Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How long to study for the GMAT with PCS?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

How long to study for the GMAT with PCS? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 08:03
Hey guys,

I'm planning on taking the GMAT very soon. The university I wish to apply to has its deadline on April 30th 2013 so I've still got some time.

I have to achieve a minimum score of 680 to be able to apply. I went to get 3 GMAT books at the library of my university the other day to be able to study.
The books are:
-Cracking the GMAT / Geoff Martz and Adam Robinson
-The official guide for GMAT® review : the only study guide with more than 800 past GMAT questions - and their answers - by the creators of the test / from the Graduate Management Admission Council
-Préparation au GMAT : méthode d'entraînement complète avec 4 tests blancs corrigés : votre passeport pour le MBA / Steven W. Dulan et la Faculty of Advantage Education

In your opinion, how long should one study for the GMAT. I was thinking of taking the test around the 15-20th of December, does that sound reasonable?

On another note, I'm experiencing a lot of PCS (Post concussion symptoms). I was injured during a hockey game about a month ago, I got a broken nose, broken cheekbone, perforated sinus, 4 of my teeth are numb, damage to the ligaments of my shoulder and a severe concussion (lots consciousness for 5-8 minutes).

I'm being closely monitored by a physio by the way.
Thing is I'm tired all the time even though I sleep 8-9 hours, I get huge headaches in the morning and during the day, I can't watch tv or stay in front of a computer for more than 10-15 minutes otherwise I go crazy, I often get lightheaded.
Anyway, I don't feel that great.

Taking this into account I want to leave myself enough time to study. I know that in the end, only I can know how I feel and how long I need but on average, how long do you guys think it takes to properly study for this test?

I got 104 at the TOEFL about a year ago so I'm quite confident for the GMAT. English is one of my mothertongues with french. I only speak english with my family though since I live in Switzerland. I've had a few courses in english at university but the majority (97%) have been in english.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: How long to study for the GMAT with PCS? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 09:11
It really all depends on what level you are at right now. I would take a practice GMAT test to get a good idea about your current level. GMAT Prep is the best practice test out there.

The amount of time that you need to study will really be self determined. If you score a 500, then you have a ways to go till you can take the GMAT and get a 680. On the other hand, if you score a 650 then you won't have to study nearly as much.

That being said, it would not be strange to study 100 hours for the GMAT. And, If I were you, I would wait to take the practice test till the side effects from your concussion subside.

Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Intern
Intern

Re: How long to study for the GMAT with PCS? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 08:08
ngould wrote:
It really all depends on what level you are at right now. I would take a practice GMAT test to get a good idea about your current level. GMAT Prep is the best practice test out there.

The amount of time that you need to study will really be self determined. If you score a 500, then you have a ways to go till you can take the GMAT and get a 680. On the other hand, if you score a 650 then you won't have to study nearly as much.

That being said, it would not be strange to study 100 hours for the GMAT. And, If I were you, I would wait to take the practice test till the side effects from your concussion subside.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your response.

So, before studying anything, you would take a practise test? without even opening the studying book?

Of course it's personal and only I can get a sense of where I am in my progress but on average, how long did you guys take to study?

I mean, we're not talking 3-4 months of studying here, right? just to have an approx. average.

Taking into account my relatively good level of english (mothertongue + 104 score at TOEFL having not studied that much), do you think I can manage 680?

I'm aware that this is a weird question for you guys but I'm just trying to plan things here. It's not easy with all these headaches and everything else (like today I literally could not concentrate for more than 20 seconds)
I just wanna be sure I can manage to send my application with all my test scores, papers, etc... by the deadline, which is April 30th.
Intern
Intern

Re: How long to study for the GMAT with PCS? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 07:22
Like, for example, nobody takes 2-3 whole months to study for the test right?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 63

Re: How long to study for the GMAT with PCS? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 07:31
You should take a look at this link

gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html

if you want some free tests later on

all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Also read these links about the scoring algorithm of the gmat

gmat-prep-analysis-tool-102803.html
un-scientific-analysis-of-gmatprep-64970.html
Re: How long to study for the GMAT with PCS?   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2012, 07:31