Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How is the GPA calculated...sounds silly but i have no clue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

How is the GPA calculated...sounds silly but i have no clue [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2004, 12:17
Hi all
I have done my engg from an REC in INDIA about 7 years back and we had percentage system.

I dont know how to convert that into a GPA. Is it that 70 percent plus is 4 and then 60 is 3.5 and so on and so forth??

Also - i have a progressive percentage of 58, 59, 64 and then 73. Top ranker used to be around 76-77. Guess this is a justifiable GPA - am increasing as i get more mature... :)
Also i used to devote a lot of time on chess in my first two years. Won a few tournaments at college level and also got a chance to represent my university.
Also - how to get the transcripts? Do i need to go to my college again?
Regards

To be or not to be....

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2004, 07:46
Expert's post
It really varies by school. But a lot of schools know that you can't really convert scores from many international schools... It just doesn't work out well. So, they tend to look at your performance relative to your class. This also helps to take into account that some schools are more competitive/challenging than others. But overall, it will really depend on each school that you're applying to.

That's good that your grades improved over time. Naturally, high grades all the time is ideal, but schools are very willing to believe that you grew more mature over time, as long as you provide good evidence of that.

And the chess thing is good! Don't be afraid to talk about that in your app. Don't present is as an "excuse" to cover for your lower grades, but instead use it as a means of showing how you have passion for something (and why).

For undergrad transcripts, b-schools usually want to see official transcripts that come straight from our university (signed and sealed; you don't even get to see them). My experience may be different than yours since I went to college in the U.S., but my undergrad college was great about handling them efficiently. You can call the registrar's office at your old school and they'll know exactly what to do. Just be sure to give them plenty of time. DON'T leave it until the last minute!

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews