Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many essays/schools have you completed?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 06:37
jjanders wrote:
MIT - About 80% complete
Washington - 100% complete
Duke - About 80% complete
Kellogg - About 50% complete

Not sure where else I'm applying to. Probably Cornell but their application isn't up yet.

you..you...work too hard!!! need to chill and slack off more!!
lol jk.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 06:43
shmegs wrote:
Wow, you put me to shame...Tuck is maybe MAYBE 50% done the rest are all at 0%. Congrats man...

Well, I love writing, and typically sit down for a couple of hours every night to work on them, so I've made pretty good progress.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 07:36
I'm at the same stage as most of you guys (jjanders, what do you eat, man!). I finished the first drafts for Columbia .. i.e. essays under word limit, content almost finalized, no obvious grammatical errors etc. Waiting for review comments. Oh, and waiting for recos.

At least 2 more R1's to do. So I am kinda running out of time here :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 07:45
I am still on Kellogg. I have 1-3 done and almost final draft ready. Just a few more little things to work out but I could send them in today if I wasn't crazy about trying to make everything perfect. I have a rough draft of 4a and an outline for 4c.

Chicago, 1st essay havent done anything but Kellogg's #1 will make up a lot of the material with more details and specifics for Chicago. 2nd essay outlined. PowerPoint I have a rough idea of what it will look like but haven't even started on it.

MIT notes on what I will write about, which stories and some details. But I have two months so I am finishing GSB and Kellogg first.

Tuck a lot of stuff from Kellogg fits and its not until mid November so I am not worried.

R2 schools not even looking at them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 08:33
Alright, just got my resume draft 1 done. So far I like it... a mix between Tuck, Chicago, and Wharton formats, and IT FITS on one page! woohoo!

Haas essays survived 2 reviewers, with grammatical and tone fixes recommended.

Still need to do extracurricular and work history thing for Haas... then it sits back until I submit Kellogg, Stanford, and UCLA. I have 2 weeks then to do it.

Finished my 3 page letter to recommenders... need to write talking points for each school's questions soon. And finish a generic work/extrcurricular list for them.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 10:34
kryzak wrote:
and IT FITS on one page! woohoo!

It's amazing how much information you can put in a 1 page long resume, isn't it? When I first read that the resumes were supposed to be 1 page, my first reaction was, "Are they crazy?"
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 10:54
mNeo wrote:
kryzak wrote:

It's amazing how much information you can put in a 1 page long resume, isn't it? When I first read that the resumes were supposed to be 1 page, my first reaction was, "Are they crazy?"

The same with the essays. I am actually beginning to like the short 300-400 word essays. I can write without needing to be too creative with words or narration.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 11:06
I agree that it's the same with essays too (Although I still hate the 250 words limit. Essays should be at least 500 words - yeah, even the short ones). I have actually enjoyed the process of writing essays and even the process of reviewing them (It's amazing how much redundant and junk information you write in your first draft).

I know that I won't be enjoying the essays so much by the time I am working on my school #3 .. or when I get review comments like, "Dude, I think you should apply to schools that don't need essays" from the friends :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 11:18
I love writing, and tend to be a bit wordy/creative, so I can't stand trying to write an essay in 500 words or less
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 11:47
Hey Kryzak- where can I get the resume formats for b-schools? :) Have been looking for some but could not find any...

kryzak wrote:
Alright, just got my resume draft 1 done. So far I like it... a mix between Tuck, Chicago, and Wharton formats, and IT FITS on one page! woohoo!

Haas essays survived 2 reviewers, with grammatical and tone fixes recommended.

Still need to do extracurricular and work history thing for Haas... then it sits back until I submit Kellogg, Stanford, and UCLA. I have 2 weeks then to do it.

Finished my 3 page letter to recommenders... need to write talking points for each school's questions soon. And finish a generic work/extrcurricular list for them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 13:36
avi and ncprasad: I agree, short essays are actually really good for me now that I'm getting more used to it. It prevents me from blabbering about random things, and does relieve the need to have to come up with creative story telling ideas. The only thing is, I'm realizing that many of my essays, I barely have the space to mention an accomplishment, let alone answer the "for example?" question. I know you have to be specific, but that means every leadership trait you bring up must be supported by an equally long (or longer) sentence talking about an example of that trait. I'm having a very hard time even in 1000 words to get that in, let alone 500.

It does help me take out things that aren't important and really pick the strong messages, but I wish I had 200-300 more words to work with to make things more specific and supported.

dosa: I found sample resumes at http://www.mbagameplan.com. Look for their sample essays. They have templates for the different schools and how this one "Stephen" guy formatted his resume for each school. I would suggest a "hybrid" method just so you can submit your resume to all schools without having to tailor them and worry that Harvard will say, "wait, that's Wharton's format!" ;)

BTW, search "Tuck resume" in the B-school application board, you should find a link to a Tuck resume book. That helped a lot too. Just remember to put work experience first since we're applicants and not MBA students already.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 16:51
Finally!! Wrapped my chicago goals essay - 1496 words (1500 max)

As Borat says I like!!

Need to put the mandatory school visit in the Columbia essay, then that will be done.

I am doing a cross country trip to NYC from LA to transfer my brother's bed and motorcycle!!! Will visit columbia and nyu then, possibly in a U-Haul van. That should be a sight
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 16:51
Quote:
avi and ncprasad: I agree, short essays are actually really good for me now that I'm getting more used to it. It prevents me from blabbering about random things, and does relieve the need to have to come up with creative story telling ideas.

That's why I am not applying to Stanford. They force you to write touchy-feely essays. I can't stand it. Yuck!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 17:00
I forget which mba essay book it was, but it said that application essays are like love letters - you must pen your deepest passions and thoughts.

My love letters were more like - dinner at 8 (lets go dutch). Dont think that showed too much passion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 17:00
wait, Avi, how do you have time to do a cross country trip AND write essays for 5 schools in R1? Are you going to bring your laptop and write in the car? ;)

ncprasad: Yeah... very touchy feely... and after talking to 2 alums, that's pretty much what they said too. They're all about finding the most touchy-feely person you can find.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 17:48
It will take me a week - I need a break from writing essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 18:02
I think Bodine's book talked about the love letter thing ;)

well avi, you deserve a break, you already finished TWO schools when I have only one's drafts done...

When are you leaving? We'll miss you on the boards! :cry:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 22:49
mNeo wrote:
kryzak wrote:

This VP level person joined my previous company an as an intro sent us his resume - 29 pages long :shock: ........seriously crazy.....it actually included some poetry contest dude had won one class 5
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 23:29
sangoman wrote:
mNeo wrote:
kryzak wrote:

This VP level person joined my previous company an as an intro sent us his resume - 29 pages long :shock: ........seriously crazy.....it actually included some poetry contest dude had won one class 5

Lol, that's nuts. It's amazing how CVs/resumes differ from country to country...I'm used to a 1 page CV no more no less unless you've published...but after coming to India I've seen 3-4 page CVs that include everything from primary school to college, to events etc.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 23:35
I have seen resumes 6 pages long as a teaching assistant. I used them as paper rockets. You lose interest after the first 1.5 pages. Whats the point writing stuff someone did in their diaper days.
I love the KISS principle.
  [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 23:35