Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Number Propertiesx                                       
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [197]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [47]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Yale, HEC
Send PM
Re: How many integers n are there such that r < n < s ? [#permalink]
Kudos
The "number" of n can be multiple of 4 or 5, says 8 or 10, 12, 15, ... can not be determined...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [2]
Send PM
How many integers n are there such that r < n < s ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ezinis wrote:
The "number" of n can be multiple of 4 or 5, says 8 or 10, 12, 15, ... can not be determined...

It seems that you misinterpreted the question.

Question ask about the number of integers between r and s, not inclusive.

For example: how many integers are between 10 and 15, not inclusive? Answer: 4, namely 11, 12, 13, and 14.
Or: how many integers are between 5.3 and 10.3? Answer: 5, namely 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

So taken together statements are sufficient to answer that there are 5 integers between r and s.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ezinis wrote:

For example: how many integers are between 10 and 15, not inclusive? Answer: 4, namely 11, 12, 13, and 14.
Or: how many integers are between 5.3 and 10.3? Answer: 5, namely 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

So taken together statements are sufficient to answer that there are 5 integers between r and s.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel ,

I understood your point , just wanted to ask one thing about my interpretation...

Can’t I have repetitive “n” ? We don’t know whether the numbers are in any sequence or not .

So , can’t I say this for option (i)

i ) s-r = 5

For eg, r = 1 and “n” can be 2 , 2,3,4,5,5 then s =6

So , s-r = 6-1 = 5 , but “n” can be anything between 1 and 6 ..

Please correct me

I know I am over assuming :(

chetan2u - plz guide

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
LeenaSai wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ezinis wrote:

Or: how many integers are between 5.3 and 10.3? Answer: 5, namely 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel ,

I understood your point , just wanted to ask one thing about my interpretation...

Can’t I have repetitive “n” ? We don’t know whether the numbers are in any sequence or not .

So , can’t I say this for option (i)

i ) s-r = 5

For eg, r = 1 and “n” can be 2 , 2,3,4,5,5 then s =6

So , s-r = 6-1 = 5 , but “n” can be anything between 1 and 6 ..

Please correct me

I know I am over assuming :(

chetan2u - plz guide

Posted from my mobile device

The answer to the question how many integers are between 1 and 6 is four: 2, 3, 4, and 5. How would you answer this? Would you include any of the integers more than once?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
How many integers n are there such that r < n < s ?

(1) s - r = 5
(2) r and s are not integers.

Data Sufficiency
Question: 49
Category: Arithmetic Properties of numbers
Page: 156
Difficulty: 650

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

Asked: How many integers n are there such that r < n < s ?

(1) s - r = 5
If s & r are integers such that s>r; e.g r=1; s =6 n = {2,3,4,5}; 4 integers
But if s & r are non-integers such that s>r; e.g r =0.5, s = 5.5; n={1,2,3,4,5}; 5 integers
NOT SUFFICIENT

r & s are take multiple values
NOT SUFFICIENT

(1) + (2)
(1) s - r = 5
s>r; e.g r =0.5, s = 5.5; n={1,2,3,4,5}; 5 integers
SUFFICIENT

IMO C
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(1) s - r = 5

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine the number of integers between r and s.

Statement One Alone:

Statement one alone is not sufficient. For example, if r = 1 and s = 6, then there are 4 integers between r and s, namely, 2, 3, 4, and 5. However, if r = 1.1 and s = 6.1, then there are 5 integers between r and s, namely 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Statement Two Alone:

Statement two alone is not sufficient. For example, if r = 1.1 and s = 2.1, then there is 1 integer between r and s, namely, 2. However, if r = 1.1 and s = 3.1, then there are 2 integers between r and s, namely 2 and 3.

Statements One and Two Together:

Both statements together are sufficient since there will be 5 integers between r and s when they are not integers themselves as we can see from the analysis from Statement One Alone when r = 1.1 and s = 6.1. We can prove this as follows:

Let [r] be the greatest integer less than or equal to r. Since r is not an integer, [r] < r. Since s - r = 5, s = r + 5, so the integers between r and s (or r + 5) are [r] + 1, [r] + 2, [r] + 3, [r] + 4 and [r] + 5. Therefore, there are 5 integers.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29906 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

(1) s - r = 5

Target question: How many integers n are there such that r < n < s ?

Statement 1: s - r = 5
The students who (incorrectly) conclude that statement 1 is sufficient make the very common mistake of assuming r and s are integers, even though the question doesn't state this.
Since the question doesn't specifically state whether r and s are integers, there are many different pairs of values but that satisfy the condition that s - r = 5. Here are two:
Case a: r = 2 and s = 7. Here, n can equal 3, 4, 5 or 6, which means the answer to the target question is there are 4 integer values of n such that r < n < s
Case b: r = 2.1 and s = 7.1. Here, n can equal 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7, which means the answer to the target question is there are 5 integer values of n such that r < n < s
Since we can’t answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Note: We can generalize the above results as follows:
- If r and s are integers, then there are 4 possible integer values of n such that r < n < s
- If r and s are not integers, then there are 5 possible integer values of n such that r < n < s

Statement 2: r and s are not integers.
Since we aren't told how far apart the values of r and s are, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

If you're not convinced, here are two conflicting pairs of values for r and s that satisfy statement 2:
Case a: r = 2.1 and s = 4.1. Here, n can equal 3 or 4, which means the answer to the target question is there are 2 integer values of n such that r < n < s
Case b: r = 2.1 and s = 3.4. Here, n can equal 3 only, which means the answer to the target question is there is 1 integer value of n such that r < n < s
Since we can’t answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Now that we know s - r = 5 AND r and s are not integers, we can apply our generalization above, which means the answer to the target question is there are 5 integer values of n such that r < n < s
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

Cheers,
Brent
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
I did r-r<n-r<s-r ---------0<n-r<5 and I got both choices as insufficient. Please tell me what have I done wrong. WHy is this not working BrentGMATPrepNow ThatDudeKnows JeffTargetTestPrep GMATNinja
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
I did r-r<n-r<s-r ---------0<n-r<5 and I got both choices as insufficient. Please tell me what have I done wrong. WHy is this not working BrentGMATPrepNow ThatDudeKnows JeffTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

I'm a huge fan of using number lines on inequality questions...something about visualizing makes it easier. Check out the attachment. The blue and red brackets are two of infinitely many possible brackets for which the range is five. The blue one has four integers between r and s. The red one has five integers between r and s.

Statement (1) allows for either the blue or the red, so we don't know whether n is 4 or 5. BCE.
Statement (2) allows for n to be anything. CE.
Statements (1) and (2) together remove the blue bracket from possibility and we left with only the red. n must be 5. C.
Attachments

Picture3.png
Picture3.png [ 56.6 KiB | Viewed 12531 times ]

Originally posted by ThatDudeKnows on 23 Jun 2022, 06:39.
Last edited by ThatDudeKnows on 24 Jun 2022, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Pls see what I had asked.
i am specifically talking about the approach I have used and hence please tell me in that context ThatDudeKnows

ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of using number lines on inequality questions...something about visualizing makes it easier. Check out the attachment. The blue and red brackets are two of infinitely many possible brackets for which the range is five. The blue one has four integers between r and s. The red one has three integers between r and s.

Statement (1) allows for either the blue or the red, so we don't know whether n is 4 or 3. BCE.
Statements (1) and (2) together remove the blue bracket from possibility and we left with only the red. n must be 3. C.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
Pls see what I had asked.
i am specifically talking about the approach I have used and hence please tell me in that context ThatDudeKnows

ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of using number lines on inequality questions...something about visualizing makes it easier. Check out the attachment. The blue and red brackets are two of infinitely many possible brackets for which the range is five. The blue one has four integers between r and s. The red one has three integers between r and s.

Statement (1) allows for either the blue or the red, so we don't know whether n is 4 or 3. BCE.
Statements (1) and (2) together remove the blue bracket from possibility and we left with only the red. n must be 3. C.

Okayyyy, but I think it's probably more useful to add to your skillset a way of thinking about inequalities questions, generally, than to focus on this specific problem...

Looking at statement (1) alone: 0<n-r<5. We are told that n is an integer. If r is an integer, how many values can you pick for n? 4. If you don't see this intuitively, try picking different integer values for r and then seeing how many possible n's there are. If r=0, n could be 1, 2, 3, 4. If r=1, n could be 2, 3, 4, 5. If r=62, n could be 63, 64, 65, 66. Whenever we pick an integer for r, n=4. If r is not an integer, how many values can you pick for n? 5. You could again try picking different values for r. If r=0.5, n could be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. if r=-37.2, n could be -37, -36, -35, -34, -33. n can be either 4 or 5. Do we have enough information to know the value of n? Nope. BCE.

Looking at statement (2) alone: Definitely not enough information to know the value of n. CE.

Looking at both statements together: From statement (1) we had two possibilities: n=4 or n=5. Statement (2) removed one of those from contention. We are left with only one. Do we have enough information to know the value of n? Yep. C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
ezinis wrote:

Thanks for the great answer Bunuel. However, I believe you made a minor typo and meant to say "Answer: 5, namely 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10," not "namely 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10," since 5 is not between 5.3 and 10.3.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
osocastello wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ezinis wrote:

Thanks for the great answer Bunuel. However, I believe you made a minor typo and meant to say "Answer: 5, namely 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10," not "namely 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10," since 5 is not between 5.3 and 10.3.

Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
ThatDudeKnows wrote:
Elite097 wrote:

I'm a huge fan of using number lines on inequality questions...something about visualizing makes it easier. Check out the attachment. The blue and red brackets are two of infinitely many possible brackets for which the range is five. The blue one has four integers between r and s. The red one has five integers between r and s.

Statement (1) allows for either the blue or the red, so we don't know whether n is 4 or 5. BCE.
Statements (1) and (2) together remove the blue bracket from possibility and we left with only the red. n must be 5. C.

Hi ThatDudeKnows - i am struggling to undertand what "n" should be, when I read the question stem specifically. Attached is the question stem :

Quote:

Attached is your visualization

Lets focus on the red line specifically :

-- Is "n" - the number of tick marks between 1.5 and 6.5 ?

OR

-- Is "n" - an actual NUMBER/ integer BETWEEN 1.5 and 6.5 ?
Attachments

Picture3.png
Picture3.png [ 50.38 KiB | Viewed 9391 times ]

e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jabhatta2
Thanks for your query.

As far as I can understand from your query, you are struggling with two main process skills – translation and visualization - ‘TRANSLATION’ of the question stem and then ‘VISUALIZATION’ of numbers on a number line.

Let me first help you with the translation, so that we at least understand the question completely. Then, we will move forward to a number line representation.

TRANSLATION:
Question stem: “How many integers n are there such that r < n < s?”.

Let’s try to translate this sentence piece-by-piece into mathematical terms. This will ensure that we don’t miss even a single word.
  • “How many integers n
    • Integers n – This itself makes it clear that ‘n’ is an integer.
    • This is all you need to know about ‘n’. (Spend time here and see why you were confused about the nature of n. Build the correct skills right here!)
  • “are there such that r < n < s”
    • This part clarifies that we have to consider only those INTEGRAL (integers) values of ‘n’ which are STRICTLY less than ‘s’ and STRICTLY more than ‘r’.

So, from the question stem, we understand that we need to find the NUMBER of integers (n) that lie between r and s, exclusive (r < n < s).

Now, let’s try to understand it’s visualization on a number line.

VISUALIZATION:
This is the number line representation you shared:

The main thing you need to understand is that in every basic representation of a number line, the tick represents the exact integer written below it.

Let’s try to understand that by just considering the red portion above as an example. Note that the starting mark represents ‘r’, and the end represents ‘s’.

Red portion:
Since the red line starts from some point between integers 1 and 2, we are considering ‘r’ to be something between 1 and 2. Say r = 1.5.
Similarly, since the red line ends at some point between 6 and 7, we are considering ‘s’ to be something between 6 and 7. Say 6.5.
Then, all the tick marks that you see between r and s are the integer values that n can take. If you count the ticks under the red line from the number line, you will find exactly 5 ticks. This means that there are exactly 5 integers between 1.5 and 6.5.
You can easily verify that by actually listing all the integers between 1.5 and 6.5. These are: 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. See how it is exactly 5 as we got by counting the ticks also!

Now, just try going to ThatDudeKnows’ explanation again. You should get it! 😊

Hope this helps!

Best,
Aditi Gupta
Quant expert, e-GMAT
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts