Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many gallons of water should be added to make the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 3

How many gallons of water should be added to make the [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:38) correct 67% (01:08) wrong based on 127 sessions
How many gallons of water should be added to make the average value of the mixture $480 per gallon.

(1) 5 gallons of Milk type I is mixed with 6 gallons of Milk type II.
(2) Milk of type I is $600 per gallon and the cost of type II Milk is 90% of the cost of Milk of type I.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by MichelleSavina on 22 Jan 2011, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 2

Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 05:45
IMO E. In the answers whater si not mentioned so we can not say how mach whater is needed...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 06:06
nov79 wrote:
IMO E. In the answers whater si not mentioned so we can not say how mach whater is needed...

thank you nov79.... :) but i guess that is what we are suppose to find.....
Can someone please explain it in another way....
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1111

Kudos [?]: 5042 [0], given: 164

Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 07:02
Expert's post
MichelleSavina wrote:
nov79 wrote:

Generally water is assumed to be available free of cost but it is an assumption. The writer of the question is probably testing whether you make that assumption. You should not, in a DS question. Had it been a PS question, and an answer was required, you could have assumed it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 10:11
hmm. why is it not B? if u know the prices per gallon, u know how much water u need to add to each one in order to make them worth 480.

or the questions is how much when milk I + Milk II is mixed?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1111

Kudos [?]: 5042 [3] , given: 164

Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
144144 wrote:
hmm. why is it not B? if u know the prices per gallon, u know how much water u need to add to each one in order to make them worth 480.

or the questions is how much when milk I + Milk II is mixed?

The question says that a mixture has milk type I and milk type II and now we need to add water to make the average value = $480. So how much water needs to be added?

To find the volume of water, you need to know the price of all three - milk type I, milk type II and water. You also need the volume in which milk type I and milk type II were added.

B alone isn't sufficient because it just gives you the price of milk type I and type II. We don't know the volume of these two. Even when you have both statements 1 and 2, you do not know the price of water (which may not be assumed to be available free of cost)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 21:21
Ye, thats ez. i thought they might be asking you to reduce the price of each one of them. Thanks.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 11:08
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MichelleSavina wrote:
nov79 wrote:

Generally water is assumed to be available free of cost but it is an assumption. The writer of the question is probably testing whether you make that assumption. You should not, in a DS question. Had it been a PS question, and an answer was required, you could have assumed it.

Hm.. that's confusing cause I remember doing a question where I had to assume that water was free of cost and it was correct anyway. I'll take it into account from now on

Cheers!
J :)
Re: How many gallons of water should be added to make avg $480?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2013, 11:08