Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many members of a certain country club play both squash

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 19

How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (01:49) correct 7% (00:36) wrong based on 57 sessions
How many members of a certain country club play both squash and racquetball?

(1) 110 members of the country club play either squash or racquetball.

(2) 70 members of the country club play squash and 65 members of the country club play racquetball.

Thank you for your response.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by skbjunior on 12 Apr 2011, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [2] , given: 376

Re: Data sufficiency overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
skbjunior wrote:

(2) 70 members of the country club play squash and 65 members of the country club play racquetball.

I will upload OA soon. Thank you for your response.

(1)
n(R \hspace{2} \cup \hspace{2} S)=110
Possible that all 110 play both.
OR
40 play only racquetball, 40 play only squash and 30 play both.
Not Sufficient.

(2)
n(R)=65
n(S)=70
Possible that 65 play both games.
OR
35 play both games.
Not Sufficient.

n(R \hspace{2} \cup \hspace{2} S)=n(R)+n(S)-n(R \hspace{2} \cap \hspace{2} S)
n(R \hspace{2} \cap \hspace{2} S)=n(R)+n(S)-n(R \hspace{2} \cup \hspace{2} S)=65+70-110=135-110=25
Sufficient.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 19

Re: Data sufficiency overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 15:20
fluke wrote:
skbjunior wrote:

I will upload OA soon. Thank you for your response.

(1)
n(R \hspace{2} \cup \hspace{2} S)=110
Possible that all 110 play both.
OR
40 play only racquetball, 40 play only squash and 30 play both.
Not Sufficient.

(2)
n(R)=65
n(S)=70
Possible that 65 play both games.
OR
35 play both games.
Not Sufficient.

n(R \hspace{2} \cap \hspace{2} S)=n(R)+n(S)-n(R \hspace{2} \cup \hspace{2} S)=65+70-110=135-110=25
Sufficient.

Ans: "C"

Thanks for your response fluke. C is indeed an OA.
I chose E though because nowhere it is mentioned that 'all the members play either squash or racquetball' or '0 members play neither squash nor racquetball.' Is my thought-process wrong in this case?
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 297 [1] , given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Data sufficiency overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
(1) is insufficient as we don't know about the break-up of memebrs who play squash or racquetball

(2) is insufficient as we don't know how many total members are there

Combining (1) and (2)

110 = 70 + 65 - both

=> both = 135 - 110 = 25

Answer - C

@skbjunior
'all the members play either squash or racquetball' means that all the members play at least one of the two sports and a few of them *may* play both the sports.

As a rough example for visualization, If you draw a Venn diagram of two overlapping cirlces inside a rectangle, in this case the area outside of two circles and within the rectangle will be zero.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: Data sufficiency overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 21:49
skbjunior wrote:

I chose E though because nowhere it is mentioned that 'all the members play either squash or racquetball' or '0 members play neither squash nor racquetball.' Is my thought-process wrong in this case?

True. Your thought process is not completely off-track.
There could be 1000 members, out of which only 110 play either racquetball or squash.

Note, there are few formulas to find different things:

If you are given total number of members, then you would use the following and here, you would need that extra piece of information that everyone plays either racquetball or squash.
n(Total \hspace{2} members)=n(R)+n(S)-n(R \hspace{2} \cap \hspace{2} S)+n(Neither)

But, if we are not given how many "Total Members" are there, then we would simply use:
Here, we don't need the total member count or the extra piece of information.

~fluke

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 34

Re: Data sufficiency overlapping sets [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 05:31
fluke wrote:
skbjunior wrote:

True. Your thought process is not completely off-track.
There could be 1000 members, out of which only 110 play either racquetball or squash.

That is correct. Nowhere it is stated because you don't need this information to answer the question.

Note: It is wrong to assume from the first statement that the total number of members is 110 or that members who play neither sport are 0.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 11

Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 08:24
I tried doing it MGMAT way. and keep getting E. Please see the attachment. W/o knowing formula, i ended up using matrix, and having hard time to understand the OA. Can someone please advice/explain a bit more?
Attachments

OS.gif
OS.gif [ 2.02 KiB | Viewed 1242 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 34

Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
BDSunDevil wrote:
I tried doing it MGMAT way. and keep getting E. Please see the attachment. W/o knowing formula, i ended up using matrix, and having hard time to understand the OA. Can someone please advice/explain a bit more?

Matrix Additions/Corrections:

First of all cross out the 110 as total from the matrix. We don't know that.
Name the Question Mark (?) in your matrix as x.
The box below x as y
The box on the right of x as z.

Solution:

From Statement 1 we know that: x+y+z=110 (1)

From the Matrix we can see that x+y=70 (2) and x+z=65 (3)

(1)-(2) ---> z=40 : (3)--->x=65-40=25

So it is C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 21:19
I feel that the wording in this question is not very clear. Saying that "110 members of the country club play either squash or racquetball" sounds to my ears like 110 member play one or the other, but not both (this is the normal English meaning of either ... or ...). Is this the wrong way to understand this construction on the GMAT? If so, how would you expect exclusive or to be expressed?

Obviously in this case it means inclusive or because otherwise you seem to end up with 12.5 people playing both sports!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 34

Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 04:08
bobfirth wrote:
I feel that the wording in this question is not very clear. Saying that "110 members of the country club play either squash or racquetball" sounds to my ears like 110 member play one or the other, but not both (this is the normal English meaning of either ... or ...). Is this the wrong way to understand this construction on the GMAT? If so, how would you expect exclusive or to be expressed?

Obviously in this case it means inclusive or because otherwise you seem to end up with 12.5 people playing both sports!

Either A or B ---> A or B or Both.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55692.html

If it said All 110 members play either squash or racquetball that would mean that the total is 110 and that neither is 0.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 02:18
BDSunDevil wrote:

your matrix will work as soon as you put 0 in the 'niether squash nor r ball region. This is because the data given is about r ball or squash players....nothing is said about other members of the club. The '110' you have fited in the total bosx is the same 110 members of the country club who play either squash or racquetball. (as given in statement1)

EDIT: i MADE A MISTAKE IN WRITING 35....IT SHOULD BE 45....
Attachments

untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg [ 12.41 KiB | Viewed 1158 times ]

Last edited by Dreaming on 29 Nov 2011, 04:37, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [1] , given: 288

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
skbjunior wrote:

Thank you for your response.

I also tried using the Double-set matrix for this one, but in the middle of the problem changed to use the classic formula--> Total = A + B - Both + Neither
and realized I had everything. Sometimes, try to visualize the problem in its entirety and don't force a given method. There might be a better way to draw some logic conclusions, or use a backup approach.

Cheers
J :)
Re: How many members of a certain country club play both squash   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2013, 06:11