Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many different positive integers are factors of 441

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

How many different positive integers are factors of 441 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 01:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:43) correct 40% (01:11) wrong based on 167 sessions
How many different positive integers are factors of 441

A. 4
B. 6
C. 7
D. 9
E. 11

Can this be solved using the method of (p+1) * (q+1) * (r+1) when the given no is of the prime no of the form N=a^p b^q c^r where a,b,c are prime factors ? Can you please clarify whether my approach is correct?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 13 Apr 2012, 05:37, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 03:55
Yeah you are absolutely right!

The answer is 3^2*7*2

Powers of prime factors adding one on to it and multiply :-)


(2+1)*(2+1)=9

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 91
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 05:27
sugu86 wrote:
How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? (A) 4 (B) 6 (C) 7 (D) 9 (E) 11. OA is D. Can this be solved using the method of (p+1) * (q+1) * (r+1) when the given no is of the prime no of the form N=a^p b^q c^r where a,b,c are prime factors ? Can you please clarify whether my approach is correct?


Could you indicate where you found that method? I have not heard of it and I am curious b/c it may be faster than the way I usually approach prime factorization problems....

Usually check if the number is divisible by 2, then 5, then 3, etc... (7, 11, 13,17, ....)
Here 441 is:
- clearly not divisible by 2 or 5 (not even or ending with a 5 or 0)
- divisible by 3 (sum of the digits is 4+4+1=9 divisible by 3)
441 = 3 * 100 + 141 = 3 * 100 + 120 + 21 = 3 *(100+40+7) = 3 * 147 (I would do the middle step in my head so to speak)
same thing with 147
147 = 120 + 27 = 3 * 49
and 49 = 7^2

so 441 = 3^2 * 7^2

Note that I found those links interesting:
http://www.f1gmat.com/data-sufficiency/ ... ility-rule (Not specific to GMAT)
Jeff Sackmann - specific to GMAT strategies:
http://www.gmathacks.com/mental-math/factor-faster.html
http://www.gmathacks.com/gmat-math/numb ... teger.html
http://www.gmathacks.com/main/mental-math.html (general tricks)
_________________

Kudos is a great way to say Thank you...

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23422
Followers: 3616

Kudos [?]: 28964 [7] , given: 2874

Re: How many different positive integers are factors of 441 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 05:43
7
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sugu86 wrote:
How many different positive integers are factors of 441

A. 4
B. 6
C. 7
D. 9
E. 11

Can this be solved using the method of (p+1) * (q+1) * (r+1) when the given no is of the prime no of the form N=a^p b^q c^r where a,b,c are prime factors ? Can you please clarify whether my approach is correct?


MUST KNOW FOR GMAT:

Finding the Number of Factors of an Integer

First make prime factorization of an integer n=a^p*b^q*c^r, where a, b, and c are prime factors of n and p, q, and r are their powers.

The number of factors of n will be expressed by the formula (p+1)(q+1)(r+1). NOTE: this will include 1 and n itself.

Example: Finding the number of all factors of 450: 450=2^1*3^2*5^2

Total number of factors of 450 including 1 and 450 itself is (1+1)*(2+1)*(2+1)=2*3*3=18 factors.

For more on these issues check Number Theory chapter of Math Book: math-number-theory-88376.html

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION.

How many different positive integers are factors of 441
A. 4
B. 6
C. 7
D. 9
E. 11

Make prime factorization of 441: 441=3^2*7^2, hence it has (2+1)(2+1)=9 different positive factors.

Answer: D.

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 235
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 00:00
GreginChicago wrote:
sugu86 wrote:
How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? (A) 4 (B) 6 (C) 7 (D) 9 (E) 11. OA is D. Can this be solved using the method of (p+1) * (q+1) * (r+1) when the given no is of the prime no of the form N=a^p b^q c^r where a,b,c are prime factors ? Can you please clarify whether my approach is correct?


Could you indicate where you found that method? I have not heard of it and I am curious b/c it may be faster than the way I usually approach prime factorization problems....

Usually check if the number is divisible by 2, then 5, then 3, etc... (7, 11, 13,17, ....)
Here 441 is:
- clearly not divisible by 2 or 5 (not even or ending with a 5 or 0)
- divisible by 3 (sum of the digits is 4+4+1=9 divisible by 3)
441 = 3 * 100 + 141 = 3 * 100 + 120 + 21 = 3 *(100+40+7) = 3 * 147 (I would do the middle step in my head so to speak)
same thing with 147
147 = 120 + 27 = 3 * 49
and 49 = 7^2

so 441 = 3^2 * 7^2

Note that I found those links interesting:
http://www.f1gmat.com/data-sufficiency/ ... ility-rule (Not specific to GMAT)
Jeff Sackmann - specific to GMAT strategies:
http://www.gmathacks.com/mental-math/factor-faster.html
http://www.gmathacks.com/gmat-math/numb ... teger.html
http://www.gmathacks.com/main/mental-math.html (general tricks)



is 441 = 7 * 7 * 2 * 2...i think 441 cant be divided by 2

should it not be 7 * 7 * 3 * 3
_________________

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23422
Followers: 3616

Kudos [?]: 28964 [0], given: 2874

Re: How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 01:13
Expert's post
harshavmrg wrote:
GreginChicago wrote:
sugu86 wrote:
How many different positive integers are factor of 441 ? (A) 4 (B) 6 (C) 7 (D) 9 (E) 11. OA is D. Can this be solved using the method of (p+1) * (q+1) * (r+1) when the given no is of the prime no of the form N=a^p b^q c^r where a,b,c are prime factors ? Can you please clarify whether my approach is correct?


Could you indicate where you found that method? I have not heard of it and I am curious b/c it may be faster than the way I usually approach prime factorization problems....

Usually check if the number is divisible by 2, then 5, then 3, etc... (7, 11, 13,17, ....)
Here 441 is:
- clearly not divisible by 2 or 5 (not even or ending with a 5 or 0)
- divisible by 3 (sum of the digits is 4+4+1=9 divisible by 3)
441 = 3 * 100 + 141 = 3 * 100 + 120 + 21 = 3 *(100+40+7) = 3 * 147 (I would do the middle step in my head so to speak)
same thing with 147
147 = 120 + 27 = 3 * 49
and 49 = 7^2

so 441 = 3^2 * 7^2

Note that I found those links interesting:
http://www.f1gmat.com/data-sufficiency/ ... ility-rule (Not specific to GMAT)
Jeff Sackmann - specific to GMAT strategies:
http://www.gmathacks.com/mental-math/factor-faster.html
http://www.gmathacks.com/gmat-math/numb ... teger.html
http://www.gmathacks.com/main/mental-math.html (general tricks)



is 441 = 7 * 7 * 2 * 2...i think 441 cant be divided by 2

should it not be 7 * 7 * 3 * 3


GreginChicago is saying exactly the same thing!

Check for a solution here: how-many-different-positive-integers-are-factor-of-130628.html#p1073364
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 2868
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: How many different positive integers are factors of 441 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 03:00
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1088
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 170

Re: How many different positive integers are factors of 441 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 20:02
441 = 21^2

= (7 * 3)^2

= 7^2 . 3^2

Prime factors = (2+1) * (2+1) = 9

Answer = D
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Re: How many different positive integers are factors of 441   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2014, 20:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 How many different positive integers are factors of 441? lumone 4 02 Mar 2008, 13:01
How many different positive integers are factors of 441? A. blog 3 23 Jan 2008, 11:16
How many different positive integers are factors of 441? A) 700dreamer 8 06 Jun 2007, 18:32
How many different prime numbers are factors of the positive gmacvik 4 22 Oct 2006, 22:37
How many different prime nos are factors of the positive zoom612 5 30 Jul 2006, 04:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many different positive integers are factors of 441

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.