Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How long to spend on MGMAT guides?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 10:31
I have 2 questions here:

I am preparing for the GMAT since 4 weeks now and I have predominantly used the MGMAT guides(all 8 + FoM book). So how many hours/days did you guys spend reviewing these books? I know that time is a subjective factor. In my case, I could finish 3 books of Quant very easily,in 1-2 days each; But, I'm stuck with the MGMAT NP and WT book. It is taking me forever :x . Finally, I gave up on the advanced section of the NP guide and now am reviewing the WT book.

I find the Combinatorics chapter hard - unable to grasp basics. So,should I just forget the chapter(risky!!) or get a high School Math book and re-visit the basics?
If I get through these two books, my Quant prep will be good to go....Please suggest/advice/whatever :-)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Joined: 16 Dec 2010
Posts: 651
Location: United States (CA)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 11:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
"How much time?" is a pretty vague question without us knowing more information--that would be like asking "how much should I work out?" The only answer I could give you now: as much time as it takes.

I see you got a 490 on your first GMAT--what was the breakdown on Q/V? How much studying did you do prior to it? Have you studied more and taken another CAT since then? If so, what was that score? What is your goal score for the schools you want to apply to? Are you happy getting in the middle 80% range for the school, or do you think you need an outstanding GMAT score to make up for other perceived weaknesses in your overall profile?

NP and WT are fairly important if you want a good quant score--if you can't grasp them yourself, see if you can find someone to help explain them.
_________________

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1477
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 11:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
heygirl wrote:
I have 2 questions here:

I am preparing for the GMAT since 4 weeks now and I have predominantly used the MGMAT guides(all 8 + FoM book). So how many hours/days did you guys spend reviewing these books? I know that time is a subjective factor. In my case, I could finish 3 books of Quant very easily,in 1-2 days each; But, I'm stuck with the MGMAT NP and WT book. It is taking me forever :x . Finally, I gave up on the advanced section of the NP guide and now am reviewing the WT book.

I find the Combinatorics chapter hard - unable to grasp basics. So,should I just forget the chapter(risky!!) or get a high School Math book and re-visit the basics?
If I get through these two books, my Quant prep will be good to go....Please suggest/advice/whatever :-)


Move on when you know the fundamentals cold. NP is one of the most important books so you need to know that well. It's okay to skip around.

If I were you I would go through the GMAT Club Math Book and review the information along with your MGMAT guides. This way you will get a different perspective.

gmat-math-book-87417.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 15:05
emont wrote:
"How much time?" is a pretty vague question without us knowing more information--that would be like asking "how much should I work out?" The only answer I could give you now: as much time as it takes.

I see you got a 490 on your first GMAT--what was the breakdown on Q/V? How much studying did you do prior to it? Have you studied more and taken another CAT since then? If so, what was that score? What is your goal score for the schools you want to apply to? Are you happy getting in the middle 80% range for the school, or do you think you need an outstanding GMAT score to make up for other perceived weaknesses in your overall profile?

NP and WT are fairly important if you want a good quant score--if you can't grasp them yourself, see if you can find someone to help explain them.

I got a 490 on the real test that I took a few months back. I gave myself a break and I started to prepare again now. My break down was 34Q and 18 V. I took a MGMAT CAT a week back and I scored a 540 (40Q, 26V). I'm not really sure of the exact break-up here but was somewhere like that. I need 580-600 for my programs of choice but I do have a little weak point in my application so would like to shoot for a 650 :| . Also, a 650 will allow me to apply to other Schools in my area. MY test date is in the last week of march.

I'm thinking of picking up a high School Math book to review Combinatorics concepts :oops: . Np - may be I need to go through the book once again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 15:07
lagomez wrote:
Move on when you know the fundamentals cold. NP is one of the most important books so you need to know that well. It's okay to skip around.

If I were you I would go through the GMAT Club Math Book and review the information along with your MGMAT guides. This way you will get a different perspective.

gmat-math-book-87417.html


gmatclub math book is a good idea. I can't believe that I forgot about it :? . Yes, different perspective is what I need. Some principles in the MGMAT guides don't seem to get into me,although the material is awesome.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1637
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 476 [2] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 09:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As some have already stated, the Number Properties guide is crucial for a strong performance on the GMAT. I read the book twice and don't regret doing so. I didn't find the Word Translations guide that helpful, but I'm in the minority here. I learned better through practice for WT.

Read as much as you can in a day. If you feel a little tired, take a break or switch to some verbal prep. After that, switch back to quant. This way, you might feel a tad fresher. Four hours on one specific topic killed me. But two hours on NP, two hours on verbal, and then two hours on NP wasn't as bad. Plus, I covered more in the day with this approach!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 18:39
bmillan01 wrote:
As some have already stated, the Number Properties guide is crucial for a strong performance on the GMAT. I read the book twice and don't regret doing so. I didn't find the Word Translations guide that helpful, but I'm in the minority here. I learned better through practice for WT.

Read as much as you can in a day. If you feel a little tired, take a break or switch to some verbal prep. After that, switch back to quant. This way, you might feel a tad fresher. Four hours on one specific topic killed me. But two hours on NP, two hours on verbal, and then two hours on NP wasn't as bad. Plus, I covered more in the day with this approach!

Yeah, its hard for me to concentrate on 'reading' throughout the day, so I switch to RC sometimes :wink:
Actually, the reason for this post is that I found some members here say that they finished the MGMAT strategy guides pretty fast! This made me wonder if I'm going too slow. It took me over a week for NP book and I still owe that book another reading.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 107
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 21:16
I don't think that how fast someone else studies should be applicable. If you take a little longer to absorb the material, then so be it.


In the end, it's what you get that matters, not anyone else.

Just take it slow and consistent :D
_________________

GOAL: 7xx

Director
Director
avatar
Status: -=GMAT Jedi=-
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 741
Location: Kochi, India
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 22:07
Interesting Topic!

I thought I'll share my experience with the Quant Books of the Manhattan Series.

I've 'read' all the books cover to cover... Repeat 'Read'. However, I haven't solved any of the 'In Action' problems given at the end of each chapter. Instead, I solve questions from the OG.
[NOTE: I 'read' through the 5 books within a span of two to three days]
I use this approach because I am comfortable with the concepts but I require exposure to more questions.

I haven't tested the merits of this strategy though.
_________________

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 06:51
snkrhed wrote:
I don't think that how fast someone else studies should be applicable. If you take a little longer to absorb the material, then so be it.


In the end, it's what you get that matters, not anyone else.

Just take it slow and consistent :D
Yes, I was a little apprehensive about the time it is taking me but looks like I have to sit with it,no matter what :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 06:53
AmrithS wrote:
Interesting Topic!

I thought I'll share my experience with the Quant Books of the Manhattan Series.

I've 'read' all the books cover to cover... Repeat 'Read'. However, I haven't solved any of the 'In Action' problems given at the end of each chapter. Instead, I solve questions from the OG.
[NOTE: I 'read' through the 5 books within a span of two to three days]
I use this approach because I am comfortable with the concepts but I require exposure to more questions.

I haven't tested the merits of this strategy though.

Wow,3 days for 5 books :)
I think you were one of the persons, whose posts I was reading(about finshing the books in 3 days or so) and then I got this doubt in my mind too :-D !!
I do go through the in-action problems but only for topics that I find hard.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: -=GMAT Jedi=-
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 741
Location: Kochi, India
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 10:19
To be honest, in my opinion, the 'in action' problems are there for the readers to get conceptual clarity rather than provide practice questions for GMAT.
I learned all the math fundamentals pretty thoroughly while at school (7 years back) and of late while going through the Manhattan Guides, I see it all coming back to me! :D
That is the reason why I don't do the 'In Action' problems.

However, my English is not equally good :(
Therefore, for the Verbal Books I do the 'In Action' stuff too...
_________________

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 12:54
AmrithS wrote:
To be honest, in my opinion, the 'in action' problems are there for the readers to get conceptual clarity rather than provide practice questions for GMAT.
I learned all the math fundamentals pretty thoroughly while at school (7 years back) and of late while going through the Manhattan Guides, I see it all coming back to me! :D
That is the reason why I don't do the 'In Action' problems.

However, my English is not equally good :(
Therefore, for the Verbal Books I do the 'In Action' stuff too...

AmrithS, thanks for sharing your experience
Banned
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Posts: 103
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 13:46
I have spent about 12 hours on the number properties MGMAT guide. I will probably put in about 5-8 more to really make sure I know the fundamentals cold. I haven't taken the gmat yet, but I've got to think if you put in 20 hours for each book in the series you are going to make a damn good score.
Re: How long to spend on MGMAT guides?   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2011, 13:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
How Long Should I spend on MGMAT GUIDES? Shoumik 10 19 May 2011, 17:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic how to work with MGMAT guids... ashkanator 2 21 Mar 2011, 11:51
5 GMAT Monitors How Long You Spend On Questions? dominion 3 18 Jan 2008, 16:53
How long do you spend double checking an answer Tuneman 4 15 Mar 2007, 15:46
How long should i spend in studying? xBluehulkx 0 01 Dec 2004, 02:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How long to spend on MGMAT guides?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.