Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how long does it take to review for the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

how long does it take to review for the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 01:55
Im planning to take the GMAT, how long does it usually take to prepare for this exam?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 650 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: how long does it take to review for the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 07:00
Welcome aboard! You'll be able to find a lot of answers in this thread:

I'll move your post there so that you could get more feedback. This forum where you initially posted in is dedicated to GMAT Club Tests only.

Have a nice preparation time! You might also check out the link below in my signature. Good luck!

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: how long does it take to review for the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 08:25
It really depends on what you're trying to get out of it. Answer these questions and it will help us answer your question better:

What school(s) do you want to attend?
What score are you aiming for?
What upper level math classes did you take in college (i.e., calculus, algebra, etc)?
What grade did you earn in each of those classes?
Are you a native English speaker?
How much writing do you do?
Is you current job very technical where you have to read lots of data and analyze it?
How many books/magazines do you regularly read in a month?
Did you take any philosophy courses in college to help with critical reasoning?
Do you know how to diagram a sentence, or do you know what this means?
Are you currently employed?
If so, how many hours per week do you work?
How much travel time is requried for your job?

In my opinion, the GMAT does a good job at testing the various skills necessary to succeed in b-school. (Or at least is appears to since I am not yet in b-school.) You can be the best analytical thinker but if you have no skills at verbalizing your thoughts or results to others, no one is going to think you're very smart.

The verbal part of the exam is the most important part of the exam. It can make or break your exam. Sure, the math is probably easier to improve upon, but the verbal seems to really be a hurdle for people to get over. It may not be true, but the verbal seems to be weighted heavier than the math. I scored an 84% in the verbal my first take and got a 82% overall. I scored 95% in verbal second time around and got a 95% overall. You might find similar results for others as well. Think about the questions I asked, answer them and I'll reply with my estimate of how long you should plan to prepare.

I prepared for 3 months part-time and went from a 650 to 720. I spent about 20 hours a week at it.

charleshesed wrote:
Im planning to take the GMAT, how long does it usually take to prepare for this exam?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: how long does it take to review for the GMAT?   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2008, 08:25