre school completely disqualify me?
- I realize that many don't know of the actuary exams, but in these specific schools, would they be given any credit along with the CFA?
- How should I position myself for advantage being a dual citizen? Apply as American for European schools?
- I'm also 30, and will be 31 by the time I get around to apply? Is this too old? Will my credentials look redundant possibly?

Thanks, and any other pointers/perspectives will be much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
How important is old low gpa with new respected credentials?   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2013, 09:44