Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: How indepth should we go for an optional essays [#permalink]
Please use all the allowed space to share your experiences during that 8- month with the Ad Com. I am sure you must have had rewarding experiences during your travels , during your efforts at business launch , and also during your job search that contributed to your growth. Reflect on those experiences , make a list and then build a tsory that would not only engage the Ad Com , but also enhance their knowledge .

I `hope it helped.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by giving a kudos.
Director
Director
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Most optional essays are short, no more than 250 words. Be detailed, but be concise. You do not need 500 words to talk about everything you did during the gap in employment. Adcoms only want to see that you used the time productively. Also you need to devote a bit of space to why you were out of work.

Thank you. So, would you say the best approach would be including:
1. Why I was out of Work
2. What I did during that time
and nothing else?

I guess what I'm asking is, should this read more like a description of what happened, or should it have an introspective element to it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Most optional essays are short, no more than 250 words. Be detailed, but be concise. You do not need 500 words to talk about everything you did during the gap in employment. Adcoms only want to see that you used the time productively. Also you need to devote a bit of space to why you were out of work.

1. Why I was out of Work
and nothing else?

I guess what I'm asking is, should this read more like a description of what happened, or should it have an introspective element to it.

I think it would also make sense to add

3. And how did I grow from it as a person/professional / how did it give me a unique perspective that only I have?

That way you can show it is actually an asset rather than a weakness.
Director
Director
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

1. Why I was out of Work
and nothing else?

I think it would also make sense to add

3. And how did I grow from it as a person/professional / how did it give me a unique perspective that only I have?

That way you can show it is actually an asset rather than a weakness.

Well thats my question I guess, and I keep receiving contrasting opinions. Should optional essays be viewed as an opportunity to solely explain weaknesses in your resume/gpa/gmat OR in addition, should it also be used as another essay to reflect on your past experiences and growth from those situations...

If the latter, then isn't this an unfair advantage to those of us who need to write an optional essay? In a sense, we have another chance to complete an entirely new essay...

It is very probable that I am over thinking this... I know
Director
Director
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
Well thats my question I guess, and I keep receiving contrasting opinions. Should optional essays be viewed as an opportunity to solely explain weaknesses in your resume/gpa/gmat OR in addition, should it also be used as another essay to reflect on your past experiences and growth from those situations...

If the latter, then isn't this an unfair advantage to those of us who need to write an optional essay? In a sense, we have another chance to complete an entirely new essay...

It is very probable that I am over thinking this... I know

Most schools I applied to last year and what I've seen this year explicitly tell you not to do the latter. This is taken from Fuqua's website but many other school have similar statements.

Quote:
If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application). Note that you should NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area. The Optional Essay is intended to provide the admissions committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.

To me that is pretty clear that you aren't supposed to use this as a clever excuse to write an additional essay about how great you are. It is supposed to just explain any discrepancy or issue and end it there.

Thanks, cheetarah, mappleby, and everyone else, always nice to get the perspective of people who have been through the process already.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
You need to do all 3 within 250 words.
1) What caused the employment gap
2) What did you do during the employment gap
3) What did you learn/how did you grow during this time period

You don't have the room to wax poetic. It only takes 1 sentence to answer the first part, 4-5 sentences to answer the second part, and 4-5 sentences for part 3. I had to write an optional essay to explain a low GPA. I used the first paragraph to say what went wrong, second to describe what I have done since then to prove my analytical ability and maturity, and 2 sentences to say how I have grown up since undergrad. It was 248 words. It's definitely doable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
On a similar note, is a 4/40% score for Integrated Reasoning worth explaining in the Optional Essay?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
lv76 wrote:
On a similar note, is a 4/40% score for Integrated Reasoning worth explaining in the Optional Essay?

I definitely wouldn't. What could you possibly say? "I swear I'm good at reasoning!" It will just come out as excuses. If you're that concerned about it tAke the GMAT again. Also the IR section isn't being seriously evaluated. Don't draw any more attention to it.
Director
Director
Send PM
Just an update, I applied to 3 different schools, and used pretty much the maximum in each to explain my employment gap. 1 school was an applicant initiated interview, (denied) and I was invited to interview at the other 2 schools, still waiting on their decisions, but using the entire space did not negatively affect my application. Just make sure there is a good reason behind using the optionals.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Our philosophy is to keep it short and to the point. Admissions officers are very busy and they have limited time to read about every aspect of your candidacy. Also, use this space only for unique circumstances that directly impact your candidacy. Many candidates use this space to volunteer information that is not relevent to their candidacy and many circumstances, the information they provide damages their application.

So the take away here is be selective and strategic on what you present and how you present it.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
GMAT Club Bot