Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 17:14
I just purchased the MGMAT Guides yesterday and am almost done the first book (number property, Advanced topics left). I would like to take the test on September 2nd. My quant is not too bad (43Q) on the gmatprep. However, I bombed verbal with 22V. My question is that..in general..how long should I spend on MGMAT Guides? Especially the first five books since I am concentrating solely on quant at the moment.

I am asking this because I may need more than a month to prepare for verbal but at the same time I want to achieve 50+ Q. What should I do once I finish the MGMAT Guides...Should I get addition books like Kaplan and do their questions?

Thank you in advance.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 31

Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 17:28
Mahtab wrote:
I just purchased the MGMAT Guides yesterday and am almost done the first book (number property, Advanced topics left). I would like to take the test on September 2nd. My quant is not too bad (43Q) on the gmatprep. However, I bombed verbal with 22V. My question is that..in general..how long should I spend on MGMAT Guides? Especially the first five books since I am concentrating solely on quant at the moment.

I am asking this because I may need more than a month to prepare for verbal but at the same time I want to achieve 50+ Q. What should I do once I finish the MGMAT Guides...Should I get addition books like Kaplan and do their questions?

Thank you in advance.

43 on Gmat Prep is like a 40 on the real thing. To get to 50, you need to do a lot of work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 17:45
Yeah so what should I do after finishing the MGMAT? and how many days should I finish MGMAT by? I can study 5 hours a day on da week days and like 8 hours on weekends

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

VP
VP

Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 17:48
Mahtab wrote:
Yeah so what should I do after finishing the MGMAT? and how many days should I finish MGMAT by? I can study 5 hours a day on da week days and like 8 hours on weekends

It's not about quantity but quality. Some people can learn everything in a few days and some need a few months. Stop studying MGMAT when you know the material very well. After that the quant question on this site are excellent in addition to the GMAT club tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 18:10
So you think MGMAT covers all the content that I need to know for GMAT? After I cover the MGMAT concepts thoroughly, do you think I should just practice questions after questions?

VP
VP

Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 18:23
Mahtab wrote:
So you think MGMAT covers all the content that I need to know for GMAT? After I cover the MGMAT concepts thoroughly, do you think I should just practice questions after questions?

All GMAT questions are based on certain fundamental concepts. GMAT will try and trick you by combining concepts, asking questions in a tricky way, for example. The key is to learn the fundamental concepts, MGMAT guides, and apply those same concepts to more difficult problems.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 18:37
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 136

Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 07:07
Hi, Mahtab!

I think, you are the guy who sent me email the other day. You are from BD? I am from there but live in Kabul.
It's really good to prep using MGMAT books. By the way, which edition of MGMAT books are you talking about?

All the best with your journey!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 08:01
Hey! Yeahh its me. I am using the fourth edition (I believe thats their latest). Also, I am probably going to buy their new books that are coming out on the may 31st. ps. im from canada lol

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 06:44
While preparing with MGMAT guides and practicing OG questions, I would suggest using the MGMAT's OG Archer. If you want the free version, Lite would be a good tool to track mistakes and areas of weakness. Below is the link

http://www.manhattangmat.com/ogc-plus.cfm

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 06:46
Thanks a lot! I will definitely use this tool to track my efficiency.

Re: How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES?   [#permalink] 21 May 2011, 06:46