Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT in 4 weeks
Joined: 28 Mar 2010
Posts: 186
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 25

How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs an [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 06:15
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (02:23) correct 79% (01:59) wrong based on 14 sessions
How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs and Ys, and which contain neither three consecutive Xs nor three consecutive Ys?

(A) 74
(B) 66
(C) 76
(D) 68
(E) none of these
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 111
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: eight letter words [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 23:28
I am getting a huge number can someone pls explain the solution to the problem
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Posts: 76
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 31

Re: eight letter words [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 11:34
toughmat wrote:
I am getting a huge number can someone pls explain the solution to the problem


I am not 100% sure about my answer, how ever following is what i am thinking

possible letters are x and y, so for each letter in the 8 letter work there are 2 possibilities. so in essence there are 2^8 = 128 possibilities

3 consecutive xs means of the 8 letters 3 have only one possibility so there are 2^5 different ways = 32

same applies for 3 consecutive Ys = 32


so our answer is 128 -32 -32 = 64
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 570
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 13

Re: eight letter words [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 21:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
hussi9 wrote:
How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs and Ys, and which contain neither three consecutive Xs nor three consecutive Ys?

(1) 74 (2) 66 (3) 76 (4) 68 (5) none of these


Whats the source? i see a CAT in this:P
its D .68

I see this more of a pattern question + probability. Using pattern is very useful here as we have a constraint .

let f(n) = no of words with Xs and Ys
f(1) = 2 (XY, YX)
f(2)= 4 (XY XX, YX, YY)

Now the problem is F(3) .. we cant have 3 consecutive X or Y
so we can write F(3) = F(2)+(1).. this will give us a pattern
F(n) = f(n-1)+f(n-2)
f(3) = 2+4 = 6
f(4) = 6+4 = 10
f(5) = 10+6 = 16
f(6) = 16+10 = 26
f(7) = 26+ 16 = 42
f(8) - 42 + 26 = 68
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 3295
Followers: 225

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs an [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 10:16
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Booth Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1952
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 344

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: eight letter words [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 10:16
sudhir18n wrote:
hussi9 wrote:
How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs and Ys, and which contain neither three consecutive Xs nor three consecutive Ys?

(1) 74 (2) 66 (3) 76 (4) 68 (5) none of these


Whats the source? i see a CAT in this:P
its D .68

I see this more of a pattern question + probability. Using pattern is very useful here as we have a constraint .

let f(n) = no of words with Xs and Ys
f(1) = 2 (XY, YX)
f(2)= 4 (XY XX, YX, YY)

Now the problem is F(3) .. we cant have 3 consecutive X or Y
so we can write F(3) = F(2)+(1).. this will give us a pattern
F(n) = f(n-1)+f(n-2)
f(3) = 2+4 = 6
f(4) = 6+4 = 10
f(5) = 10+6 = 16
f(6) = 16+10 = 26
f(7) = 26+ 16 = 42
f(8) - 42 + 26 = 68


Bunuel, could you shed some light over here?

Cheers!
J
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 24153
Followers: 3742

Kudos [?]: 31454 [1] , given: 3383

Re: eight letter words [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 10:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
sudhir18n wrote:
hussi9 wrote:
How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs and Ys, and which contain neither three consecutive Xs nor three consecutive Ys?

(1) 74 (2) 66 (3) 76 (4) 68 (5) none of these


Whats the source? i see a CAT in this:P
its D .68

I see this more of a pattern question + probability. Using pattern is very useful here as we have a constraint .

let f(n) = no of words with Xs and Ys
f(1) = 2 (XY, YX)
f(2)= 4 (XY XX, YX, YY)

Now the problem is F(3) .. we cant have 3 consecutive X or Y
so we can write F(3) = F(2)+(1).. this will give us a pattern
F(n) = f(n-1)+f(n-2)
f(3) = 2+4 = 6
f(4) = 6+4 = 10
f(5) = 10+6 = 16
f(6) = 16+10 = 26
f(7) = 26+ 16 = 42
f(8) - 42 + 26 = 68


Bunuel, could you shed some light over here?

Cheers!
J


Not a GMAT question. Ignore it.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: eight letter words   [#permalink] 29 May 2014, 10:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic In how many ways can the letters of the word PERMUTATIONS be chandrun 16 17 May 2010, 13:01
Experts publish their posts in the topic How many letter combinations can be composed of letters of study 13 06 Nov 2008, 10:11
In how many ways the letters of the word DOUBLE be arranged mandy 2 04 Sep 2005, 13:05
In how many ways can the letters of the word double be Dan 5 31 May 2005, 22:40
How many different words can be formed with the letters of anirban16 2 19 Mar 2005, 08:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many eight letter words exist that are composed of Xs an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.