Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How important is school choice regarding location

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How important is school choice regarding location [#permalink] New post 20 May 2007, 08:50
So I live in the bay area and am applying to schools all over. I want to go to the best school I can. I was wonderig if I want to end up back in the bay, is this a good idea?
I don't have the numbers to get into haas/stanford, but I'm looking at schools ranked in the 30-45 range.

If I want to end up back in the bay, is it worth it to go to a school on say the east coast compared to somewhere like USF, davis, irvine?
TIA
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2007, 18:40
It's definitely easier to conduct a job search in your backyard than across country. Coming out of HBS, there was a large contingent of my class that wanted to come out to the Bay and for standard jobs with standard companies in the area (think Gap, Well Fargo, etc.), it wasn't an issue but to find opportunities with smaller companies was. Within the last few years more and more people from my class have moved to the Bay, because they weren't able to conduct a proper job search when we first graduated.

I say all that to say, that it should definitely be a consideration. Not your only consideration, but you should probably apply to at least one bay-area school and then if you decide to go elsewhere, be prepared to make the investment to make the cross-country job search. Being from the area already will help a bit, but it can definitely be tougher to do.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 07:48
so, the maindraw back is the difficulty in job searching? that makes sense of course. Only other drawback I can see is lack of alumni/connections.

I'm just curious why a lot of people think it's not worth it to go outside of the area they want to stay in, unless it's a top 10 school they are going to, other than the reasons discussed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 09:35
Unless you can get into Berkeley or Stanford, you really don't have much of a choice but to look elsewhere. USF, SFSU, SJSU, SCU, etc are not even ranked in the top 50.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 18:34
I'd expand that rule of thumb to about the top 25. The main reason does have to do with recruiting -- after all why are you going to school? Even Wall Street Journal reports on "Regional MBAs". After the top 20, the vast majrority of recruiting happens regionally.

Lack of alumni / connections is pretty much just an adjunct to the recruiting thing.

http://www.mbagameplan.com